Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: It is not very often that it happens, but.. I have an issue

  1. #1
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default It is not very often that it happens, but.. I have an issue

    I have told myself after '09 spring black bear, that from there on if I shoot a black bear I will buy a gun instead of paying for the rug to be done. I gave that bear hide away to a forum member to try and self tan.
    This coming spring I plan on shooting 2 black bears.
    That is the issue. I have been buying items for my glock, new long slide and captured guide rods so far. Might get a new lower too from Lone Wolf when they come out. So I guess I will count this as my '09 bears gun. But really want a .22mag or .17hmr lever gun!
    So the new lever gun could go as pre payment for the first '10 bear, I will shoot one for sure. Not so sure on the second bear though, first year it will be legal in the area and like to eat them so will give a good try. On the other bear gun I am thinking of a muzzeloader, never shot one and never owned one and will offer new permit opportunities, plus with the right manufacturer could get other barrels down the road. Also think a nice .223 or .22-250 would be nice to varmits to other adequet game. Again never owned either of the rifles. Ohh just remembered I also like the 6.8spc either in mini 14 or some bolt gun.
    So just thinking out loud I guess. But would like to know what would be a good guns to purchase as I have not owned any of the listed above. Currently use the .375 ruger for everything and pack the G20 on the chest. Any advice will be taken graciously and considered. Thanks for any help!

  2. #2

    Default

    Avoid the 6.8 SPC as it will seduce you into an entirely different altered state of cartridge reality. You will experience things that the paper ballistics only hint at. This cartridge is like making love to the most beautiful women on earth when your 17 years old. You will be questing for the next 60 years, trying to replicate perfection.

    Trust me on this, I own four of the evil creatures, and today while saying goodbye to a Rock River AR-15 in 6.8 SPC, the evil wretch lay-ed three into 3/8" at 80 yards, and this with only a 1.25X to 4X Leupold European 30MM with the heavy German #4 reticle, and firing across the seat of a SWT.

    It is a evil, vile, awful, wretched, seductive, cartridge which is only useful on 87.5% of Alaska Game Animals, assuming a skilled operator. I do loath that cartridge so.

  3. #3
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Avoid the 6.8 SPC as it will seduce you into an entirely different altered state of cartridge reality. You will experience things that the paper ballistics only hint at. This cartridge is like making love to the most beautiful women on earth when your 17 years old. You will be questing for the next 60 years, trying to replicate perfection.

    Trust me on this, I own four of the evil creatures, and today while saying goodbye to a Rock River AR-15 in 6.8 SPC, the evil wretch lay-ed three into 3/8" at 80 yards, and this with only a 1.25X to 4X Leupold European 30MM with the heavy German #4 reticle, and firing across the seat of a SWT.

    It is a evil, vile, awful, wretched, seductive, cartridge which is only useful on 87.5% of Alaska Game Animals, assuming a skilled operator. I do loath that cartridge so.
    Awesome! Well I have also heard that are two chamberings this cartridge. Something about it was re-designed or the case neck changed a tiny bit so you have to make sure it is speced for the #2 chamber, is that correct? I seen one for sale on here the other day and it said it hade spec II chamber or something.

    Biggest decision will be what manufacturer and style of gun. Thanks for the heads up!

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Awesome! Well I have also heard that are two chamberings this cartridge. Something about it was re-designed or the case neck changed a tiny bit so you have to make sure it is speced for the #2 chamber, is that correct?

    Sorry, I do not know. I use factory ammo. Which brings up the only short coming of the cartridge for me, that ammo cost $15.99 to $19.99 per box of twenty. Making it .80 cents to a dollar per discharge. The internet site: Wikipedia might be a place to start research. I try to walk five miles per day, mostly in the Hope area, The LAR 6 has become my walk'about arm.

  5. #5
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    How heavy are you runnin with the 6.8?

  6. #6
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Well looks like....

    I have found a Henry Lever action .17HMR Varmit Express that can be ordered from a local dealer and will make it here next week. I think that will be my first purchase and what the heck, I'll count that for the '09 bear! The glock accessories are just for fun. So that gives me time to research what rifle I would want next.

    Yep even my prices on the 6.8spc are up there. But to be used a hunting rifle I don't the prices are that bad for quality ammo. Most expesive is the 110gr accubond at $27.95. But the 6.8spc seems like a neat little cartridge and I believe someone on here mentioned they were going to take it sheep hunting. But like I said, that purchase will come after the next bear kill.

    Anyone else doing something similar instead of having bear rug or mounts all over the house!?

  7. #7
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    ... I'll count that for the '09 bear! The glock accessories are just for fun. ....
    Well you ought to...if you dont fill out a form, it cant be a gun

    Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    ... Anyone else doing something similar instead of having bear rug or mounts all over the house!?
    Does having children count?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I have told myself after '09 spring black bear, that from there on if I shoot a black bear I will buy a gun instead of paying for the rug to be done. I gave that bear hide away to a forum member to try and self tan.
    We Gun Nuts are Sooooo Creative.

    Ahh, this is a great principal, that we can all use.

    Incur an expense great enough for an opportunity to save enough on that expense, to incur even greater expense. The greater the expense, the greater the opportunity. Inflation then, becomes our ally.

    I think it will catch on, and the beauty of it, is that it doesn't have to make any logical sense.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  9. #9
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Well you ought to...if you dont fill out a form, it cant be a gun


    Does having children count?

    Good call! But the new lower needs an FFL, to I imagine there will be papers on that. Like I said though, that is just free to me, or a atta boy just for being so good!

    Dude kids are cool, but no they don't count! A gun for a kid does though!! They are gonna grow up fast ya know.

    The heaviest 6.8spc from DT is 115gr. FMJBT. It will be hard decision between the SPC and muzzleloader. Will have to check into the encore line.

  10. #10
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    We Gun Nuts are Sooooo Creative.

    Ahh, this is a great principal, that we can all use.

    Incur an expense great enough for an opportunity to save enough on that expense, to incur even greater expense. The greater the expense, the greater the opportunity. Inflation then, becomes our ally.

    I think it will catch on, and the beauty of it, is that it doesn't have to make any logical sense.

    Smitty of the North

    Cool somebody understands my way of thinking! But unless you ad a very nice scope, most bolt guns or lever guns will still be cheaper than bear rug! Plus last longer!

    I am not a gun nut, yet.. As I get older I already realize I should have kept some of the guns I sold off. So I kinda declare from here on out not to sell any guns. Kinda leaves a little bit of room just incase I make a purchase that really has no need in my safe, slim chance though.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Juneau,AK
    Posts
    152

    Default The american way!!

    So what you are talking about is the american way!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    We Gun Nuts are Sooooo Creative.

    Ahh, this is a great principal, that we can all use.

    Incur an expense great enough for an opportunity to save enough on that expense, to incur even greater expense. The greater the expense, the greater the opportunity. Inflation then, becomes our ally.

    I think it will catch on, and the beauty of it, is that it doesn't have to make any logical sense.

    Smitty of the North

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    Your first mistake is asking for advice from us. It's like asking the drunk guy at the end of the bar if you should have another beer!

    Since you are early in your gun collectorship, my only advice is to be a buy and hold guy. All too often many of us have regretted letting go of some distant acquisition, lamenting into the future that we really wished that we had not sold that....

    Whatever you do, it's all good....

    Doc

  13. #13
    Member bigswede358's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Maries, Idaho
    Posts
    518

    Default I like your logic

    At some point you are going to NEED a 358 Norma Mag. Your 375 ruger might get tired one day or want a break. It could be your 2011 bear
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

  14. #14
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Good advice and info guys

    I ordered the Henry Varmit Express .17HMR today at Gun Runners. Should be here late this coming week or maybe early the following week. Picked up 150rnd of the Hornady V-max and 50 of the CCI 20gr FMJ. Seen some CCI TNT I might pick up. Just to see what the gun likes. Those actions are so smooth!

    I am have thought about trying to shoot 4 bears in this year, but that might get kinda expensive and not allow me shoot in 2011.

    So now I gotta research the Sightron scopes I keep reading about on here. Anyone know who might carry those in AK?

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I am have thought about trying to shoot 4 bears in this year, but that might get kinda expensive and not allow me shoot in 2011.

    Like the guy who decided to stop eating altogether, so he could have 4 more beers a week.
    It's a matter of priorities, I reckon.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  16. #16
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Akrstabout

    I would like to here how well you like the Henry - I had one in 22lr but the drop on their stocks was way too much for me to like - never did figure why they were so radical? The actions are like warm butter though!
    I bought a 17 HMR win 9417 and it is really a nice gun, unfortunatly they closed their doors a couple months later and its value went crazy so it now sits in my safe.... I hope Marlin starts to crank them out someday?
    As for a muzzleloader I thought I would toss in some inputs. I have an Encore and really like it. Its a few years old and I also bought a 300WM barrel for it - it is amazingly pleasant to shoot and very accurate. One downer is when I added a trigger shoe to make it easier to cock under a scope is slowed the hammer fall enough that it will not reliably fire the rifle primers. The 209 shotgun primers for 50 cal work just fine though. I had a trigger job done and it is a real fun gun to hunt with... 100 gn pyrodex / 300 gn TC spire point and its a tack driver. Shot a doe this past Friday - 75 yards, neck shot - 6 degree's out!
    Buy the new model with the prebent hammer for rifle ammo!

  17. #17
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    I don't own any but know a few guys in the lower 48 that do. Ever thought about a TC Encore and then just buy new barrels. Everyone I've ever talked to loves them and buying a new barrel is less than 1/2 the price of a new gun and the caliber selection is very vast. Just about everything I have killed has only taken one shot. Just a Thought

  18. #18
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I would like to here how well you like the Henry - I had one in 22lr but the drop on their stocks was way too much for me to like - never did figure why they were so radical? The actions are like warm butter though!
    I bought a 17 HMR win 9417 and it is really a nice gun, unfortunatly they closed their doors a couple months later and its value went crazy so it now sits in my safe.... I hope Marlin starts to crank them out someday?
    As for a muzzleloader I thought I would toss in some inputs. I have an Encore and really like it. Its a few years old and I also bought a 300WM barrel for it - it is amazingly pleasant to shoot and very accurate. One downer is when I added a trigger shoe to make it easier to cock under a scope is slowed the hammer fall enough that it will not reliably fire the rifle primers. The 209 shotgun primers for 50 cal work just fine though. I had a trigger job done and it is a real fun gun to hunt with... 100 gn pyrodex / 300 gn TC spire point and its a tack driver. Shot a doe this past Friday - 75 yards, neck shot - 6 degree's out!
    Buy the new model with the prebent hammer for rifle ammo!
    I couldn't fine the Henry Varmit Express in person to check for fit. One place had the .17hmr golden boy, which has the octagon barrel and regular stock, to heavy and didn't care for the stock either. The varmit express though has a high cheeck comb, looks a bit different on a lever gun, but is supposed to be a good fit with a scope.

    I picked up an encore the other day while out, shopping for the next bear's gun already! Maybe with a higher comb it will be a better fit, but it didn't feel comfortable that day. Will check them out when fully healed from jaw surgery.

    Congrats on the doe! Good info on the encore too!

  19. #19
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I don't own any but know a few guys in the lower 48 that do. Ever thought about a TC Encore and then just buy new barrels. Everyone I've ever talked to loves them and buying a new barrel is less than 1/2 the price of a new gun and the caliber selection is very vast. Just about everything I have killed has only taken one shot. Just a Thought

    Yeah most of my kills have been one shot. Used to bolt actions though now. But the TC line is definately on the list. Mostly as a muzzleloader but a barrel in a small caliber would be cool too down the road.

    I also need a new bow. So might count that as this years two bears! Looking pretty expensive so far for the Mathews Z7, but what a shooter. That thing is more than any rifle I have ever bought and then goodies still need purchased. Will be counting on my glock 20 this year with Double Tap 10mm to put down the bears. Can't wait! Will start collecting bait maybe late February.

  20. #20
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Ak

    I did not care for the looks or feel of the Encore when I first held one in a store also - however it has grown a lot on me!
    The ergonomic design must have a lot to do with reducing the felt recoil I guess, I have 3 - 300 WM , the Encore, Browning ABolt, and Win 70 - the Encore for whatever reason seems to generate less recoil...
    On my first post I said hammer would not reliably detonate rifle primers after adding a trigger shoe - not sure where my mind was but it should have said Hammer Extension - good grief!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •