Thread: 7' Salmon rods for new Line counter reels

Default 7' Salmon rods for new Line counter reels

Well, Not that I am thinking about silvers out of Seward too much... but Santa got me 3 new Daiwa Saltist 30 line counters and I am wanting to get some new rods for them.
    I have and like Wright & McGills for my main butt rods and really like them for that but are too heavy for salmon. I may go with lighter actions though. I also have many 7' ugly sticks for my current salmon rigs and have worked good for salmon, plus have caught many chickens with them up to about 30lbs, but are just a bit light.

So the question is, I am looking for a 7' 1 piece med/light - med action rod that will work well for salmon, maybe a chicken or slightly larger, rock fish / lings. And hopefully less than $150.

What do you like?

And Happy New Years to all on the forum...
    Tony

Go longer on the salmon sticks.

If you already like W&M, they a have great series of salmon rods that would work well for trolling... all the way to a 10.5 footer. Great side-rigger rod to widen your trolling spread for a more thorough sweep.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I would be hard pressed to not get some Ugly Stik down rigger rods. They are outstanding for trolling!

Default I got mine

From Har-Lee Rods
    http://stores.channeladvisor.com/harleerod/Rods/

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

I have a short video of a 100+ halibut bending the 5' 6" rod almost double. They are really reasonable, great shipping to Alaska and they have eBay auctions, I think I got both mine for under 150 with shipping. Only thing is to make sure you rinse them as like most rods the eyes will corrode if not taken care of.

Default I'll take a look at them

Thanks for the recommendations. I have some time before we are able to fish but I do like the reels so far.
    Tony

I'd also recommend going longer on a trolling rod. Something in the 12-25 or 15-50 class in the 9' range. 7' is a bit short to troll a spread effectively, plus the longer rods load better and you land more fish.

Another vote for a longer rod. I've been using a pair or shimano scimitar 8 1/2' medium rods (can't beat em for $50) with charter special reels spooled with 30# braid. I've been suprised at the abuse those rods take, and will likely be using them occasionally gunning for lings, as the more I use lighter quality tackle, the more I enjoy it.

I really like my seeker blue lighting jigging rods, and would think the same rods in the slightly lighter/longer configuration would make an outstanding salmon/rockfish rod, though they are likely a couple bucks outside what you've budgeted.