Thread: thin skinned animal fleshing

Default thin skinned animal fleshing

I have skinned and fleshed many a bear and moose hide but seem to have trouble when it comes to these thin skinned critters like Pine Marten, Fox, etc.
    any suggestion's or tried and true method's?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i used to work the hare and martin over the edge of a board or somthing,, never really was any flesh to pull just break the fibers of the hide and scrape the membranes off with it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I clean skin everything so when done they go right on the stretcher. Those who do flesh on the thin skinned critters like fox use a one handed fleshing tool they are not sharp and help, very similar to what Vince does. you can buy them at most supply places I have even seen them at Sportmans Warehouse in the trappping section
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

maybe I'm being too picky, always seem's to be a thin layer of flesh in places, guess I better just skin closer and call it good.

I use the back of my small skinning knife, no chance of the blade cutting, and the thin skinned critters are easy to scrape clean that way.

just be careful not to over scrape or the hairs will be coming out the back of the hide when tanned
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Default fleshing

I use a small bone to do my fleshing on small animals i does not seem to tear the hide as much.

akman02

on my fox, lnyx, martin I use a spoon, I think it works good. Just make sure to use it and put it back when before the wife sees you using "Her" spoon on critters. I'm now the proud owner of my very own skinning spoon.

Default fleshing

I put the question to one of my taxidermy friends and he mentioned using a pipe, like copper or something, after being cut with pipe cutter it put's a sharp edge on the inside.
    I do remeber a friend of mine in high school using the spoon technique on beavers.
    Thanx for the info! I'm off to do some fleshing!