Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie getting started....

Default Newbie getting started....

Hi guys.
    I really want to bear bait this year and have never done it. So I'm in the newbie learning mode. It's one of those things I've talked about for years but have never done. I've never shot a black bear but shot a little griz last fall and I think that's got me all worked up and excited I've got a 454 levergun and/or a new 45 Colt SBH that I'd sure like to shoot something with! I've been reading like crazy here and have been at ADF&G reading up to get my BearBait Cert. or whatever it is they call it. It seems like now is the time to start gathering up donuts, a barrel, etc. to be ready for spring. Looking for any and all tips, do's and don'ts and advice you can give me and other newbies reading this. Thanks.

Default Don't cheap out on a tree stand

So many people hurt themselves using dumb cheap stands. And always use a safety harness that won't break your back if you do indeed need it.

I'm scared of heights, so when it came time to buy a tree stand I bought the best. Never a scary moment, and you can even safely change clothes or take a nap in it. I recommend the bow-hunting addition (to stand up) even if you're not bow hunting, a gun and/or bow rack (you don't want to hold it, always), and also the optional wheels that turn it into a game cart. Use the wheels to haul all your crap back there, stash the wheels and axle a ways away, then climb, pulling all your stuff up afterward using two different parachute cords (so you have more stuff) up there with you. And don't forget the pee can.

http://www.treelounge.com/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Keep an eye out at Sportsman here in a couple of months. I'm sure we will be doing a couple of free seminars again, which are great for newbies. We will be incorporating some new footage as well from Lee and Tiffany's hunt last year. It should be pretty good. Lots of good information.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    Keep an eye out at Sportsman here in a couple of months. I'm sure we will be doing a couple of free seminars again, which are great for newbies. We will be incorporating some new footage as well from Lee and Tiffany's hunt last year. It should be pretty good. Lots of good information.

good news !!! we had a good time last year great class!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Ok, great. Thanks guys.

What do you guys stuff your barrels with?

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Ok, great. Thanks guys.

What do you guys stuff your barrels with?
    bear bait.... perry...

thats why it's called ....

B E A R B A I T I N G.......................

meet on face book here

Breads, pastries, cheap dog food, pop corn, COB w/ molasses, just try to stay away from the meats/fish baits as this tends to bring in grizzlies more than the blacks. Over the top of your bait then put fryer grease as the bears will track this from the site. You can also use other things like molasses, honey, maple syrup and such but this is expensive. Hope this helps it's been working for me for a lot of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    bear bait.... perry...

Alright.... that's gonna cost ya one, maybe 2 rep points.

Default The Bait Station

I realize a bunch of folks use fryer grease. Not me, too much mess, and you have to remove contaminated soil at the end of season. That being said, I use one or two 55 gal polydrums that I have camopainted. Cheapest dog food available and about 5 bottles of imitation maple syrup per barrel. Sometimes I mix in miniature marshmellows, keeps the red squirrels happy and something to watch while awaiting the beast.

I have used the scent balls and find that they do work quite well, but if you are on a budget you may want to skip these. For scent I will take a metal #10 can and put in a can of butter flavored crisco and a half a bag of powdered sugar, mix well and pack into #10 can. Push a few dried twigs into the mixture and light them, they will act like wicks and the "burn can" will go six to eight hours putting out the smell of a dougnut factory that they bears find impossible to resist!

I prefer to be a minimum of 12 feet above ground level. I like to be near a stream or river which is a natural travel corridor. The sound of moving water helps hide any sounds you make in your stand, but you cannot hear the bears coming either. It a "gentle babbling brook" puts you to sleep you are in trouble.

And whatever you do there are two things that you must never, ever, I mean never ever forget. Your weapon and your Thermacell.

Watch the bear closely for a half hour or more before you decide to shoot. Be patient. Wait for the perfect shot. When the front leg goes forward aim just behind the crease and one third of the way up the body. You will hit the heart, the lungs, or the heart and lungs. Either way, dead bear. One shot, one kill.

Got bears coming to your stand, but not while you are there? Take a buddy along and sit with you for forty five minutes and then ask him to leave and make lots of noise going out to the trailhead. Darndest thing is that bears cannot count. Your buddy may be gone minutes and the bear or bears will appear.

Good luck, take and post pictures. Write us up a good story to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    bear bait.... perry...

Beat me to it! Us smart ****es think the same!

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    Beat me to it! Us smart ****es think the same!
    There's always one in every bunch... or in this case two... at least....

Hmm, I think you guys are baiting the Moderator and just looking for infractions

There's always one in every bunch... or in this case two... at least....

Hmm, I think you guys are baiting the Moderator and just looking for infractions
    well perry... your just lucky to have so many master[s] baiter's at your disposal to set you on the right path....

meet on face book here

barrels why pack barrels in and out, build a cubby out of a few sticks and logs, can double for a cubby for lynx during trapping season
    Last edited by ironartist; 01-21-2010 at 12:04.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by AKbarehunter View Post
    Got bears coming to your stand, but not while you are there? Take a buddy along and sit with you for forty five minutes and then ask him to leave and make lots of noise going out to the trailhead. Darndest thing is that bears cannot count. Your buddy may be gone minutes and the bear or bears will appear.

Good luck, take and post pictures. Write us up a good story to read.
    I had the same problem then one day I decided to get down and take a look around my stand. I walked a few meters behind my stand and turned around to head back to my stand. I was only gone a couple minutes and when I got back to my stand a bear was at the bait. They are some smart animals.

Anyone use beaver carcasses or castor? They love it.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Talking oops

I think you guys are baiting the Moderator...
    Ask and ye shall receive...

Default Hints??

Snyd,

One problem I see with newbies is their barrel placement. People tend to place their barrel where they can see the hole from their treestand. You want the hole to be where the bear will be broadside and vitals exposed.

Barrel holes ~ I know I am going to catch flack for this~ I think the smaller the hole the better. If the hole is too big the browns hang around a lot longer. Browns don't really care for the challenge of the small hole and move on quicker. People put their holes on the side, top or bottom. I prefer mine on the side. That way when it rains you don't end up with soggy mush as if the hole was placed on top. I have personally never place a barrel hole on the bottom, but have heard it is quite effective.

Using grease is a big pain in the rear. The clean up is a mess and takes a lot of time to remove all the contaminated soil. (just my opinion)

Beaver castor is a great attractant and bears love it! Some of our clients like to use moose hides rubbed down with Anise and castor.

Get your scent in the air by hanging old t-shirts around your station. I have found they don't "scratch and sniff" as much when you are in your treestand if you do this.

Chain or cable your barrel to the tree. Ratchet straps can be clipped with one swipe of a claw. Yup, 50 yards away there lay my barrel. LUG LUG

I would recommend your treestand being at least 12 ft off the ground. I heard some pretty hairy stories this past season... I will be purchasing some bear spray this season!

Never forget your ThermaCELL!! They are a huge help with keeping your blood flowing in your body and not being sucked out Yeah you know what I am talking about~fellow bear baiters

I am a firm believer in popcorn for bait. The browns don't hang around long. Dog food keeps browns on your bait longer and its much more expensive to feed. Yeah, popcorn is a bulky item to take to your station but its much lighter to carry. You'll find that they don't EMPTY the barrel!

Good Luck SNYD with your upcoming season
    Vince, I prefer to be called the Bait Master not the other...
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Default ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    I prefer to be called the Bait Master
    Now that's funny. The rest of the post was really informative and great info too, not to disregard that. Dumb computer won't work when I click on the scales.

Default 2nd Popcorn

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    Snyd,
    I am a firm believer in popcorn for bait. The browns don't hang around long. Dog food keeps browns on your bait longer and its much more expensive to feed. Yeah, popcorn is a bulky item to take to your station but its much lighter to carry. You'll find that they don't EMPTY the barrel!
    Pop the corn at the site.

Puts scent in the air, takes very little time - makes a ruckus, then you 'leave'. Very easy to transport this way.

A whole bag of cheap popcorn fits nicely into your day pack.
    Fill an old water bottle with some veg. oil.
    You paid good money for that backpack stove.
    Chain a pot to a tree and the worse thing that will happen is a few tooth marks in your prized Les Cruset pot (ya, no, don't bring that one). Leave the pot there the whole season.

Just curious, have you tried the one man leave while one man stay trick? I understand that they can't count and only know when someone comes and goes. I'm sure after 5 seasons you've tried it all, I'm just trying to absorb as much info before 4/15.
    What about making your scent previlant all around the bait station so they become accustom to it?

MMJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast