Thread: Ground cloths

Question Ground cloths

I am looking for a really packable ground cloth/tarp that can be rigged in many way to make leantos or other various uses. It must be waterproof (shed rain) and stand up to Alaska. Thanks!

Helpful idea of the day: Get the padded plastic UPS envelopes for sitting on cold ground, they pack way flat and keep the buns toastie!

Just one more thing Brown can do for you.

One option is the Pacific Outdoor G-Tarp. They offer 3 sizes. The largest, an 8.5' x 10.5' packs down to 7" x 7" x 2" and weighs 32 oz.

You can view here (scroll to page 2)
    http://www.pacoutdoor.com/splash_pdfs/POE_5.pdf

I also saw some ultralight ground cloths at REI when I was in there two days ago but didn't look at the sizes. They packed very small and light though.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default here's a thought

The shrink wrap material used for covering boats is ideal. it does not tear,and is the most versitle material I know even in the worst freezing weather. it'l last longer than your best tent. I use a piece of it covering the front of the truck while it is snowing , using the door jambs to lock it on.
    It is so nice to walk up to my truck and slide off the accumulation, fold up the tarp and drive away. I would set them up for friends using used wrap from the previous seasons coverings. find a boat shop that does shrink wraping, they might even give you a piece.

Kelty's Noah's Tarps are tough, lightweight, and pack small. They are also about the least expensive of the "river wing" style tarps with a wind shedding cantenary cut to them.

i use tyvek for ground cloths for tents and sitting on. you could use it for a shelter as well. throw a grommet in each corner and you'd be good to go. i buy smaller pieces on ebay, as you can only get a larger role at HD or Lowes. works great and lasts a long time.

other than that, a simple sil-nylon sheet/tarp would work. you should be able to find one in town at sportsmans or rei i would imagine. if not google for sil-nylon tarp.

Default tyvek

Another vote for tyvek. Also the lightest rain shelter (not tough) is a 8 X 10 painters dropcloth. Its very light visqueen, so again, not tough but crazy light.

I heard if you wash Tyvek it won't be as noisy and softer. Will it still be waterproof though???

yes it will be waterproof. you NEED to wash it, or else it is just really obnoxiously loud and stiff white paper. i suggest washing them in an industrial washer without the central agitator as the tyvek can mess those up. i took mine to a laundromat. wash it as least twice if not three times.