Thread: ACB's in rough seas

Default ACB's in rough seas

Does anyone have any experience in the ACB boats? I see they have somewhat of a V. How do they ride in rougher seas/chop? Like an aluminum Zodiac, C-Cory, or a little better? Are they stable? How much cabin space do they have compared to a comparable length boat? And how do they compare to the Stabicraft boats? Thanks.

IŽve been in a 26Žand it rode great. I was very surprised how well it did in the chop out of seward

We have a 29' ACB for work, and I have been very impressed with the ride qualities of the boat. It is a very stable hull, and while ride comfort can be pretty subjective, I can definitely say that the ACB will remain "comfortable" at higher speeds than many of our other boats in comparable seas. It's a very well-built boat, and is the boat I want to be in when the seas kick up. I will say that, with the narrow beam combined with the aluminum chambers, the cabin is fairly skinny and gets a bit tight with more than 3 or 4 guys.

I have no experience with Stabi-craft, so can't help with a comparison there.

Chris

I've also been in a 26' ACB in some rougher water, and I was very impressed with the ride. We were running faster than I expected through the chop with a single Yamaha 250 and the ride was quite smooth. The safety factor was very reassuring.

I have watched all the vids on their web site a hundred times.A 30'x10' with a big Cat diesel would be the ticket.

Default Curious.

I am curious about these ACBs. The ones I have seen have, from the outside, just a normal hull, and I don't see how they offer any more stability than any other boat (comparably designed). In other words, the aluminum chambers are on the inside, completely. Do the ones you are talking about here have alum tubes partially OUTSIDE of the normal hull, like an RHIB (rigid hull inflatable boat)? If so, I understand that they are very stable, but the ride is a bit rough because the alum tubes do not flex when they crash into waves. I have a RHIB, and the question of stability is not a question; they just are, and if these have tubes partly outside the "normal" hull, I am sure they are very stable, too. Thanks. j

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

I have a 2004 29' ACB with twin 225 Yamaha's, I don't have much rough water experience in other boats but I do have lots in my boat. In November I was coming back into Whittier head on into the wind, 6' plus waves about 10' apart,with so much water in the air that several times for over a minute the only thing I could see out the windshield was my wiper blade. We were going 10 knots, the ride was great, seeing wasn't, for me with the way the seas can change the air chambers are what I payed for.

Default Where

in South Central can I get a look at these boats. I have a 22' Searunner w/hard top now but Momma says I can upgrade. It would be nice to get a closer look at the ACB's.

Momma said you could up grade?Hell yes, good job man!!!!!

Charterboat Operator

ther is one for sale at Anchorage Yamaha.
    think it was there demo boat while they were a dealer.
    was sitting out front of there shop last week, pretty sure it is still there!

I have lots of time at the helm of a 30x10 ACB. The ride is definitely smoother in the ACB than a comparable sized mono-hull boat. That being said, an ACB will cost almost twice as much as the mono-hull boat. If I had to buy my own, I don't know that I could justify (or swing) the $300K price tag - as much as I might want one.

Dan are you running J&J Smarts boat?If so what are you getting for mpg and gph?What does she cruise at?

That is one thing about the ACB's, they are REAL proud of them.I have an old brochure around here some where before they scored all of those military contracts.And would n't you know they used to be about the same price and most other well built boat.

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    If so what are you getting for mpg and gph?What does she cruise at?
    On calm seas, the Hers Too will cruise at 30MPH and burn about 20-22GPH, with the twin Suzuki 300's. The fuel burn numbers came off the Suzuki-branded Lowrance programable gauges. When the chop picks up she'll still cruise comfortably at 30MPG, but burns a little more fuel. I don't remember the cruising RPM's off the top of my head, but I want to say 4200-4400 sounds about right.

The big boat go over 50MPH at wide open on calm seas. At that speed, though, the big engines burn over 50GPH, if I remember correctly. It's not a regular (or common) thing to run that fast, but a guy just has to find out what she'll do.

The ride on the ACB is a completely different feeling in sloppy seas. Instead of an up-down pounding of the bow, like a mono hull, you get the sensation like you're plowing through the water in an ACB. The boat will slow down when you hit a big wave, but there's not nearly as much bow rise or pounding.