Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exploding Targets

Default Exploding Targets

A freind gave me a 1 LB can of black powder, I don't have a black powder firearm, or know much about black powder. New years is comming up, so I was thinking of making some exploding targets. Would this be a really stupid thing to do? The powder is made by Goex inc. and says FFg superfine black rifle powder. Would need to know, how large of a charge, what to contain it in, weather I would need an ignition source and what type, or would impact set it off. Oh ya, and how far to stand back.

As Black powder is pretty hard to get in Alaska, I would pass that on to someone who could shoot it. I'm sure there is a member nearby that would be happy to have it.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Default Goex

You have been generous with your advice and time anytime I have asked a gun tech question, and I appreciate that. Would be happy to give it to you...to give you an idea of its age it has a price of $8.99....Still would like to make some exploding targets though, can it be done safely with standard powders? Live North of Fairbanks....Call 458-0634 and its yours.....

Don't use enough of it to need it, but thanks for the offer. Probably 10 or 15 years old, but I'm sure it's fine. One of the local forum members could use it I would guess.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I read your thread title and immediately thought you'd found a colony of prairie dogs in Alaska. Imagine my excitement as I really, really enjoy a day shooting pop-up, biodegradable targets, some of which explode . Sadly...I realize now that was not the case, and I must once again deal with the (mild) depression resulting from not having regular trips to the cow pastures.

Might finally be time to take up skeet shooting again...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

colman propane cans work as good subsitutes...

but for eco nomical/friendly couple coffee cans with 2-4 inches of water in them.. freeze tip out block and start over.. paint the ice blocks orange on one side and set out on frozen lake at what ever range ... they burst when shot and clean up all at once in the sping..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Just google exploding targets and you should find directions. About a year back someone on here was doing them and posted about it. There is even some clubs that do exploding target shoots in a couple states.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default special prep for propane can target

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    colman propane cans work as good subsitutes...
    Actually they don't. The only way to cause any reaction from putting a bullet through a propane tank is to first light a flare and tape it to the side of the tank.

Don't ask.... I just know.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Actually they don't. The only way to cause any reaction from putting a bullet through a propane tank is to first light a flare and tape it to the side of the tank.

Don't ask.... I just know.
    I know too . . . and there is nothing like the whistle of a 5 gallon LP tank 100' in the air over your head when the fire goes out leavening you blind as a bat trying to run away . . . holey flash blind batman!

If you use 1 pound camp tanks at 50 yards or more and just stick the flare next to it you will have fun and you get more than one tank per flare. The full 5 gallon tank was exciting enough for me (and everyone else that was running blindly through the Arizona cactus that night) to call it a once in a lifetime event.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I know too . . . and there is nothing like the whistle of a 5 gallon LP tank 100' in the air over your head when the fire goes out leavening you blind as a bat trying to run away . . . holey flash blind batman!

If you use 1 pound camp tanks at 50 yards or more and just stick the flare next to it you will have fun and you get more than one tank per flare. The full 5 gallon tank was exciting enough for me (and everyone else that was running blindly through the Arizona cactus that night) to call it a once in a lifetime event.
    223 FMJ with orange tracer tips work too.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default yes and no

I agree with all you say, except the once in a lifetime part. The only limitation is finding other people to keep coming up with a propane tank! It never gets old.

Not to get all serious-like, but please do haul the bullet riddled tank out afterward; I do.

I agree with all you say, except the once in a lifetime part. The only limitation is finding other people to keep coming up with a propane tank! It never gets old.

Not to get all serious-like, but please do haul the bullet riddled tank out afterward; I do.
    Where I come from we call that disposing of the evidence

Default Tannerite

Fun comes in small packages.

https://www.tannerite.com/

It's all kinds of fun till someone gets the idea to plug it as low on the base as he can with a 30-06 and it makes it the 100 yards to be over your head faster than a sidewinder missile without any of the usual spinning about like an unbalanced top. We (my club, Arizona Gun Guys) did it at least 200 times before that one took all the fun right the heck out of it. We even did a ten or so 40 gallon and one of those 100 gallon ones that look like a big ball. Great fun! Never again with more than the one pounders for me . . . I still have scars on my legs and arms from the stickers!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Sell it

Quote Originally Posted by 4951tomm View Post
    A friend gave me a 1 LB can of black powder, I don't have a black powder firearm, or know much about black powder...
    Sell the powder (you can easily get $20-30 for it) and go down to the gun shop and buy a package of purpose-built exploding targets. What you're suggesting won't work (bullet impacts won't ignite BP). The exploding targets you can buy off the shelf use flash powder, which is a completely different beast and will detonate with a bullet impact.

Real BP is a very rare and highly sought after item. Do a guy a favor and put it up for sale if you don't want it. There are a lot of folks out here who would really like to get ahold of some real BP.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Goex

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Sell the powder (you can easily get $20-30 for it) and go down to the gun shop and buy a package of purpose-built exploding targets. What you're suggesting won't work (bullet impacts won't ignite BP). The exploding targets you can buy off the shelf use flash powder, which is a completely different beast and will detonate with a bullet impact.

Real BP is a very rare and highly sought after item. Do a guy a favor and put it up for sale if you don't want it. There are a lot of folks out here who would really like to get ahold of some real BP.
    Will do just that, I have some other firearm related stuff I will list after the first. I do have a few 1lb bottles of LP and 30/06 tracers that may satisfy my needs. And then try the tannerite if its available in Fairbanks.
    I worked on a blasting crew in the 80s and early 90s up in Prudhoe bay, tens of thousands of lbs in a single blast, sometimes we would rattle windows 5-10 miles away.....Strange thing was, it depended on witch way the wind was blowing. Was really amazing how a 40-80 MPH wind would alter the report/sound. THanx for your time

It's all kinds of fun till someone gets the idea to plug it as low on the base as he can with a 30-06 and it makes it the 100 yards to be over your head faster than a sidewinder missile without any of the usual spinning about like an unbalanced top. We (my club, Arizona Gun Guys) did it at least 200 times before that one took all the fun right the heck out of it. We even did a ten or so 40 gallon and one of those 100 gallon ones that look like a big ball. Great fun! Never again with more than the one pounders for me . . . I still have scars on my legs and arms from the stickers!

sorry Andy,,, i can't help but laugh, not at you but at the moment of been there done that. you know spray foam cans make a huge sticky mess also. espessally the bulk packs nothing like a wizzing torpedo with hot flaming grey matter spewing all over

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    sorry Andy,,, i can't help but laugh, not at you but at the moment of been there done that. you know spray foam cans make a huge sticky mess also. espessally the bulk packs nothing like a wizzing torpedo with hot flaming grey matter spewing all over
    Well it is funny . . . now. At the time and in the moment it was it was anything but finny. It was the fastest I have ever changed gears from “look at the pretty flames” to “I'm gonna be killed.”

What’s the max flight range on the flaming spray foam can? I may try that one from long range.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy,
    that is some of the funniest stuff I've read for a good long time. "holy flash blind batman!"......too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Andy,
    that is some of the funniest stuff I've read for a good long time. "holy flash blind batman!"......too funny.
    Glad you enjoyed it . . . I've been lucky enough to live through many "hay watch this" moments. They are almost always funny later . . . sometimes much later.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast