Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite Ling Cod rig?

Default Whats your favorite Ling Cod rig?

Well it looks like we will be heading out fishing Lings this summer. What is your favorite rig for lings? Pics would be great if you have any. Thanks again for all your help!

Default Go to Lure

All depends on depth, size and type of rod you will be using.
    I use the lightest possible gear. A heavy action salmon rod with 20-30 lb line and a nice long leader or 50-70lb mono.

Fisihing 100-150' I like to stick with 4-8oz lure,
    150-200 8-12 ounce lure.

Any heavier and I move to a nice jiggin rod meant to handle a bit larger lure. Very very ralely will I go above a 16oz lure,

I like to use a chucnk of salmon belly or herring.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Lead head jigs and grubs are the standards we use. The current can be pretty tough where we fish, so 16 oz and 24 oz lead heads are the norm. We like to slather 'em with glow-in-the-dark paint. Using boneyard 11" grubs or kalin 10" grubs. I like green the best, but my buddy did awesome last year fishing the black grub on the right in the picture below. When we can get away with it (shallower water, low current), we fool around with other smaller jigs, but usually it's the big jigs.

If you feel like soaking bait, try a greenling or sculpin on a big halibut rig.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I like everything everyone has mentioned. Truth be told, I have never found them to be particularly picky and they seem to latch onto just about anything in their ambushes.

Most of mine come by the way of rockfish. Never fails...get on a good rockfish spot and they grab one.

When targeting Lings I use large gear as they aren`t afraid of hitting something 18". Go-to`s are the 10" 16oz. grubs and big butterfly jigs.

I put a rubber chicken on a 16oz lead head and caught a 60 pounder last summer.

hap

Really large flies are my preference for them...

Smile picture please

I want to see a picture of that chicken

( Did you see the size of that chicken )

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Well it looks like we will be heading out fishing Lings this summer. What is your favorite rig for lings? Pics would be great if you have any. Thanks again for all your help!
    Rockfish & small salmon - reel them up real slow & hope that you don't get caught!

While I don't have a picture, I once made some jigs from some plastic action dolls that I bought as a joke for some relative coming up from the lower 48 and to my surprise even they worked pretty well. Seriously...... As I said, they are not picky fish.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

6" -8" rappela.. plug,, with a flasher ling can be spotted on the sonar if you can read it along with various bass... dropping the plug into the mix is a sure cure for tasty cod fish dinners.. but then so is any bait ...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Perhaps the better question is what doesn't work for ling cod......I have caught them on bare unbaited hooks after the little rockfish stole my chunk of herring. The biggest one I ever caught in my whole life was when trolling for salmon with one of those green teaspoons over by Three Hole Bay. It was fun catching it with light salmon gear....They are voracious feeders and fun to catch.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default pcod relocation project

[QUOTE.They are voracious feeders and fun to catch.[/QUOTE]

I like targeting bait with clients (schools of little grey cod) and then relocating them to a rock pile.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Small rock fish tied to the line no hook dropper weigth with light line in case it gets hung up. Drop into a rock pile reel up a couple cranks don't jig it just raise and lower slowly to keep it from getting hung up watch the FF and stay on or very near the bottom bouncing off the bottom.

When you feel the pole getting pulled down let them have the bait wait until it is really bending then slowly bring it up they very rarely let go. They might make several runs back to the bottom, when you get them to the boat don't pull their head out of the water leave them 6" under the water and net them with a big salmon net.

The reason I don't use hooks is they very rarely get hooked at least for me using rock fish but the hooks get caught on the bottom so I finally just deleted the hooks. Now I very rarely loose my bait and I catch just as many if not more fish because I spend more time fishing and lees time re-rigging.

Careful guys, no use of sport-caught fish as bait, at least in this context. I understand it happens by accident, but intentionally using a sport-caught rockfish as ling bait, even just by reeling it up and dropping it back down in hopes of finding a ling, is against the regs.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    Careful guys, no use of sport-caught fish as bait, at least in this context. I understand it happens by accident, but intentionally using a sport-caught rockfish as ling bait, even just by reeling it up and dropping it back down in hopes of finding a ling, is against the regs.

what about greenlings and pcod as live bait?
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Can you use Pollock for bait that is cought?

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    It has been about 9 years since I targeted Ling Cod in Oregon if my method is not legal in AK I apologize. I think it is still legal in OR but you have to count the rock fish you use in your limit for rock fish.

Mike

You can use fish that are not designated a sport fish for bait. Check out this link for the specifics: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...tewideregs.cfm

True, if there is no limit, you are good to go. Just wanted to urge caution to those who might get the wrong idea about using regular rockfish or salmon as ling bait in AK. Read the regs to see the exceptions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast