Thread: Does anybody have experience with Taylor Decoys?

Default Does anybody have experience with Taylor Decoys?

Has anybody bought any of these? I was looking at the wooden surf scoter decoys and was wondering how many decoys you get for the price? At 225 dollars I was hoping you would get more than one.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

you get one hand carved wooden decoy for that price. that is a pretty standard price for a hand carved decoy from someone that is good at it.

He is reselling E.Allen molded decoys, but painted and they appear to be the cheapest decoys he sells.

If you are just wanting to have some good quality decoys and can paint something black with a few white and yellow spots I recommend going straight to Lock Stock and Barrel and talking to Lou Tisch. He is the owner and wholesaler of E.Allen bodies and heads. He also sells one of the best flat oil based paints around, but thanks to the terrorists he can't mail more than a thimble full up here.

The E.Allens come pre primed so you can use a variety of artist paints or even rust-o-leum to coat them.

If you want some high quality hand carved decoys I recommend a northern friend across the border in Whitehorse. Yukon Mike has been carving for a while now and produces a high quality birds when he is not teaching school. Check out his photo galleries.

The most expensive one I found was $150.00, but yes that is for ONE decoy.... pretty pricey!

Wow! One decoy for 225, that's crazy. His decoys are really good though, his cork decoys look great too. I might still get one for display during the off season. But that decoy will be in the water come duck season. Thanks for the help.

Default Working/decorative birds

I've been carving birds for 30+ yrs. I do both working and decorative birds. The decorative birds sell good for $150-500 depending on how fancy you get. In SD I used to sell widgeon, pintails, teal for $175 a dozen. I finally stopped selling gunning birds by the dozen when I found some of my birds Here and there with a few bird shot holes in them being sold as antiques in antique shops. (made me feel old) A friend out in Kotzebue still has a bunch of my wood divers. He says they float much better when the weather gets choppy.
    The quality of todays beautiful plastic birds makes carving gunnin birds strictly a work of love and pride, not of practicality. 4-8 dozen wood birds fills the duck boat fast.
    I still have a few burlap sacks of widgeon, bluebills, redheads I should get out of the barn and use one of these days.

My dad has a bunch of really old paper mache field mallards. I have been trying to con 1 of those decoys out of him. I have no idea what brand they are. They don't have any markings that I can find. They do have glass eyes, which I thought was pretty cool. I would love to have that set up while I hunt. There is something special to me about hunting over the old duck hunters equipment.

Default Odcca

My family is big into carving decoys. My dad gave me a signed Mark Costilow red head that won best of show for the Ohio Decoy show for Christmas. Awesome! I put some black cork buffies together when I was stationed in FL. Cork decoys are by far the best floaters on the market.
    Check out http://www.odcca.net/vintage__decoy__page.htm for old decoy questions. I'm surprised Alaska doesn't have anything like the Westlake deal. I still need to burn up some calls for the shows.

Default Older wood Decoys

I went up in the barn and looked through some boxes and burlap bags and found alot of my older wood decoys. I'm thinking about selling them since they don't get used and someone can get a kick outta them for mantle or to use. What is the best way to market them? Craiglist? What would I put them under? Sporting goods? Same with AK List would sporting goods be the best bet? I carved them and I'm only 50 so I don't want to put them in as antiques

Default LZ scoter decoys

Another vendor for sea duck decoys has arrived on the market: LZ decoys.

They are molded expanded foam I think. He does not list his surf scoters on his site yet since he has just now had them casted up and painted. You can see on the photo that he has both high and low wing styles.

You can buy the kit birds like the E Allens from Lock Stock and Barrel or buy painted for a little more than twice the money it appears.

His art studio is MRB, and sells his carved wooden decoys through there. Do not click on the link if high prices make your ticker stutter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default LZD

WOW! Those look awesome.