Thread: Why aren't true hydrofoils (not the anti-ventication plate add-ons) common on boats?

Default Why aren't true hydrofoils (not the anti-ventication plate add-ons) common on boats?

Read a magazine article recently (Popular Mechanics I think) and they were going on about the virtues of a hydrofoil boat: faster, 40-50% better fuel economy, smoother ride in chop and waves, etc. They made a really convincing case.

I'm talking about a true hydrofoil with a NACA-type airfoil shape that provides maximum lift vs drag - NOT those outboard anti-ventilation plate add-ons.

I'm thinking I'd like to have a partial hydrofoil under the new boat to at least lift me up out of the water a good bit and reduce my wetted area/drag.

Maybe mounted a few feet forward of the transom on a swing arm with a shear pin holding down a pivot that'll allow the foil to swing rearward and out of the water if I hit something.

I did a little google research and there's nothing really out there for power boats, trim tabs will lift up the back end of a boat pretty well, but the lift/drag ratios stink. I did find a company that had some surplus extruded aluminum airfoils - but they were only about 4 inches wide.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Maast; 12-30-2009 at 11:21. Reason: Dang - can't edit titles for spelling.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Doel Fin is a true hydro foil. I have them on all my boats and have bought them for my buddies' boats.

But you want to make a regular boat a real full flying hydrofoil, and that would make all of popular mechanics claims true.

Sobie2

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    Read a magazine article recently (Popular Mechanics I think) and they were going on about the virtues of a hydrofoil boat: faster, 40-50% better fuel economy, smoother ride in chop and waves, etc. They made a really convincing case.

I'm talking about a true hydrofoil with a NACA-type airfoil shape that provides maximum lift vs drag - NOT those outboard anti-ventilation plate add-ons.

I'm thinking I'd like to have a partial hydrofoil under the new boat to at least lift me up out of the water a good bit and reduce my wetted area/drag.

Maybe mounted a few feet forward of the transom on a swing arm with a shear pin holding down a pivot that'll allow the foil to swing rearward and out of the water if I hit something.

I did a little google research and there's nothing really out there for power boats, trim tabs will lift up the back end of a boat pretty well, but the lift/drag ratios stink. I did find a company that had some surplus extruded aluminum airfoils - but they were only about 4 inches wide.

Thoughts?
    i had this discussion with a group of engineers a few years back... great thoughts and concepts.. one word...

DEBRIS!!!

at the speeds they run debris in our waters would eat them up. especially in waters off our coast with the ice flows and wild rivers dumping entire forest into the coast lines..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

A guy that I freedive with, has a hydrofoil assisted aluminum cat. I haven't been on the boat or seen it in person yet, but it has some type of foil between the sponsons that lifts the boat an additional 5-6 inches, while on plane, to reduce the wetted surface. It is supposed to make it quite a bit more fuel efficient and he claims it makes 50kts. That is quite a bit faster than I would expect a boat of that size to make with dual 225.

Stolkraft hull deisn gives lift similar to hyrdo foil very stable and fast
    many years ago rode from Manila to Corrigador in a true hydrofoil WOW what a ride, BUT the
    pretty "deck hand / tour guide" had very nasty scar across her face. The hydrofoil "wing " hit shark at high rate of speed, came off step rapidly and she was thrown foreward and injured.

wish some one was making aluminum Stolkraft design in US ( under 40 foot) they would make a great boat....if i could afford one??? Armstrong power cats would be good second choice, saw some of those in Sitka last summer. Can't afford those either.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

wish some one was making aluminum Stolkraft design in US ( under 40 foot) they would make a great boat....if i could afford one??? Armstrong power cats would be good second choice, saw some of those in Sitka last summer. Can't afford those either.[/QUOTE]

this is what our Armstrong 30'x11' looks like at 30 knots. not quite as much lift, but it does get out of the water.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've been on one of these and its derivatives many times back in Russia, I think they still have them.
    From what I could find it has a 2400 hp engine (jet?) and does 32 knots.
    All I remember as a kid is that it was way fast and very noisy.

My uncle used to have one of these (couldn't find a better pic). I remember him saying that debris in the water was always a problem, especially larger logs that would just shear the hydrofoil off.

And here's a larger version:

Default I've always wondered about...

...retractable hydrofoils for the floats on floatplanes...

"Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals."
    -John McCain