Thread: Fuel burn for twin F150's

Default Fuel burn for twin F150's

Hi, I'm looking for fuel burn numbers for anyone running twin Yamaha F150's. On the Yamaha site I saw a 26' boat paired with those motors using 6.2 gph @ 9.2 mph. Boat weighed in the neighborhood of 8300 lbs. Those numbers were taken at 2500 rpm.

Reason: my buddy has a roughly 10,000 boat and is thinking of ditching the single I/O diesel (old underpowered Cummins with bad SternPower drive) and putting twin outboards on a bracket. The fishing here (use of the boat) is primarily trolling at around 2500 rpms or 6-7 knots for hours on end. To fish affordably total fuel burn needs to stay under 7 gph at those speeds.

Thanks, Jim

While this may be an apples and oranges comparison I admit. But since we are talking about a similar sized boat, with the same hp motor, running at displacement speeds, it should be very similar even though the brands and boats are different. I also can't imagine that anyone would be running both of them going that slow. Check out this link for the CD 25 burn rate with a single honda 150. http://www.c-dory.com/boats/classic/cruiser-25/

Sounds like your high-speed trolling is a technique we don't use much up here in AK. You might get better feedback at the Hull Truth site. I run a 26' Hewes with twin 150s, but never spend any time maintaining those parameters. Good luck!

Jim,

Part of the problem is the boat may be a bit too small. With my 9.9hp kicker I can get 5kts at less than 1gph, but if you went with a small kicker like this the you may see a bit less speed since the hull is shorter, therefore there will be a lower displacement hull speed. If you push past the displacement speed, it will take a lot of power to make the boat go much faster.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Yeah, I understand the trolling thing is a little different here but this is how most of the guys spend most of the time looking for tunas, mahi's, ono's, & marlin. What I did was get on Yamaha's site and looked at different performance bulletins; I did find a few boats in the weight range we're talking about but utilizing the 225 & 250 motors, which may not be a bad thing cause it seemed that at roughly 9 mph (our typical trolling speed) these rigs averaged from 5.9 to 6.7 gph (total gph for the twin setup) which is acceptable. Kinda funny that I found some examples of twin F150's on much lighter boats burning the same or even higher gph.

Interesting comparison but thinking the lighter boats want to jump on step sooner/quicker and at lower speeds than the bigger, heavier boats.

Good thing about the locally made boats is the fact they are designed specifically for Hawaiian waters/conditions: typical trades blow 15-20 most of the year, so sustained high speed cruising is not a usual option and the boats are made to troll well and are also fairly heavy (handlaid fiberglass) for their size. My buddy's "daily" boat is 19' with a hardtop and weighs about 5,000 lbs w/twin T60's.

Forgot to mention the "project" boat is a 25' Radon. Thanks for the replies and broadening my understanding on the subject, Jim

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Jim,
    Most of the guys on the Oregon coast that fish tuna trolling at the speeds you describe only run one of the twins for trolling those speeds. To keep the hours close they alternate between motors.

Mike

Hmmmm, never really considered using just the single to troll with. After some thought and insight from others, thinking that the twin 150's are too small for the weight of boat, since the bigger motors use roughly the same fuel pushing a heavier boat and would'nt have to work so hard.
    Jim

I have good luck pushing my 8,500 boat 8 knots with a 50 hp kicker burning about 3-4 gph. You might consider doing that as a cheaper alternative.