Thread: Are the new Mini 14s better than the old ones?

Default Are the new Mini 14s better than the old ones?

Years ago I tried a couple of friends mini-14s and they were less than stellar with their accuracy. But they did seem to be fairly reliable compared to an AR platform.

So I was wondering how the newly made Mini-14s stack up... Is the twist rate now OK for heavy bullets and are their barrels any better quality?

I am about sick of ARs when it comes to something to launch a 5.56mm sized round.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

As I recall the blue ones did fine but the stainless guns fouled so fast you couldn't keep them shooting stright. I had a friend that owned a class111 mini built for South America and it ran great all the time.I would hope buy now they would have their stainless barrel problem fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Years ago I tried a couple of friends mini-14s and they were less than stellar with their accuracy. But they did seem to be fairly reliable compared to an AR platform.

So I was wondering how the newly made Mini-14s stack up... Is the twist rate now OK for heavy bullets and are their barrels any better quality?

I am about sick of ARs when it comes to something to launch a 5.56mm sized round.
    Great question...I'm interested in hearing the responses. I'm hoping the new ones are more accurate. I prefer the action over the AR's.

I've had a Mini-14 for ten years or so (and still have it). I first put a scope on it, but soon removed it because it seemed like a waste of a scope. I could shoot it just as accurately using the peep site...almost minute of big garbage can lid at 100 yards. I like the rifle. It's pretty much bomb-proof with an action that is field proven. It's nice having a rifle that I don't baby at all. After a day on my back snowmaching, it cleans-up well with an air compressor. I even shot a coyote last winter with it.

Doc

Default New ones are more accurate

I read a review stating that the new ones are more accurate. They're not going to shoot into a single hole. I'm trying to remember, but I think the author said he got 2 moa with black hills ammo...can't remember the bullet weight.
    My dad's old Mini from the early 80's was fun to shoot, but I think it would've been all over the target even if you put it on a lead sled.

v/r

salcha star road

A Mini-14 will always be a Mini-14. Durable, but accuracy is generally lacking. Several reasons for this, but lets just say that they are not an accurate platform. There are serious differences in engineering between a Mini and a full size M-14 that detract from accuracy in the Ruger product.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Fun to shoot but not made for accuracy. Very dependable however. Get an AR15 and have both

Oh I have ARs, two right now, and have owned about 5. Plus three decades of messing with various AR platforms for Uncle Sam and public safety.
    That's why I am sick of them...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have seen Mini-14's that Stan Jackson customized, have you guys? He's a well respected gunsmith in Anchorage who rebarrels them, trues the action and works the trigger. He's an honest guy, and they reportedly shoot MOA. I've just never been interested in investing much money in my Mini-14.

Doc

Default Well

Another forum memeber and I were having a talk and it came up in conversation how many folks were shooting 5.56 thru the 223 chambers... I was looking at pictures of a mini-14 in the classifieds and it clearly stamped on the rifle 223. No 5.56/223, so with that people shooting 5.56 stuff thru these mini-14 would that have something to do with bad accuarcy and everything else associated with the mini-14...
    Some info I pulled off the web

While the external case dimensions are very similar, the .223 Remington and 5.56x45mm differ in both maximum pressure and chamber shape. The maximum and mean pressures for some varieties of the 5.56 mm (different cartridge designations have different standards) exceed the SAAMI maximums for the .223 Remington, and the methods for measuring pressures differ between NATO and SAAMI.The 5.56 mm chamber specification has also changed over time since its adoption, as the current military loading (NATO SS-109 or US M855) uses longer, heavier bullets than the original loading did. This has resulted in a lengthening of the throat in the 5.56 mm chamber. Thus, while .223 Remington ammunition can be safely fired in a 5.56 mm chambered gun, firing 5.56 mm ammunition in a .223 Remington chamber may produce pressures in excess of even the 5.56 mm specifications due to the shorter throat

Good info 323.

I bought a Mini-14 in 1978 brand new on sale for $170 in a liquor store. I wasn't old enough so my brother did the paperwork. I gave it to my old man but have shot it extensively, even fired my first NM course with it. My son used it for awhile as a patrol rifle at the SO. It's back with me now, I did own another for a short time but don't remember a thing about its habits.

This Mini-14 is a 3 moa+ shooter at best. I've tuned, recrowned and tried many factory loads but worked up handloads do best. It has a definite preference for Ruger factory magazines, others that seem reliable at first soon pick up bad habits. It seems to be near 100% reliable if it has a magazine it likes and is clean, it doesn't like to be dirty.

I'm sure Mini-14s can be made to be 1" shooters but I suspect that like their parent M-14s and M-1s it's a temporary situation. Reliability is their best suit. As many flaws as the AR platform has it really can't be beat for an affordable, accurate, reliable go to, customizable semi-auto.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

I will stick with my mini till I can afford a ruger sr556 because the mini is SO dependable. I think the new ones are more accurate than the old but if it's still not good enough check carl out at asi http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.co...ccessories.php or an ol boy in oregon http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/ If you want a dialed in mini here's where I'd go
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ