Thread: Looking for a Dillon 550b Factory Instructional DVD

Default Looking for a Dillon 550b Factory Instructional DVD

Greetings all,
    Someone "borrowed" my 550b dvd, and now, its lost. Since I have large gaps in my reloading anymore, I always have to give myself a a refresher couse in how to my run own equipment
    Anyways, i would like to find someone that has the dvd they want to get rid of, or make a copy of it from theirs. Its not like I didnt own it already. I really dont want to spend upwards of 25 bucks on a new one with shipping. So, if anyone has one they dont want, or will either burn me a copy or let me borrow theirs so I can burn it, I would surely appreciate it. Im in the Fairbanks North Pole Area. Thanks for any help out there!
    Happy New Years, all.....

Give Bill at Pro-Tec on Van Horn Rd. a call. He's probably got what you're looking for.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

If I needed what you want I would just call Dillon and tell them what you need. I have always had them bend over backward to help me out and usually for next to nothing.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Medo View Post
    Greetings all,
    Someone "borrowed" my 550b dvd, and now, its lost. Since I have large gaps in my reloading anymore, I always have to give myself a a refresher couse in how to my run own equipment
    Anyways, i would like to find someone that has the dvd they want to get rid of, or make a copy of it from theirs. Its not like I didnt own it already. I really dont want to spend upwards of 25 bucks on a new one with shipping. So, if anyone has one they dont want, or will either burn me a copy or let me borrow theirs so I can burn it, I would surely appreciate it. Im in the Fairbanks North Pole Area. Thanks for any help out there!
    Happy New Years, all.....
    I hear what you're saying Medo. I set-up my Dillon about four to six times a year, and I crank out lots of ammo of different calibers. However, each time I set it up I have to brush-up with the manual. I've never owned the DVD...I've only used the manual. Do you have a manual for the 550b? If not, I'd be glad to copy mine and mail it to you. Let me know.

Doc

Hi All,
    Just for the record, I called dillon. I reminded them I have spent well over 2000 bucks with them over the last couple years. And they said the best they could do was reduce the shipping a bit. i havent even ever been able to get so much as a free calendar from them. I hear all these stories about how Dillon hooks up all their customers, and this is like the 4th time they havent given me the time of day. Despite that, Dillon is still the #1 press, but I keep getting the dud employees....So, the hunt is still on. I do have my manual and the pdf manual of it as well, I just like watching the video. You know, its fun to read, but we all like the movies
    Anyways, the search continues....

Since Mike moved out of his garage work shop to the airport across the road from the 300 to the 1000. I have been using Mike and have never had a problem. My one and only 550B started life as a 400 every upgrade they did from the 400 to the 550 B was a free upgrade, the only thing that was left from the 400 was the handle. They have bent over backward for me. I have been charged for work on both of my RL-1000's both and A and a B model, but they never had the same warranty all the other machines have as this was and is commercial machines. I would call and ask to speak to management. No not really, I would call and ask to speak to Mike.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Dillon is the most niggardly company in the handloading game.
    They'll replace a part, but only after you mail in the broken piece, and if you are just ordering a couple small items under an ounce, they hit you with $10 to mail it no matter the weight.

I have 2 550B machines. They are a nice progressive machine. Always pays to read the manual when its been a while.

Biggest problem I have is the primer feed hangs up and no matter how tweeked or polished, is never reliable enough not to inspect each primed case.

RCBS has never beat me up for replacement parts, nor Forster, or Redding. Even Lyman is halfway reasonable; not our compadres in Arizona. Not to mention the cost of their parts. You'd think you were buying fuel injection parts for a Maserati instead of a some modestly heat-treated steel or rough finished aluminum.

I scored the vhs version, thanks to gunbugs, and bill and his wife at Pro tec. And my co worker just got a vhs dvd dubber for xmas, and will burn me up tonight. All is well....Thanks everyone.....

Quote Originally Posted by lester View Post
    Biggest problem I have is the primer feed hangs up and no matter how tweeked or polished, is never reliable enough not to inspect each primed case.
    I have only experienced this issue once with my 550B.

It turned out that the last primer in the tube would fail to load into the feed cup. After close inspection I found the tip on the end of the primer tube to be defective.

I simply replaced that piece with one of the extras that comes with the machine and it worked perfect.

I went the store last week. They gave me some new plastic ends for the primer feed tube and and a new primer catcher. They would not give me the rod for the primer crimp tool that is tweaked a bit on without getting the old one.

The demo 550 at the store fed primers real slick. Mine does not feed primers worth a FFIARD. The more I adjust it, the worse it gets. Must be me. I use the Lee Primer Seater as a consequence for SR primers in 5.56.

They have modded the new 550's the bearing plate for the traveling seater with something slickery as a bearing surface and coated the primer bar as well.
    The counter guy said we customers align the primer feeder, then tighten those two allen screws on the bottom farmer tight, which tweaks the casting and hangs up the bar. (guilty!).
    They will rebuild the whole machine for $25 (plus shipping).
    He said if I present the old parts, they would replace under warranty.

I went by Magma Engineering, ( think Star lubri sizer) bought some parts, got the cooks tour, and the mgr gave me a cold beer a the end of the day. The master caster is a $1 large, I want one!

RCBS just send me parts when I bust them and call them. Always been by fault. They never charge me. I feel so guilty I keep buying RCBS stuff.

I just watched a video on youtube of the Dillon 550b press. Check these videos out. They show the whole process from start to finish. I watched one video load 45 ACP and another load 223. One thing that got my attention was that they do not clean primer pockets. Does this not ever cause a problem? I only load with a single stage press, but always clean my primer pockets.