Thread: 1895 marlin finish

Default 1895 marlin finish

Howdy,I'm wanten to put some type of a finish on an old marlin 45govt. but my pockets are kinda shallow right now.So i'm planning on doin it myself.This rifle shoots and packs great nothin fancy,"just a nice little rifle.The metal is slightly pitted in places and i have sanded the metal bare.Originally i wanted to try my hand at parkerizing but found that the cemicals are not readilly avalible and are pricey.I checked the gunsmith cercuit and there wanten 200+ to do the work then the price getten it there and back.So is there any type of sprayon bakeon stuff out there that is black or olive green,gray?Like to get her ready for the spring.
    my names darr, and this is my first post.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanx Darr.

I don't have any experience in refinishing gun metal, but I just wanted to say you have a fine rifle there, and welcome to the forums! I'm sure some one will jump in here and give you some tips.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by aleutian View Post
    Howdy,I'm wanten to put some type of a finish on an old marlin 45govt. but my pockets are kinda shallow right now. . . So is there any type of sprayon bakeon stuff out there that is black or olive green,gray?Like to get her ready for the spring.
    my names darr, and this is my first post.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanx Darr.
    Let me begin by saying welcome to the forum. I hope you find some help while you're here and please share what you know with us as well.

As for your question there are many available spray on finishes that produce good results. None of them are perfect and all will need to be reapplied eventually, but for about 30-35$ you can have a rust-proof, attractive finish. I've had great success with Brownells products and can recommend them. You must bead blast the items to be sprayed, but with patience and proper metal preparation your end product will look well done. The only concern for the home gunsmith is the baking procedure and I use the kitchen stove for this. Overall length could be an issue so measure your oven before you get started to make certain your Marlin will fit. I prefer Brownells Teflon product to Gun-Kote and I Teflon coated my Marlin 5-6 years ago and it is still in great shape.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...RE__GUN_FINISH

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...RE__GUN_FINISH

thanx guys for the warm welcome,that teflon coating from brownells looks to be the cats meow,but they state at the bottom of the page can only ship to the continental48,did you aquire yours before bin ladin screwed the planet?Or is there a supplier up here?
    darr.

I'd be really inclined to do a rust bluing job on it. The results are as tough or tougher than hot tank bluing, and vastly superior to cold blues. It's also really easy to get a nice, uniform job with rust bluing, while darned near impossible with cold blue. There is a compound for it available from Brownell, but I don't remember the name and haven't used it. Rust bluing comes out more black than blue, but I like that better anyway.

I use the solution from Laurel Mountain Forge on traditional muzzleloaders and one shotgun with incredible results. To show you how easy it is, the instructions are here. Scroll part way down the page. I get mine from Track of the Wolf, and at $9.49 it's hard to imagine anything cheaper, since that's enough for 2+ guns. It's basically a soapy kind of solution, so I've never had any problems with shipping. It's about the most popular thing going with muzzleloader builders, but almost unheard of in the centerfire crowd. Definitely their loss!

Default marlin update

Man is the wind blowin or what,Well i gave up on gettin the various gun finish products from brownells sent up here, way to costly and takes forever by slowboat not to menchun "nice spellin", all the red tape, and went to the local hardware store and picked up a can of zinc galvanized spray paint warmed the metal up a bit and walla looks kinda like it was parkerized,Its definatley not as durable but what the heck ,just touch iit up when needed,not bad for a $5 and two ones, with the new finish and new wood its ready for another 30years of service.I,ll see about gettin the misses to post a picture.
    Darr.

I'm looking forward to pictures!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default heres marlin pics

galvanized spray paint finish
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the forum! The metal looks like it took the paint well and at a good price; nicely done! I've never seen a Gadsden on a stock before!