View Poll Results: favorite "all around" big game hunting rifles in Alaska?

Voters
741. You may not vote on this poll
  • .30-06

157 21.19%
  • 7mm Magum

41 5.53%
  • .300WM

208 28.07%
  • .338WM

193 26.05%
  • .45-70

24 3.24%
  • .35 Whelen

18 2.43%
  • .338-06

13 1.75%
  • .340 Weatherby

17 2.29%
  • .338RUM

11 1.48%
  • .375 H&H

59 7.96%
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Your "all around" AK hunting rifle-caliber?

Default No

Not your average safari rifle, neither in caliber nor quality, that's for sure.

browning lever rifle chambered for 358 winchester.
    The gun has both open sights and a 1.75-5 power burris scope. 3/4 inch groups are the norm with almost EVERY 358 bullet (not at all picky) With a 200 yd. zero my 250 grain loads drop between 9-12 inches @ 300 yards. It has knockdown power all out of proportion to the size of both the rifle and the cartridge. cases can easily be formed from 308 winchester brass. I get 2,400 fps from a 250 grainer. A second shot from this rifle is so fast it should be outlawed. No animal I've ever shot needed a follow up. If I had to get rid of the rest of my rifles.......this 6.5 lb. darling of a rifle would go to the grave with me. Any animal in North America within 300 yards (which for me is almost every hunting situation)......will be cleanly and humanely harvested with a well placed 220-250 grainer fired from a 358 winchester. I drooled over this cartridge since I was a poor kid reading gun magazines......the magnums never impressed me.

Default 30-06 on African Safari

Yeah and 7 one-shot kills....thats because he was probably only about 25 yards set up over a watering hole in a Bowhunting Blind.

I went with my trusty 300 wm. The biggest advantage is the gun itself not the caliber. The tikka t3 light is joy to carry up and down the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    Only had room for ten calibers. while the .270 is quite a nice caliber, as a big game hunting rifle it may not be the best in bear country. Now, pared to a .338WM or a .375H&H it's just a wonderful cartridge.
    I don't know about that. 270WSM is awsome. I would use it on everything but brownies.

BYW I use an 06 for everything with my own reloads.

The wife wanted a rifle for valentines day (isn't she great and I now have a sheep/goat gun to use......shhhhh) so I got her the 270WSM. Fun round to reload.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

It seems that this poll is taking the form of the previous poll I created, in that the .30-06 .300WM, and .338WM were the most popular. But in the last poll the .338 was ahead, and the .375 H&H was number four down the line. We still have nearly three months before the poll expires, which may be a good thing because I haven't noticed a lot of the other forum members posting comments this time. The .375H&H seems to be popular near Anchorage and the cost line, while the .30-06 is more widespread throughout Alaska. The .300 and .338 seem to be nearly as popular as the .30-06, specially in the interior of AK.

Default Drat!

300 is ahead! I better get ACORN in on this so .30-06 will win.

Sayak you know Ernie Shaver,if he ever had hair Ali knocked it off

i believe the .300wm is the best caliber if you had one gun to hunt everything in north america, maybe a little small for the biggest bears but with a well placed shot the best all around gun. IMHO.

I voted for the 30-06. I own both an old 06 and a 300 WSM. I bought the 300 when I was looking for a new SS gun to hunt with. I was looking for a 338, but got a really good deal on the Model 70 300. For all around good gun you can't go wrong with the 30-06. It is probably the most common hunting rifle and ammunition is plentiful (as others have said).

Like most have said, the one pulling the trigger is probably contributing more to the kill. I know people who have killed grizzly bears with a single action .22 LR (not recommended, however when one is between a rock and a mean fur ball....)

Default 358

Mainer in AK,

I have a 358 BLR I am going to take on my next hunt and let the 375 H&H have a rest.
    All my loads are in 225 Nosler. I assume you are shooting 250 grn Spears? I do not have a scope but use a reciever site since I don't plan on shooting anything over 100 yards.
    Have you taken a Moose with your BLR yet?
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Well I skipped to the end of the thread so not sure if anyone else posted this or not but I have landed on a Kimber 325wsm. The "little 8" in a 7lb scoped stainless, kevlar package, handles 200's and 220's nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    i believe the .300wm is the best caliber if you had one gun to hunt everything in north america, maybe a little small for the biggest bears but with a well placed shot the best all around gun. IMHO.
    I like the .300WM, but find the .338WM a better all around cartridge because it can be loaded with numerous bullets of weights and designs, from 165 grains all the way to 300 grains. For the largest game I prefer bullets such as the 225-grain TSX as a minimum. However, what I consider "better" is just a matter of opinion

The way I see a lot of these cartridges is as follows:

a. The .30-06. This cartridge overlaps the lower ballistics range of the .300WM
    b. The 300WM. This cartridge pushes the ballistics of the .30-06 to a high level, and overlaps the lower ballistics range of the .338WM to perhaps a bullet weight around 220 grains.
    c. The .338WM. This cartridge nears the lower ballistics range of the .375H&H. In other words, the .338WM can be loaded with lightweight bullets, and with such it produces somewhat similar ballistics as the .300WM. It can also be loaded with bullets from approximately 235 grains 300 grains, and it approaches the lower ballistics range of the .375H&H.

That said, none of these cartridges is equal to the other. Each one has its own ideal ballistics range, none is better than the other, and each can be used as an all around cartridge.

300rum very nice good.....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Well I skipped to the end of the thread so not sure if anyone else posted this or not but I have landed on a Kimber 325wsm. The "little 8" in a 7lb scoped stainless, kevlar package, handles 200's and 220's nicely.
    Yes, your .325 is a nice rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    300rum very nice good.....
    Yeah, yeah, enough about your $325 m700 RUM....

.338Win Mag will do it all. If there were no Browns and Grizz i would have went with the 06.

When are you closing the polls?......or is this gonna be an ongoing thing, looks like it has been proven the .300 WM wins it!

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    When are you closing the polls?......or is this gonna be an ongoing thing, looks like it has been proven the .300 WM wins it!
    90 days. By then, once some bear hunters add to the poll, the .338WM will be first, .300WM second, .30-06 third, and the .375H&H a close fourth. The problem is when non Alaska hunters add to the poll, but hopefully they will refrain from entering since this poll is to their benefit. So far so good, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    Mainer in AK,

I have a 358 BLR I am going to take on my next hunt and let the 375 H&H have a rest.
    All my loads are in 225 Nosler. I assume you are shooting 250 grn Spears? I do not have a scope but use a reciever site since I don't plan on shooting anything over 100 yards.
    Have you taken a Moose with your BLR yet?

Why yes I have sir.....the shot was 178 yds. on a young bull moose. With a 200 yd. zero.....your rifle with those 225 gr. noslers will drop roughly 8-12 inches at 300. So what you have there Mkay......is an Intermediate range big game cartridge that will be cabable of 300 yd. shots on any game animal in this state, all while packing some serious energy at that range due to the pointed spitzer bullets and the heavy weight of the bullet. Although you like receiver sights and I applaud your use of them.....don't limit yourself to 100 yds......limit yourself to 300 yds. A fixed 2 power, 1-4 or 1.5-6 power scope is just about perfect for the 358. Anything else would be a mis-match and too much magnification. If you tote this rifle during hunting season......you aint just giving the 375 a rest......you are giving yourself a rest too.....by not carrying around that heavy rifle. Be careful though.....it may spoil you after a few days due to it's light weight, easy handling through brush, surprising range, and power all in one package.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast