Thread: Wolf weight estimated by hide length?

Default Wolf weight estimated by hide length?

I was wondering if there was some sort of estimation guide for live wolf weight relative to the length of the skinned hide (tip of nose to tip of tail)? Or any info if you have both weighed a wolf and measured the hide? Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan, Thats a tough one. One of the largest wolves I ever took was also one of the skinniest due to the fact that it had been running around with a broken leg for some time. On the flip side I have taken some pups that were rather heavyweights. Much like a fox or coyote the weight depends on how well they have eaten and how long it has been since they last filled their bellies. A wolf that just gorged on moose may have 10 pounds or more of moose meat in its belly.
    I know of no guide like the one you are looking for. Suffice it to say the 150 pound wolf does not exist. In my experince only the largest break 100 pounds with the real pigs going over 110-120 as far as measurements I personnaly dont keep track of that.
    Some place I have a copy of Dean Wilsons AK trapping book. He does talk about wolf sizes in it a bit. I will try and find it tonight as right now I need to go out and drive a snowmachine a cross a bunch of brown tundra and check a few sets. Sure hope it cools off soon I can't even get to my wolf line yet
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Hopefully W_G will chime in, I do believe he took a 110# wolf last year? perhgaps the year before..

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...pictureid=3189
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default WOW!

Someone I actually agree with 100% on wolf weights! So many guys talking about these 150+ wolves (or 90lb pup?) Obviously guys who haven't killed many, or any.
    Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    Ryan, Thats a tough one. One of the largest wolves I ever took was also one of the skinniest due to the fact that it had been running around with a broken leg for some time. On the flip side I have taken some pups that were rather heavyweights. Much like a fox or coyote the weight depends on how well they have eaten and how long it has been since they last filled their bellies. A wolf that just gorged on moose may have 10 pounds or more of moose meat in its belly.
    I know of no guide like the one you are looking for. Suffice it to say the 150 pound wolf does not exist. In my experince only the largest break 100 pounds with the real pigs going over 110-120 as far as measurements I personnaly dont keep track of that.
    Some place I have a copy of Dean Wilsons AK trapping book. He does talk about wolf sizes in it a bit. I will try and find it tonight as right now I need to go out and drive a snowmachine a cross a bunch of brown tundra and check a few sets. Sure hope it cools off soon I can't even get to my wolf line yet

131lbs 7'6" (nose to tail)

I also agree that there is probably not a wolf over 150 running around out there, but I did see a larger one when I took that hog, that I didn't get a shot at. Weights are a hard thing to judge on a wolf, just because he stands tall dosn't mean he is heavy
    I got that hog in southeast back in the december of 99, It was weighed on a cetified scale at a fish plant.

Thanks guys, this pretty much answers my question. I don't nessasarily need the guide per say, the main thing I was looking for was some accurate wolf sizes versus the "I know a guy who got a 150 pounder". I got my first wolf this year and it measured a hair shy of 7ft. I skinned it on site and was never able to weigh it. Taking in consideration human nature is to over-estimate animal size, I guessed it at 100lbs, even still I am probably guessing on the heavy side. To me it just looked like a healthy, proportionate male. Not skinny, and not a hog, but I keep hearing people talk about same size or smaller wolves weighing a lot more.

I hear so many people talk about 150# wolves and all that. I think they are just awkward to pic up and so they seem bigger. Every wolf I've EVER heard was 120+ lbs was FAT and full of food.

For reference. I'm 6' 220 lbs. This wolf only weighed 109lbs. It was the Alpha male of the pack, and BY FAR the biggest (wish we would have had pics after we got it, but had others to go get).

IN order the weights of these 70, 109, 89, 77.

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Nice wolves! Thanks for posting those pics, I haven't seen ones of both holding it up and a hanging one of the same wolf, let alone known its weight. It really helps to get a perspective.

I agree that it depends on the individual wolf. I got a large female a few years ago that weighed in at only 70 lbs. When I skinned her out she was nothing but skin and bones but still stretched a little over 7'. She was by herself and the pickin's had obviously been slim. Had she been at a healthy weight, I would guess she would have been another 15-20 lbs heavier but the hide would have stretched the same.

Yk

Default I've put up near

100 wolves and the largest I have weighed was 126#. I did catch one that I feel was just a bit bigger, but didn't put it on a scale. I would guess a wolf could reach the 150# mark but it would be a freakazoid!

For a rule of thumb, if the wolf is over 100#'s, it will stretch around 7' 4" or larger. I does depend on body size as some are longer and leaner versus stockier and thicker. I just picked up a black wolf that was about 112#. It is a beast!

Now I am wondering something else, how much approx. do you gain by stretching? I literally skinned mine, laid the hide on the ground and measured it.

big differance when streched. will be longer.

Default You can measure

by hanging on a nail after skinned or by stretching it on a board. You really don't gain either way. The word "stretching" doesn't appear to mean what people think. Stretching means putting on a "stretcher" a board made for drying the skin. Contrary to popular belief, I do NOT STRETCH the hide, I pull it over the board and make sure it is snug on it. You can "over stretch" fur and you will notice it. Kind of like measuring a bear hide. You can stretch the crap out of it and measure or just get it snug and measure.

Thanks again for the info