Thread: newbie help

Default newbie help

evening folks,

I am looking at getting a couple of older snowmachines for family use. We are looking to get simple machines for pulling some sleds and riding easy trails. wont be doing any hill climbing or hotdogging....

anyone have any suggestions for brands and models that are mechanically simple and durable and are built for utility purposes??

thanks everyone for any advise you'd like to share.

Greg

Cant beat a ski doo tundra for a general runabout.........you can hotdog and hill climb with them too
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    ..you can hotdog and hill climb with them too

huh?...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Dude my 09 550 tundra climbs like a goat is as fast or faster than any other 500- 600 machine I've ridden and it carves up powder like a dream! The only thing about the 09 that isn't playtime compatible is the **** 2 up seat! That thing is history next year. Granted it's not a summit but it sure isn't a dog either!

The 1988 250 was more work horse than playmate but even it would surprise me from time to time.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Im just giving you cr@p......I have yet to enter the world of utility sleds...I've wanted one for quite some time now....towing a trailer with my 800 renegade sure is a PITA........really....you should see the hitch I made out of rope and a carabiner...lol....that was a step up from the door hinge I bolted on there last year...

and Greg....pretty much any older sled you look at will do for your stated needs....more importantly you find one in good running condition for a decent price...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Towing with a renegade! Yep that would be a PITA! Love to video of that "Alaskan creative engineering."

You must have excellent throttle control!

Agreed just about any older sled in good shape will fit the bill Greg.........as long as it's a ski doo!
    BHA Member

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    evening folks,

I am looking at getting a couple of older snowmachines for family use. We are looking to get simple machines for pulling some sleds and riding easy trails. wont be doing any hill climbing or hotdogging....

anyone have any suggestions for brands and models that are mechanically simple and durable and are built for utility purposes??

thanks everyone for any advise you'd like to share.

Greg
    For a family riding trails and pulling sleds....I would look for any two seater that is in good shape. A bearcat 340 or 440 would soon become your favorite sled of all time IF you ever found one of those used......I do see them on craigs occasionally. They have an awsome drivetrain and was my first worksled. I bought a 96 (new in 96) and I had put 6,000 miles on her before I sold it and bought a new P widetrak in 2000. My aunt and uncle ice fish, cruise, and haul stuff with a Polaris Indylite 340 two seater.....he's had it for a good many years with no issues. So those would be my first two choices. I wish I never got rid of my bearcat 440. Good luck.

Default There are...

... two well maintained Polaris 340 Indy Lites sitting on a trailer at the Soldotna Auto Country lot. I owned these type machines in the 90s and did most everything with them. They are good family machines for work or simple trail riding.

There's a bearcat on craigslist today for cheap.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery