Thread: Another Tent Thread!

Default Another Tent Thread!

Okay, so I know this topic is getting beat up and always does, but I need some opinions for those who have experience. I am putting together gear for my 2010 BR sheep hunt and need a tent. There will be 3 of us in the group so it needs to be at least a 3 person tent. I get a pretty good discount on the certain brands of outdoor gear so I am trying to stick with them. The brands are as follows:

MSR
    Marmot
    Sierra Design
    Mountain Hardwear
    GoLite
    Nemo

I have researched all of them and wondering if any of you have experience using them to help me narrow down my search. Thanks for your help in advance.

v/r,

Ryan

For my 2008 Brooks Range sheep hunt I used a Kelty (4 -season) for my base camp tent and a Mountain Hardwear lightwedge 2 (3-season) for spike and both worked good for their intended purpose. If money wasn't an issue...Hilleberg would be the ticket.

For my 2008 sheep hunt, because I was solo, I took a 3lb. Mountain hardwear Bunker 1 (4-season) and it was great.

Another thing to think about is you three could take your own bivy tent (1 man), some weigh as light as 2lbs.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I carry A Mt hardware.. Trango 2 four season.. and am quite happy with it, performance wise.. i do wish i had added the extra few lbs and gotten the 3... fully bullet proof winds up to 65 + in it so far and never been damp. the double vestibule is helpful for packs and such.. and with the 5 aluminum poles it set up in about 10 min..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    For my 2008 Brooks Range sheep hunt I used a Kelty (4 -season) for my base camp tent and a Mountain Hardwear lightwedge 2 (3-season) for spike and both worked good for their intended purpose. If money wasn't an issue...Hilleberg would be the ticket.

For my 2008 sheep hunt, because I was solo, I took a 3lb. Mountain hardwear Bunker 1 (4-season) and it was great.

Another thing to think about is you three could take your own bivy tent (1 man), some weigh as light as 2lbs.

correction: the second hunt was my 2009 hunt.

We used a 4 person Go-Lite Vahalla tent for three of us this last sheep season. Like alot of sheep hunters this year, we got hammered by a cold front and the tent was well tested.

Pros:

- Light for 3 people (about 6 lbs all up)
    - Very spacious for 3.
    - Took wind and snow like a champ. Very low profile. We did add some extra guy lines, but I do that to almost every tent.
    - Vented pretty well for a single wall.

Cons:

- Small vestibules that are hard to unzip from the inside. We were able to wedge all the packs in them, but it was tight.
    - The one we had leaked at all 4 corners where several seams joined together. Nothing some seam sealer couldn't fix I expect.

I can't comment on durability, since it was a new tent and we only used it for 5 nights. All-in-all, for a 3 person trip I'd use it again. The space-to-weight ratio was great. Hope that helps

Yk.

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input. Keep 'em coming. I feel the more advice I have, the better decision I will be able to make when I make my tent purchase.

-Ryan