Thread: Black Powder Gunsmiths?

Default Black Powder Gunsmiths?

Had a accident the other day and in need of a gun smith who has black powder rifle experience. Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks

Dennis

I only know of builders, though I assume they could do repairs if they could fit you into their busy schedules.

What make is your gun and what did you do to it?

I'm not sure exactly what happened. I fired off a round and had a large blow back. Enough to remove the nipple completely and in the process blew the hammer back into the stock and rendered it useless. I was going to tear into it this weekend and see if I could figure anything out.

Ah, man. That sounds like a really close call, especially happening right in front of your face. Things like overpressure, loose nipple, or wrong nipple size come to mind, but who knows. I'd use a straight edge to check for a barrel bulge or ring while you're at it. If the threads for the nipple were damaged, it might mean a barrel replacement over and above stock repairs. Hard to imagine that the lock was damaged, but still worth checking.

What make and caliber of rifle is it, BTW?

It's a Thompson 50Cal. I could see a nipple issue as its the one thing that I replaced new this year and perhaps worked its way loose. This is definitely the most it's ever been fired in one year. I drew a Ft. Rich moose hunt so every time I left the hunting areas, I had to fire to unload it and sometimes that was a shot every day for a couple of weeks.

From your description I'm assuming it's a sidelock. I'd be sending it directly back to T/C, whether you bought it new or used. They've got a lifetime warranty, and long as they can't determine that the incident was negligence on your part, repair will be gratis (and fast). Give them a call first- the number is on their site.

Thanks, will give it a go. Best place to get it repaired, and it hadn't even dawned on me. Again thanks.

Dennis

Any experience with shipping out of the state? Thompson's site says use UPS. I guess put it in a gun case than box that up. Same shipping rules don't apply to black powder as other firearms do they?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTPIT View Post
    Any experience with shipping out of the state? Thompson's site says use UPS. I guess put it in a gun case than box that up. Same shipping rules don't apply to black powder as other firearms do they?
    No restrictions on shipping.
    You can use US Mail if you like, but TC can set their own rules on what they like.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Great, will have to get it in the mail sometime soon. Thanks for the input everyone.

Dennis