Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: long lake? [glen]

Default long lake? [glen]

any one ever fish long lake? i was thinking of heading there on new years for some [party fishing].whats in the lake? what should i use? any advice would be apriciated! thanks

There's Char, a few Burbot and some lakers. I guess there are some Rainbows in there too but I can't say for sure.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

dude that lakes sucks.....dont ever waste your time there..not worth the drive and the wind is just as ridiculous as the fishing...

Release Lake Trout

Hunt & Fish is right, I have never fished that lake when it was not windy as heck.
    It does have Rainbows, Dolly, Lakers, Burbot. I have caught all the above out there.
    The wind really does BLOW out there, snow can be in huge drifts.

I always did the best at the far end of the lake on the right side.

Small jigs for trout species, herring for the burbot.

better secure all your gear too.....and make sure you have ice anchors for your shelter, cuz youll be chasin it down the lake if you dont

Release Lake Trout

Default thanks

thank for the info guys. i went out there today to give it a test run and man did the wind BLOW! the fishing wasnt all that bad though. we caught aroud 20 8-10 inch char and a couple of keepers.

Way to go on getting out there and giving it a shot. Glad you got on some fish, Joe. Now and then I hear about some nice fishing coming out of that lake.

I've never fished Long Lake, and with all this talk of wind it may stay that way. I put up with enough of that junk back in windy Wyoming.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default Long lake

A good wind break will do wonders for you 85% of the time good fishing

probly gonna give her a go on new years day... got no work till monday...WOOHOO!

Release Lake Trout

we should be there by 9 am i call the spot on the left...lol

looks like its going to be a busy place, i will also be headed up that way. Hope y'all don't catch all the fish first. All the big ones are in the back right side anyways, so I call that spot.

never mind, im gonna take my kid to chuck e cheese

Release Lake Trout

I'm sure YOU will have a better time there. =But your kids would probably rather go fishing.

haha yea but my boss didnt pay me today, so leavin town is not an option anymore

Release Lake Trout

Default Burbot

The family and I picked up 4 small Burbot(25 to 27 inches) up there this weekend and the wind was horrible, we earned those fish....... The temp. was 10 below, the wind more than 20 mph.,and here's the funny part, the kids pouted when we would not stay a second night. We do sleep in the camper but spend alot of time on the ice in that hostile environment. Of course I made the mistake of mentioning how my friend and I stayed 4 days in an ice cave we built, while Burbot fishing in the 80's. Now it seems I will be doing this in a few weeks for the kids. Parenting...... it can be so tough sometimes.
    Cheers,
    MO

i havent ever caught a burbot. how do you guys fish them? i dont mean to steal all your secrets but what parts of long lake produce good burbot fishing?

Unhappy whole lotta nuthin

Hey Markothout, im pretty sure that me and my buddy were there the same evening. Your kiddo said that some fellow caught a few burbot and lakers. We were the guys loading up later that evening. I like the whole camper, and tip up set up. Me and my cohort went out on the lake Sunday morning, midnight to seven am. We put in close to where you guys drilled a bajillion holes. My friend caught a 4 inch burbot, and by god that fish took it all the way down the gullet. The wind was gusting close to 30 mph. Our ice shack, a quickfish 3, kept imploding so we finally tied off the wind ways end to a snowmachine to keep that end from folding in. An hour later the wind shifted and the other side collapsed almost igniting the whole shack via the Mr.Buddy heater. Thank god for ice screws and tie downs. A lot of work for a four incher.

Default joefish

Go north, fish in less than 15 feet of water. If you have a snow machine the Burbot fishing can be super rewarding.
    As far as Long Lake goes, it has an extremely fragile ecosystem that should have already been decimated from pressure, but is not for one reason only. The Burbot fishing is only marginal,"at best" but you should catch one or two if you put your time in. Remember shallow is better, I have caught them in a few inches of water under the ice. I have caught a few in most places around the lake over the years, except where the Char fisherman congregate on the left side, by the rock.
    This weekend we go north to Lake Louise too try for a slab. If you see us in our white camper say hi, my kids are much more forward with information than myself when it comes to relinquishing Burbot hot spots. lol They are also nice covert information gatherers.
    Good luck
    Mark

Default thanks

thanks, i'll give the shalower parts a try.

What is the condition of the lake? Is there lots of snow and overflow? Anybody know?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast