Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many people do you hunt moose with?

Default How many people do you hunt moose with?

Have you found an optimum group size when hunting moose? I know there are a lot of variables. For example, I don't take more than 6 others when I lead snowmobilers into the backcountry. Its just an easy number to keep track of, enough help to get a dead sled out, not too many different attitudes to deal with when under a stressful situation, etc.
    I would have my cub and no time restrictions and don't care if I shoot anything on this trip. My dad is retired and would have minimal time restrictions and he is priority one for chance to fill a tag on this hunt. My dad and brothers or friends would be flying up from lower 48, then at least one and probably two more chartered flights before I would fly them to "camp" for roughly a 10 hunt. For now, I'm thinking we will be taking home about 100 lbs of meat per person and I will fly the remainder of meat to nearest locals. Cub will probably be on wheels and we may have a boat or at least a raft/s. I don't think we will be hunting more than a half mile away from water or plane. I will fly in the hazmat, so I don't plan on having to have a separate supply charter.
    How many other shooters should I limit on this hunt?
    What numbers make for efficient or economical travel from Anc/Fairbanks to camp and which plane?
    What numbers make for good hunting and "enjoyable" splitting up the duties and getting moose out to plane?

My only current hunting pard is my wife, I manly hunt solo. However with a few phone calls I've never had trouble getting pack-out help within a mile or two of the road system.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Unintentional spelling?

I think it's a lot more manly to pack the moose out by yourself than to hunt alone and call folks to help you pack. I'm not questioning your manliness or anything like that...just a friendly jibe due to the spelling in your post that I'm sure was supposed to be 'mainly'.

v/r

salcha star road

Wink Moose

Either personal hunts or professonal hunts...
    I prefer a max of two shooters.

I prefer limiting my hunts to two gunners because:
    1) Moose are a low density critter. So even where there is a lot of moose, there isn't really a lot of big, legal bulls.
    2) Moose are big and heavy and I get tired of them hindquarters on my back. Figure each moose ends up being 9 full backpacks (if you keep the cape). So even with a team of three, that ends up being three trips from the kill site to the raft. If the team consists of only two "able packers", that is still four full trips and one additional light pack trip to the raft,
    3)Moose capes seem to take a lot of fleshing work. So with each moose I loose a day of hunting time.

Time invested in items 2 and 3 can be reduced by shooting moose close to the river, by skinning the cape effeciently at the kill site, or simply by not keeping the cape.

Dennis

A moose properly split will pack out in two trips. Put the legs over your shoulders a go,remember to take the back end first and the head and antlers on the second trip with the front end,best to leave connected

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    A moose properly split will pack out in two trips. Put the legs over your shoulders a go,remember to take the back end first and the head and antlers on the second trip with the front end,best to leave connected
    you must shoot really little moose... or else you are the biggest baddest dude on the forum

i agree with 7-9 full trips, depending on size of moose and whether you keep the cape.
    i hunt with no more than one other person, but often i hunt from the house by myself, knowing that i can get louise to help if i get one.
    there are not many folks i care to hunt with, and one moose between 2 folks is 75% of a years meat for two households... but we just have one kid, and my pards are mostly childless.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Really? I would like to see that. My moose this year was 770 lbs hanging weight. Another moose in camp was about 850 lbs hanging weight. You telling me you can carry that much out by yourself in two trips?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    you must shoot really little moose... or else you are the biggest baddest dude on the forum

i agree with 7-9 full trips, depending on size of moose and whether you keep the cape.
    i hunt with no more than one other person, but often i hunt from the house by myself, knowing that i can get louise to help if i get one.
    there are not many folks i care to hunt with, and one moose between 2 folks is 75% of a years meat for two households... but we just have one kid, and my pards are mostly childless.
    NO KIDDING!!!!! amigo is 8 foot tall and 400lbs

i do 11 trips
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    you must shoot really little moose
    Well that is a possibility I considered also.

Default another possibility...

maybe he moose hunts on kodiak
    (uh, will, .... those aren't moose)

You gotta use a trump line. I like to use an old boat sling that I pick up at the haul out at the harbor

do you mean "tump line"?
    or are you playing cards?

Anyone claiming to be packing out a moose in two trips, non-motorized, by themselves is using some sort of line, or perhaps feeding us one!

Default BS

Its time for the
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think 2 is the perfect number for any animal. It just makes sense, 2 backstraps, 2 loins, 2 hind quarters, 2 front etc. Even with a partner I usually actualy hunt alone, but long hikes, camp chores, and meat hauling is best with a buddy

I've shot moose solo or with up to 3 other guys around. Usually in our moose camp there is 4 of us. And we generally all go to different spike camps away from the man camp together and then break into 2 groups of 2 in order to cover more area. I really think more than 6 or so in camp is a bit much. We aren't too concerned with who the shooters are in camp so long as we come home with the meat. Hunting with folks you get along with is key though.

Regardless of whether you are one tough amigo or less tough like me, I would keep the number of gunners at 2 or 4. While many hunters do prefer to hunt solo, most seem to prefer to a hunting buddy. As aways, 3 gunners together is a crowd.

Also keep in mind that your air support will have weight limits. For example, a Beaver (the aircraft) will probably have a 1200 pound limit. Years ago I thought I usually had a 1400 pound limit, but now I'm generally limited to 1200 pounds. So two hunters weighing 200 pounds each will leave an 800 pound weight allowance for other stuff. And that is a lot of stuff, if it does not include a 200+ pound raft. But four hunters will weigh roughly 800 pounds, which will start to cut into your camp, food, and salt weight allowance. You will need to take 25+- pounds of salt for each moose cape (and/or grizz pelt) you intend to retrieve. And note that while aircraft weight allowances seem to be getting smaller, hunters seem to be getting bigger and heavier. And beer is really heavy also.

If you can legally debone the meat, or some of the meat, you will be able to get two dead moose- real moose/normal moose that are of the size I'm familier with- in a Beaver. So I would plan for one aircraft in, and two out.

Opps! Your the goosepilot, so you are very aware of airplane weight allowances. Oh well.

Dennis

How many people I hunt moose with?...None. (Everyone always bails out at the last minute). Last Moose hunt was an Archery draw hunt (2007), took a real nice bull, dropped the moose at .97 of a GPS mile from my truck, took two days to get him out in 13 trips, had to cross a river, and a couple sloughs. The last load was the rack, skull and hide, and was probably the heaviest, I finally had to break down and cape out the hide and separate it from the rack, after sawing off the skull with one tiny fine tooth hack saw.....Learned alot of lessons from that ordeal, but I'd do it again.

kaha....
    ...and I salute you...
    ...admire the quest...
    ...and respect the effort...
    ...for I have been there myself a time or two during those soul searching ordeals...

...and at the end, I too, felt good. Tired and sore, but good.

dennis

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well i have shot butchered & packed 11 of 19 on my own, I f i have to go more then 100 yards they equal 11 pieces... the last six years we have had good wheelers to help. but as for number of people in camp..

it really depends on the person.. kids, and or new hunters... TWO. is about what i can handle.. if there are more that can pull their own weight.. and/ or help out with the inexperienced ones then it is no problem to have more...

last year a buddy of mine and i took 5 others up the side of a mtn after one 60 inch moose... 7 in all, and though we did not connect and the others were all on a first stalk they all had fun, every one made it back to camps and nothing got broke...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast