Thread: Floating the 40 mile

Default Floating the 40 mile

Hi My name is Russ I'm new to this forum.
    My dad and I are planning our first float hunt for next year. We are going to float the 40 mile from Joseph to the Taylor highway. We are planning on 12-15 days to hunt it properly. We have a 15 foot raft for the two of us. How many river miles is this trip? It looks about 90 miles. I understand there is a portage at the Kink. How is the fishing? Is it worth bring a rod? How is the portage? Any advice from people who have floated this river would be appreciated as this is our first float hunt. Thank you.

Default Air Charter

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    Hi My name is Russ I'm new to this forum.
    My dad and I are planning our first float hunt for next year. We are going to float the 40 mile from Joseph to the Taylor highway. We are planning on 12-15 days to hunt it properly. We have a 15 foot raft for the two of us. How many river miles is this trip? It looks about 90 miles. I understand there is a portage at the Kink. How is the fishing? Is it worth bring a rod? How is the portage? Any advice from people who have floated this river would be appreciated as this is our first float hunt. Thank you.
    Have you booked your charter service yet?

if hunting that long you need to be worried about meat spoiling.

you will need to portage at the kink, will take you sometime to do that during low water levels.

While I havent hunted 40 mile, many of the same principals apply. 12-15 days is a stretch depending on early success. Have you pinned down a time frame? Species?

#1 I'd be on the phone with an air charter for that area.

For 40 Mile Air - Bookings for 1st time flyers stater 2 weeks ago and spots move quick.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i would also pay close attention to the game management forum this spring regarding the 4o mile caribou herd as there are likely to be seaon changes up and coming next fall...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i would also pay close attention to the game management forum this spring regarding the 4o mile caribou herd as there are likely to be seaon changes up and coming next fall...
    Vince, I may be wrong but from what I've read, most changes will effect road hunters. May be different for floaters.

Russp.....Not sure what you are looking to hunt, might want to cross reference your area to the regs, in some areas you cannot possess a moose and a caribou tag.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Vince, I may be wrong but from what I've read, most changes will effect road hunters. May be different for floaters.

Russp.....Not sure what you are looking to hunt, might want to cross reference your area to the regs, in some areas you cannot possess a moose and a caribou tag.
    the changes will affect Zones 1 and 3..the fly in zone 2 should not be affected..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks guys for the info. Yeah we have booked our charter with 40 mile we are planning on moose hunting I wanted to caribou hunt also but I can not posses both tags it appears. 12-15 days is if we aren't having any luck. If either of us gets something early in the hunt we will cut it short. I figure it's a 4-5 day float.

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    Thanks guys for the info. Yeah we have booked our charter with 40 mile we are planning on moose hunting I wanted to caribou hunt also but I can not posses both tags it appears. 12-15 days is if we aren't having any luck. If either of us gets something early in the hunt we will cut it short. I figure it's a 4-5 day float.
    90 mile stretch? I'd count on 9-10 days. 4-5 days would be solid floating in hopes of killing one on the river bank.

Yeah the 4-5 days is just floating time. That is if one of us already shot something to get the meat out. In that case we would not be hunting just floating.

I might be missing something, but why can't you possess both moose and bou tags?

Default Can't possess

both tags in Unit 20E. You can have a caribou OR a moose but not both. A management issue.

Default fishing the 40 mile

I've floated 40 mile several times and we always bring a collapsable fishing rod, we use small spoons and spinners, fish the deep pools and eddies for grayling, I have seen other larger fish (maybe char) but havent got them to bite yet. we usually catch and release so many fish its warn out by day two.

There was a pretty nice post around November with pictures of this float. I'll be darned if I can find it now, but maybe someone here can point you to it.

Jim Strutz has done this float; you might drop him a pm

mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay