Thread: Float hunting 40 mile

Default Float hunting 40 mile

Hi My name is Russ I'm new to this forum.
    My dad and I are planning our first float hunt for next year. We are going to float the 40 mile from Joseph to the Taylor highway. We are planning on 12-15 days to hunt it properly. We have a 15 foot raft for the two of us. How many river miles is this trip? It looks about 90 miles. I understand there is a portage at the Kink. How is the fishing? Is it worth bring a rod? How is the portage? Any advice from people who have done this trip or just general advice about float hunting would be appreciated as this is our first float hunt. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    Hi My name is Russ I'm new to this forum.
    My dad and I are planning our first float hunt for next year. We are going to float the 40 mile from Joseph to the Taylor highway. We are planning on 12-15 days to hunt it properly. We have a 15 foot raft for the two of us. How many river miles is this trip? It looks about 90 miles. I understand there is a portage at the Kink. How is the fishing? Is it worth bring a rod? How is the portage? Any advice from people who have done this trip or just general advice about float hunting would be appreciated as this is our first float hunt. Thank you.
    Can't help ya much, but you might want to jump on google earth to determine the mileage. Use the measurement tool to create a path that follows the course of the river.

Default Might Wish to Contact the BLM

http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en.html Fairbanks office should be able to help you out.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=54692 Past threads ont he subject as well.

Best of luck.

Mr. Strahan's book also covers it if I am not mistaken.

Blue Moose

Default Another good thread...and more

This one re: canoe float, relatively inexperienced boaters, good experienced responses, including posts by Jim Strutz and gulkana99701:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=forty+mile

Mike Strahan's book (Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers), as suggested, is prob your best reference. Karen Jettmar's book (The Alaska River Guide, 3rd ed) is also excellent. On the Middle and North Forks, she mentions Class III rapids (Bald Eagle Rapids, The Chute) and labels The Kink as Class V. Water levels make all the difference and are hard to predict I believe, but I think there's been a lot of snow this year (?). Portaging your meat around three rapids would add to the considerable work of a float trip. Looks though like you'd miss most of the river if you don't hunt until you're past the rapids. Good luck!

What kind of rafting have you done? Any wilderness floats? Are you both in good physical shape?

Yeah I'm planning on running the two class three rapids (talked with a friend who has done them and both are normally closer to class 2 in the fall as long as there is not a lot of rain) and portaging the Kink. I have not done any wilderness raft trips. (lots of wilderness hunting trips) I'm planning on doing a trip or 2 down the gulkana this summer and also lots of day trips down the kenai. Both my dad and I are in good physical shape. I figure 1 portage won't be that bad about a day of work I imagine. I'm going to pick up Micheal Strahan's book. Thank you for the information.

Default Done the South Fork twice

The whole river is not like a natural channel, It has and is currently being mined so much that there are no normal sand or gravel bars. There are many riffle sections and then flatter sections.

First year in the cataraft the flow was about 10,000 cfs and we ripped through there lickity split about 1.5 days. Next year flow was at 400 cfs and we did endless amounts of paddeling in the canoe and it took 2 days.

The water levels make all the difference in the world.

Default Don't go too fast

I have floated once. Shot a nice toklat grizzly bear. Saw lots of wolves and caribou too. Not too many moose. I would advise you to hunt the first 10-15 miles of the river for at least a few days before pressing on to cross the kink. The first 10-15 miles is the best moose habitat. We blew it and moved too fast through the moose country because we didn't want to have to portage all our gear and a moose through kink. The kink is about a 1/4 mile portage. Good grayling fishing just below the kink. Bring dry flies like mosquitos and black gnats. Also try spinners and wooly buggers. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the info. Should be a fun trip