Thread: Brown bear in 6A-C; need info

Default Brown bear in 6A-C; need info

If you have any knowledge of brown bear in GMU 6A-C, let me know anything you're willing to share. Densities, logistics, anything. I've never hunted below Hinch, but would like to. Thanks. PMs are fine, post here, or email me at jolinak@gci.net.

Good population of Brown bear; relatively easy hunting access off the road system in the fall out of Cordova in 6-C. Be prepared for wet, windy weather and getting stranded for several days if flying down to hunt 6A & B. Good air taxis out of Cordova- Cordova Air & Wilderness Air. Bring a sat phone if flying out.

Default thanks

Ground: Thanks. That sounds like Hinch, and that whole area. You don't grow ferns in the desert! Have the sat phone; very handy item. Ever taken the road all the way into 13? Does it go up higher at all, or is it still near sea level?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    Ground: Thanks. That sounds like Hinch, and that whole area. You don't grow ferns in the desert! Have the sat phone; very handy item. Ever taken the road all the way into 13? Does it go up higher at all, or is it still near sea level?
    You mean the richardson highway that goes all the way to fairbanks?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Once you cross the bridge, the "road" is basically gone- access is quite limited, as most of the lower country is privately owned Native Corp lands- there are " marked" easement trails to Forest Service public lands in the high country every few miles, pretty tough going. There is some pretty nice hunting on the slides west of the river and in between the 27 mile bridge and million dollar bridge- all Forest Service public lands.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post
    Once you cross the bridge, the "road" is basically gone- access is quite limited, as most of the lower country is privately owned Native Corp lands- there are " marked" easement trails to Forest Service public lands in the high country every few miles, pretty tough going. There is some pretty nice hunting on the slides west of the river and in between the 27 mile bridge and million dollar bridge- all Forest Service public lands.
    ah yeah the road out of cordova,we have run that in the winter... from valdez, a couple cabin relics left from the R/R era, the million dollar bridge was no longer passable when i was there last in 01, portions of the R/R bed and road appear along side the river, that has reclaimed most of it..

the first 26 miles is heavily brushed and open areas with plenty of river crossings along the way, seems like at one point there was a bridge every few hundred yards....

hitchenbrook would in fact be the better choice.. in fact one of the newest world record bears came from hitchenbrook ... 01 or 02...nearly 11 foot if i recall correctly.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default roger that.

Thanks again. I guess I will just have to go down there sometime and do a fly-by. It sounds doable, but will take some experience and studying. On Hinch: I got a small one there 3 yrs back, so I can't go there till next yr. I missed King Kong 3 hrs before I took the one I did. I grossly misjudged the distance, and lobbed 400 grains near his feet. I could have puked. My partner told me not to buy a range finder, as he had one. Too bad it was on the boat when we stalked KK. I own one now, fwiw.... j

I always try and get to @ 100 yrds + on big brownies; unit 6 ALWAYS has lots of close cover for bears to get into. Most of our fall shots are 40-80 yards; sometimes we'll stretch it out to maybe 180 yrds in the spring if catching them out crossing slides- my working theory is get close and blow the stuffings out of them.

Default yep

I think 100 to 150 yrds, from what I hear/read/figure, is about it for big bore rifles lobbing large leads at large bodies. In the case of KK, he came out into a grass flat and was moving, it was toward the end of the hunt, I was prone, and confident that I'd be OK w/ a broadside shot. That is my excuse list, anyway. Maybe I just lost my marbles temporarily and threw caution to the wind. I don't even recall holding over him a tad, just in case. Either way, both of us are smarter now. I had my scope on one just as big near Sitka, maybe 50 yrds out. He sort of filled the scope; 12 hrs before the season opened. Him, I had dead to rights. I'll call the pilots down there and see what gives. I'll need a different partner if I go there; my usual buddy got a griz last fall, so he is out unless we go to 16B again. I have not had great success over there; that's another story.