Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaskan Wolf called-Pictures Included

Default Alaskan Wolf called-Pictures Included

Yesterday was one of those days that almost didnt happen for predator hunting. Sun wasn't due to be up before 9:45 and when I stuck my head outside to check for weather conditions, I was greeted with a frosty chill that was working with a slight wind. My original plan included a 30 mile journey down the local pipeline road via my quad. When I went out to the garage to load her up, the back left tire was flat and no hopes of a return. I put my thinking cap on and decided to hit the refuge that contained a series of lakes. This area would provide lots of open space for filming.
    On my way to my first stand, the ice gave way and my left foot broke through the ice. My left boot filled with quickly with the refreshing crystal clear Alaskan water. Not a good start at all. Suffer and be strong! I worked my way to an area that provided a good shooting lane. I ran the FoxPro 50 yards out. I stayed on this stand for 30 minutes. No takers.
    After amking my way back to the truck and drying my left boot out, I decided to hit a series of lakes I knew well from bear hunting. I stopped at the end of a three tier lake. If it was summer, you could canoe from one end to the other totally about 2.5 miles total distance. A long distance to call? Absolutely!
    I setup at the end of the third lake and I put the FoxPro Prarie Blaster out 60 yards directly in front of me. I started the decoy in motion and began the sound sequence for about 5 minutes. I was in an area that I had seen several lynx tracks in so I was hoping for a cat to show itself. At the 10 minute mark, I had several crows and one bald eagle dancing 40 yards up above the FoxPro. Time passed quickly and I happened to look at my remote and it read 20 minutes of play time.
    A few seconds later, I looked to my right and I saw movement coming from the break area between the second and third lake. It was dark, heavy, and moving with direct intent. I began powering the down the volume on the FoxPro. Yes, my dream of calling an Alaskan wolf had finally come true. As he broke towards the FoxPro, I fired up the video camera(yes, this was a one man show). The wolf quickly looked up and eyed the crows and eagle still playing above the caller. His run continued, but from the looks of him, I believed he had been coming from a long distance. As he got closer to the FoxPro I readied my gun while still trying to move the camera. When he got 25 yards from the Prarie Blaster I decided it was "go time". I let go of the camera and focused on the wolf. I had a hard time slowing him down for a shot. I hit my hand squeeker I had on the front end of my gun stock. Four shots range out from my .223. He never flinched or jerked. Quickly, he faded into the trees on the opposite side of the lake.
    I sat there for a minute and gathered myself. I knew I saw a solid target in my mind and I played back the events that had just unfolded. Why didnt he go down I asked myself. I shut the camera down, reloaded my gun and headed across the lake. Once I broke into the tree line, I found the answer I was looking for, blood! He went about 35 yards up into the trees where I found him. He was a large pup wolf that weighed 90 pounds.
    Last edited by Brian M; 12-29-2009 at 20:28.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

way cool!!! way cool indeed!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Congrats, sounds like a great day.

Default Nice!!

That will be hard to beat for your first post. Nice Job,Congrats
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thumbs up

Good Wolf.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Great job Loren! Thanks for the story and photo.

Sounds like a fun hunt, but it sure reads like an advertisement.

Great write-up!! Thanks for sharing!
    EricL

Default 90 lb. PUP?

I'd like to find his Mommy and daddy!

Nice Post............nice photo, thanks

Smile

Exciting story!! That will be an exciting video. I just watched one on sheep hunting and it was good, but not enough details about the hunt and too much focus on the kill. I would suggest including scenery, tracking, planning or even some unsuccessful trips to help convey the experience......
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

nice looking dog.Good job.

Default How exciting is that?

So very very cool. I am so jazzed, and I only read about it. I can't imagine the heartbeats per second when you saw that wolf. WOW!!!!
    And then you got to carry him 2.5 miles? CRAZY!!!
    What more can you tell us? It sounds like you are in the interior? Did this just happen this weekend with the windy conditions?
    All that info is just bonus. You gave us the heart of the story. Congrats, but I still get to be a bit jealous. In a happy way.

Thumbs up

Wolves are very photogenic when they are posing like that. I think you will do well on selling the video. Hopefully you will be able to make a series of the videos. If there is a pack in the neighborhood, you might be able to pick them off one by one. Good luck.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Agreed, that is a nice first post that will be hard to top. Well done dog. Although I do know a member here that scored a wolf on his first stand on his first predator calling attemp ever last season. Fifteen minutes of calling and he had a wolf. That is a hunt that is hard to top.

That is very cool desert dog. Good job.
    If you don't mind me asking, how difficult and how expensive is it to get the permits for commercial video in AK. I'm planning on looking into it for some ideas I have, but would appreciate a little info. Thanks.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Thats a big pup wolf for 90lbs. WELL DONE!!

Nice.
    2-1/2 miles is a long walk.
    I skin 'em right away,its cleaner and easier when their warm, unless I get quite a few, depending on time and conditions.

Just howling can be VERY effective and loads of fun.

Good job.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how difficult and how expensive is it to get the permits for commercial video in AK.
    Buck Nelson didn't need comm. permits to shoot a comm. video in a NWR, a Nat. Park, and a Nat. Preserve in the Brooks Range. Why should this guy?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Sweet!

It must have been awesome watching him come in to the call and decoy setup. I was lucky enough to call in a wolf last February with a very inexpensive electonic call. I could not believe it when a wolf showed up.

So what are the taxidermy plans?

Congrat's!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast