Thread: rear shock and act gear oil?

Default rear shock and act gear oil?

I have an 06 m7. Had the shock rebuilt last winter...this winter the dang thing is completely flat.

Should I have them redo it? maybe add a heavier spring (my shape woudl be considered ROUND LOL). I'm not sure why it bled off...the sled is garage kept year round. When it was rebuilt the sled bounced side to side and was a pretty stiff ride...was nice in powder and carving but really STUNK on the bumps! Any tips or links here would be great.

And do yall change your act gear oil every year? how often should a person replace it? Any tricks to this I've noticed the drain plug is in a pain in the butt spot to access?!?! I have to 06 ac's and I figure it wouldnt hurt to change it lol. Dunno when the last time they were done honestly (bought both sleds used and i know the guy took great care of both of them). One sled I've rode very very litte...the m7 I've put on oh 700 miles or so in the last couple years. Not a ton I know.

Your Diamond Drive(ACT) oil needs to be changed at least annually. If you think the drain is a pain wait till you see where the fill is at.

If you you would like an extra hand let me know.

Not sure about your shock problem......actually may be a spring problem. If the shock has bled down the seals are shot.

Ya I thought I saw the fill plug, wasnt 100%...guess that'll give me something to do (and hopefully not screw up LOL) this weekend.

I had the shock recharged last winter...actually in March. I'm planning on ripping that apart this weekend and taking it in again. Thought about getting it revalved, kinda pricey for what it is and how much I ride though.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Ya I thought I saw the fill plug, wasnt 100%...guess that'll give me something to do (and hopefully not screw up LOL) this weekend.

I had the shock recharged last winter...actually in March. I'm planning on ripping that apart this weekend and taking it in again. Thought about getting it revalved, kinda pricey for what it is and how much I ride though.

See Dave in service at Team CC in Eagle River about your shock. Very knowledgable. May be able to get you fixed up.

You need to pull the secondary off to get to the fill plug. Are you refilling with Diamond Drive oil? I run Amsoil 15w-40 Marine/Diesel oil, a full syntethic oil.

John, believe it or not, I'm still alive and need to do that seal swap on the diamond drive....

Hopefully life will allow me some wrench time on the firecat...

Anytime always ready to help wrench. Also got a new ride deliveried the week before Christmas and looking to do a track change and studs here soon.

Do you get the rest of the pieces parts?

I think so....have some, the others should be in soon

Braces, axles, hyfax, diamond drive seal kit, clutch tool, etc...

I've never messed with the act oil yet. Was hoping it was something I could do myself easily enough. So for now I was planning on using the regular act oil from cat.

any tips tricks or hints on this procedure would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    I've never messed with the act oil yet. Was hoping it was something I could do myself easily enough. So for now I was planning on using the regular act oil from cat.

any tips tricks or hints on this procedure would be awesome!

Lots of rags to wipe up the stuff that misses the pan. A sled lift makes things easier. A long funnel helps for the refill or a regular funnel with a hose will work. It is just a drain and refill operation.

Use a clean pan that you can inspect the oil. If you see a large amount of metal debris recommend flushing the case. Then at the end of the season consider removing the drive for a complete disassemble and complete cleanout.

Have you had the belt off yet? Probably the hardest part of the job.

yup, I have pulled belts, usually replace them every year.