Thread: M1 carbine fouls up.....help

Default M1 carbine fouls up.....help

I recently got a CMP M1 carbine, 1943 Inland. The ejected Aguilla brass comes out sooty and filthy. I cleaned it and tried Remington ammo and the same thing and the action also gets dirty and sooty. Is this normal or is there a problem? The brass isn't damaged. What should I look for? the piston??
    Thanks

Default Most likely...

Your ammo is just 'dirty'. The only loaded ammunition that I've used in mine that wasn't sooty was some Lake City 53 GI from the Korean War era.
    If you reload, H110, 2400, and WW 296 all three 'made' for the carbine round, burn dirty. Murphy said he'd been using N110 with good results, higher velocity and less filth.
    Most of the time, sooty cases would indicate inadequate sealing due to low pressure or 'hard' brass. Both could be a culprit here, and along with the powder characteristics, you end up with a mess.
    Honestly, with all three of my carbines, (two Inlands and a Winchester), the problem is the same. I just shoot 'em till they quit functioning, and it hasn't happened yet!
    I wouldn't look for problems with the rifle just yet.

Default carbine

Seems to be the same opinion in all posts. Thanks. I am looking for a good hand load for plinking.

Also, it still shoots high with the rear sight all the way down.

Default Interesting but probably unrelated...

Yesterday, I was reading on the Benelli forums about gas piston probs (interesting thread started by stid2677) on the R1 rifle. Owners of Browning and M1's also posted. Fouling and binding/jamming were the problems people noticed, but corrosion caused by hot combustion gases/powder residue were the apparent causes. Most owners who reported problems got their first clues about a corrosion problem when they experienced feeding/ejection problems, not just fouling.

The M1 owner did talk about his belief that regular attention to the gas piston was important - post #28 at this link:
    http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14472

Not sure this relates to your rifle at all. If not, just disregard, but I thought it was interesting. Good luck.

Generally it is not advisable to disassemble the piston on an M-1 carbine. The piston nut, (retainer), is staked in and you run the risk of damaging the gas cylinder by attempting to remove it. The cylinder and piston assembly on a carbine are far enough to the rear on the barrel that it is unlikely that you will ever get enough fouling to stop it from working. The gases are too hot at this point. Read any of the books on M-1 carbines, like Larry Ruth's, and this is fully explained. Malfunctions are typically ammo related, although a dry gun with no lube can be a little cranky. The recoil spring, slide assy friction points, operating slide cam, and bolt lugs should all be lightly lubricated. I prefer lubriplate grease. Fouling in the action area is not uncommon, just clean it after you fire it. Any GI who depended on the carbine for his life cleaned it regularly or whenever he got a chance. W-296 is the powder most recommended for the service duplication load. The CMP website has a fairly detailed section on handloading for the carbine. Good luck!
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Default dirty

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    I recently got a CMP M1 carbine, 1943 Inland. The ejected Aguilla brass comes out sooty and filthy. I cleaned it and tried Remington ammo and the same thing and the action also gets dirty and sooty. Is this normal or is there a problem? The brass isn't damaged. What should I look for? the piston??
    Thanks
    they all seem to smudge the cases to a varying degree, in my experience with a bout a dozen of them and various ammo

interesting enough the fake LC52 from China ( with berdan primers) shot about the cleanest

Man I got my M1(M-2) back in the 60's from DCM for a grand total of 28.00. Since it arrived at the house I've only shot my own home cast 110 grain round nose bullets and 2400 powder. I have never found a problem in the carbine in many thousands of rounds with 2400 powder. By the way, cast bullets give you higher velocities than any jacketed bullets in the .30 carbine. Kills caribou so easy it like the rile was made for that purpose.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Win 296 fixed fouling

I reloaded the Augilla brass with Win 296 and it is much cleaner with better groups. Now, I have to deal with it shooting 12 inches high all the way out to 100 yds.

Default Foot high?

If this was my gun and I could not get it any closer than 12"s high at 100 yards, I would be contacting CMP. Maybe someone else has a solution but I suspect something is wrong. A phone call wouldn't hurt anything.

Default Cast bullets in M2

I used to shoot a lot of cast bullets in my DCM carbine with my legal M2 kit installed. I used both the 3118, 311359, and the heavier pointed bullet 311410 with H110 or 296.

Eventually the gas port chamber would foul solid with lead particles and I would have to pull the plug and remove all the mass of carbon and lead. Never had any real problem with doing that with the issue GI tool.

Al - is your DCM carbine actually stamped "M 2"? I've seen a few of them around over the years. If I recall most were Springfields of Korean War vintage. Springfield also made some 50's dated barrel I've seen for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Man I got my M1(M-2) back in the 60's from DCM for a grand total of 28.00. Since it arrived at the house I've only shot my own home cast 110 grain round nose bullets and 2400 powder. I have never found a problem in the carbine in many thousands of rounds with 2400 powder. By the way, cast bullets give you higher velocities than any jacketed bullets in the .30 carbine. Kills caribou so easy it like the rile was made for that purpose.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK