Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Great find!

  1. #1
    Member goaty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Delta Jct.
    Posts
    307

    Default Great find!

    Last Saturday I was taking the family sledding and I passed what I thought looked like a lynx laying on the side of the road, but it was slightly covered with snow and I couldn't tell for sure at 55 mph. So I told my son to remind me to look on the way back. But we went back a different way and I didn't think much more about it. Today I was going caribou hunting with my daughter and passed it again, this time with a little more snow on it but I still thought it looked like a lynx, so on our way back, (after my daughter shot her 1st two caribou ever) we passed it again, so we stopped and sure enough, it was a roadkill lynx. As far as I can tell, it is in perfect condition. It looks like it got hit in the head. There was no bird crap on it and it didn't look like it had been pecked at all. After it thaws, I'll be able to tell more on the condition. I was sure glad it was still there after passing it up 3 time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 019.jpg  

  2. #2

    Default

    Looks nice sized too.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,488

    Default

    Nice sized and looks to have great color. Cool find!

  4. #4
    Member ironartist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    nice find, my best was a fresh road kill coyote in downtown Wasilla
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

  5. #5

    Wink

    You better turn it in to the Troopers and right now. They will issue you three or four tickets for trying to keep it. It and all road kills belong to the state. It's in the regs. Fact is they are likely expecting you to drop in soon, after reading this.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    552

    Default

    I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to throw that out. I guess in all honesty we are all obligated to inform people of the laws. I just don't want to be the party pooper.
    I know that if I found it, I would have kept it but I would not tell anyone:-)

    Can you get some type of permit to keep something like that?

  7. #7

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to throw that out. I guess in all honesty we are all obligated to inform people of the laws. I just don't want to be the party pooper.
    I know that if I found it, I would have kept it but I would not tell anyone:-)

    Can you get some type of permit to keep something like that?
    I have not heard of a permit being available to do so. They also don't like them skinned out, because they want the body parts for study and dna testing. Better off, calling the bios in your area and see if they want it, before you stop and pick it up. Sometimes they would just as soon you left it in the bar ditch. But some fur and bears brings them some cash at the auction barn, so that helps them and they will have you bring it in.

    As far as being obligated to inform others about this kind of stuff, I think this is what this forum does best.

    Seriously though, everyone should read the regs, especially if they have kids and such that depend on them to be able to go to work to support them. They owe it to their kids.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member Huntress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there.....
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Goaty,
    We were in your shoes last year. I picked up a road kill fox and posted a "funny" about it being killed by Goodyear.
    Alas, it was illegal for us to keep it and it was turned over immediately. The FW trooper then released it to us to do as we see fit. At least protect yourself and let the troopers in Delta know you have it and see what they want done with it. The trooper we dealt with didn't have the time to deal with a dead fox but we were commended for being honest.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

  9. #9
    Member goaty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Delta Jct.
    Posts
    307

    Default good info

    Thanks for the info everyone. I knew it was that way with roadkill big game, but didn't realize it for small game/ fur bearers. I'll call the troopers. Hopefully they'll let me keep it like Huntress' encounter.

  10. #10
    Member ironartist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    Game animals I believe are all you have to report, remember the trapper that found the 2 wolves laying on the trail, they turned out to be sedatited animals from bio testing. As long as it's season and you have a trapping license they are a harvested fur. Let us know what you find out
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

  11. #11
    Member Huntress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there.....
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Iron,

    We were told that ALL road kill was to be turned in. Even the trooper we spoke to told us that it wasn't just big game. That includes all fur bearers. We did however learn that it was up to the discretion of the trooper as to what to do with it. Goaty please do let us know what you find out. It may be one of those "situational" things...and what kind of mood the person you deal with is in....haha.....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

  12. #12
    Member AlaskaTrueAdventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Paradise (Alaska)
    Posts
    1,543

    Question pls do...

    goady,
    Please do tell us what your state trooper advises...

    Thanks for helping all of us get educated on this procedure...

    dennis

  13. #13
    Member HuntNBgame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    495

    Default Good Luck

    Hope it works out in your favor.If not you'll have to add it to your list. Either way nice find!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  14. #14
    Member Steve_O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Delta Junction, AK
    Posts
    168

    Cool Good eyes.

    better than the road kill moose I was called to salvage. She was evidently hit by a BIG truck and she was busted up pretty bad. Goaty, good eye for even spotting the thing. When we going squealing?

  15. #15
    Member Huntress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there.....
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Steve-O, I saw two this morning within 5 miles of eachother on the Parks, both looked like great trapping bait to me
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

  16. #16

    Smile

    Goaty, please don't do it, don't move, and don't look now! There is one big azz brown bear that has snuck up behind you, your worries about the lynx will soon be gone, your toast!

  17. #17
    Member goaty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Delta Jct.
    Posts
    307

    Default Good News

    I called the trooper and told him that I trap, had a current trapping license, and asked if I could keep it and get it sealed with the rest of my fur, he said pretty much what Huntress' trooper said, and said I could keep it so he didn't have to mess with it. He said that on "method and means" section, to put "other." He did hesitate for a bit though. I'm glad it all worked out.

    Jpost, not to worry, I saw that brown bear at the last moment and gave it a judo chop to the side of the neck and it went straight down. I think I'll get it mounted and put it in my entry way.

  18. #18

    Thumbs up

    Good deal.

    Did you happen to get his name? I am very much interested to learn it. Thanks
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Haha I noticed the monstrous brownie behind you before I noticed the lynx! Would love to hear the story behind that fellow. That's for another thread I'm sure!

  20. #20
    Member Huntress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there.....
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    goaty, Im glad it all worked out.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •