Thread: rabbit hides

Default rabbit hides

im fairly new to rabbit hunting and id like to take more then just the meat. how do you care for and tan a rabbit hide?

hap

AK rabbit hides are much thinner than domestic rabbits and frankly, not worth messing with.

Be real careful then when you rip the hide anyway buy one, they are cheap.

I have tanned a few that turned out fine. Be careful skinning as the hide is thin. I bought a $20 kit from Cabelas and followed the instructions and they came out fine.

Tanned rabbit skins are worth buying down at Black Elk. Have your wife sew them into your coat pockets. You will not find a better hand warmer. They will spoil you.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Tanned rabbit skins are worth buying down at Black Elk. Have your wife sew them into your coat pockets. You will not find a better hand warmer. They will spoil you.
    Probably a stupid question, but do you sew them with the hair side in or out?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Popo View Post
    so you feel the hair with hands in pockets...

i used to use them as insole in my mukluks... very nice....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Popo

so you feel the hair with hands in pockets...
    i used to use them as insole in my mukluks... very nice....

THANK'S!

Hair out. For mukluks (beluhucks) I used dried long grass, they insulate and wick away moisture, cheap to replace everyday you wear your snow boots. You can gather a winters supply in a day for nothing.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson