Thread: crazy caribou hunting

Default crazy caribou hunting

has anyone had the stones to go hunt caribou in january on the haul road
    and lived to tell about it if so lets hear some survival stories

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by fish slayer View Post
    has anyone had the stones to go hunt caribou in january on the haul road
    and lived to tell about it if so lets hear some survival stories
    well most caribou have left the area as the sun set some time back and wont show up again for another 6 + weeks....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

has anyone knows the driving condition on the haul road and anyone has seen a caribou at this time? pls let me know, because, Im planing to drive to the haul road for a caribou

Like Vince was saying in his post... once you are that far north the lack of daylight makes it virtually pointless to archery hunt caribou this time of year.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akboyhunter View Post
    has anyone knows the driving condition on the haul road and anyone has seen a caribou at this time? pls let me know, because, Im planing to drive to the haul road for a caribou

Road condtions... Snow, covered with snow and ice... polished by high winds... and more snow. with occasional patches of sand from trucks, however most often that sand is airborne due to afore mentioned highwinds... but thats okay as you can't see the flying sand in the dark...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

think the sun will finally rise end of next month , just few hrs of dusk now. could go up when full moon and hunt by that.
    wait until mid april still blizzards and -20 but 12+ HRS OF DAYLIGHT.
    Last edited by AK NIMROD; 12-29-2009 at 10:43. Reason: added words
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

As others have stated it's too dang dark right now. I'll be doing my first Caribou hunt of the year in March, even then I'm not expecting a ton of action and will be driving out to my friend in Nuiqsut's place so I have the option of using a rifle.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

(SHHHHHHHHHH! someone has to go there to be able to report on it... lets leave salient facts like daylight hours out of this.) Fishslayer, ya only need to remember one thing: "ALASKA- Land of the Midnight Sun"
    Let us know how it goes!

January and February are the only two months that I have not taken a caribou, so I eventually plan to try it. I'm all tagged out this year, so it'll have to wait as I can't get an archery proxy this year.

We did it once in October. Both of us got caribou off the road about 100 yards. However, the ice on the road got us, although we were not going more than about 25. $4800 tow bill and $1800 to fix the truck. Thank goodness for tow coverage.

Default caribou

We went 2 years ago in december. shot my caribou at -36-39 below. We drug to road and took across pass to field dress in -20 below weather. Can be good hunting, but is colder than hell at night. Caribou were spooky when we went and were hard to stalk

Did it in December about five years ago. Slept in the tent on the first night (-40), but the wood stove was stoked to the point that the pipe was glowing and it almost got up to 10 in there. Woke up and couldnt open my eyes till I got the frost off the lashes, so the rest of the trip was spent in the truck. You will have a few hours of daylight to try and find some animals, then you will sit in the truck cramped up in the dark for 20+ hours. Then when your done being misserable once again risk your life driving back in the worst conditions I had ever been in, now add ice covered roads. Complete white outs and 70+ mile an hour winds trying to push the truck off the road and nearly did a few times. It's AWESOME!!!

PS: I will never even consider it again.
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

My truck just ate the march caribou hunt budget!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Agh..... I feel for ya there. Times are lean. Lets hope everyone at least gets lucky in the draws

has been -35 to -45 with windchill to -65 up here
    sun finally showed up this past week first time since nov.
    YEP PERFECT CONDITIONS TO BOWHUNT!
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    What happened to the rig? Or did you just try and fill it up with fuel all at once and nearly have a heart attack?