Thread: Ruger Alaskan shooting way low

Default Ruger Alaskan shooting way low

I figured someone on around this place would know what I have going on. I have a Alaskan (375Ruger) that shot ~3 inches low at 50 yd with open sights. Got a new rear leaf from ruger and fixed it. Pretty impressive groups especially for open sights. Was happy. (I think this may be some indicator of my problem. Ruger said I should not have needed another leaf for the sight. He found it odd.)

THE REAL ISSUE: Put a Leupold VX3 1.75-6 on it and go to the range last night and ran out of "up" on the scope. IE the rifle shoots 3" low at 25yds and the scope is out of adjustment.
    Mounts are installed correctly and tight (aftermarket qd mounts).....produces very tight groups so nothing is loose.

-I need to stay with qd mounts of some kind. The guys at Talley (unfortunately they don't make ruger rings!) think its a gun issue. He said send it back. Are there any good "in town" (preferrably ER or valley) shops that may work this? I hate to just send it off without a clue.

I thought about putting the factory Ruger rings on and seeing what the scope does then. Is there anything I can look at on the rifle that would make it do this, however?
    ANY inputs?

-The stock isn't pressuring the barrel.
    -Nothing else obvious.

Thanks
    Kevin

Default Ideas for the Low Shooter

It sounds like the threads for the barrel may have been cut at an angle to the action. Depending on how the process is done, a metal cutting in the wrong place could possibly misalign the action to the cutting machine (just an example). I think your best bet is to let Ruger sort it out for you. They are known for quick turn-around and good customer service. It's not too much of a hassle to ship a rifle.

Just for curiosity, you might take the action out of the stock and very carefully inspect the intersection between the action and the barrel. If any misalignment is apparent, it might prove visible there. Still, the fix is to send it to Ruger.

One more note--my friend recently bought the same rifle, and it shot erratically after the first time he removed the action from the stock. We noted that the action screws were very tight when we took it apart. He got good fitting screwdriver bits and really tightened the screws down hard, and it settled right back down and shoots real well.

Best Regards,
    Jim

Keep us posted on what goes on with this. My buddy has been having problems with his shooting low as well so I am very interested in what you find.

Try you Ruger factory rings before you do anything else.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Pull the trigger harder?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Try your Ruger factory rings first. I almost guarantee that is what Ruger is going to do when you send if back. If it shoots fine with their rings you are going to get the rifle back with them saying it shoots within their specs.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

after you try your factory supplied rings....make sure you keep the chamber ultra clean....i mean.....get in there with a brush that is the same diameter as the ruger case and clean up as if your life depended on it. do this after every firing.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    after you try your factory supplied rings....make sure you keep the chamber ultra clean....i mean.....get in there with a brush that is the same diameter as the ruger case and clean up as if your life depended on it. do this after every firing.
    mainer, how is your 375Ruger shooting or is it?
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default 375

Try the factory rings first. What kind of ammo are you shooting?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default update

Went back to the factory rings and it will adjust to zero. I am still using most of the adjustment the vx-III has to offer. I guess I can't be picky though.
    Groups very tight with factory 270 grain ammo. Used 300gr to zero the open sights. Very tight as well. When I get the hardware all figured out, plan to work up some barnes loads.

I really want to have a qd setup. Maybe one more set of rings? Any suggestions? The ones I used were Warne mediums. Can probably use lows. Any other manufacturer of qd's worth trying?
    1. Talley don't make ruger rings.
    2. Heard bad things about Leupold qd's
    3. ?????

Thanks for the input fellas. I am in less of a pickle than I thought.
    Kevin

Default mainer

I remember reading your dilemma with one.
    My chamber is not even close to feeding tight. It doesn't seem any worse than any other rifle I own. None of those issues but I am watching for it after reading your posts earlier. Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    I really want to have a qd setup. Maybe one more set of rings? Any suggestions? The ones I used were Warne mediums. Can probably use lows. Any other manufacturer of qd's worth trying?
    1. Talley don't make ruger rings.
    2. Heard bad things about Leupold qd's
    3. ?????

Thanks for the input fellas. I am in less of a pickle than I thought.
    Kevin
    I use the Ruger rings as detachable rings for my Ruger rifles. I took a full size Craftsmen screwdriver with a short blade and ground the bit to perfectly fit the Ruger rings. The screwdriver weighs less than 4 oz and works like a dream and all you have to do is slide it into a small pocket on your day pack and you are ready to go. Repeatability (return to zero) is better than any detachable I've used on my other rifles, though to be fair I do not have a "claw" type mount. I realize that I can't take the scope off in an instant, but I can take it off very fast and it is more secure than lever type QDs IMO; not too mention that there is no additional cost to your present setup.

Default Send it back for a check-up

It sounds like there is some problem with the gun, I would send it back to Ruger and have them check it out. It is a pretty easy process and you don't need to deal with an FFL to send or receive it.

You could always shim the bases as well. A few thousandths in the rear ring should do it and get your scope adjustments more centered.

I usually end up using the Ruger rings. They are well built and there are (almost) always a number of handy items that you could use in a pinch to take them on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I use the Ruger rings as detachable rings for my Ruger rifles. I took a full size Craftsmen screwdriver with a short blade and ground the bit to perfectly fit the Ruger rings. The screwdriver weighs less than 4 oz and works like a dream and all you have to do is slide it into a small pocket on your day pack and you are ready to go.
    I went this route as well except I use a 50 cent coin as my driver lever...it's pretty slick. I originally tried the Warne QD rings but they caused some problems with the power selector on my Leupold VXII 2x7.

You need M77 rings if your not using them. The Ruger #1 rings are equal length and the M77 rings are offset. It matters which one is in front, they are different length.

Default installation

Correct rings, installed correctly.

Gonna try another set of Warnes. See if low rings mount the scope any better. If it doesn't work, the Rugers will do as you guys suggested. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    mainer, how is your 375Ruger shooting or is it?
    I own a cz 550 full stocked carbine chambered for 9.3X62 mauser. Although the 375 was moderately interesting and built "Ruger Tough".......I didn't have a use for it so I traded it off (after a clean bill of health from me). There is one happy gentleman who probably adores it because I couldnt. The 9.3 mauser has a decorated past putting down every animal in Africa.....and it also fits a standard length bolt, and what can I say.......The stock and rifle looks far more striking in appearance (to me) than that ruger Alaskan does.

AK-HUNT.....Just remember that this cartridge is both high pressure, and almost no case taper. That massive cartridge has some surface area.....and they are very intolerant to dirty chambers. Just a first hand warning so that you NEVER have a problem when you take to the woods......because hopefully you will have a mirror bright chamber every time and never put her back in the gun vault with a dirty chamber.....good luck.

Unhappy Same problem

Hey, AK-HUNT, did you ever get this resolved. What did you do or what came of it?

I have the same problem right now. Frustrating!

Thx