Thread: reworked S&W.model 460 revolver to fire 4-diff cals

Default reworked S&W.model 460 revolver to fire 4-diff cals

my friend e-mail me today and told me to look at the T.K..custom website they have new -4-caliber full moon clip conversion in the following calibers..-x-460-454 casull -45.l.c.-45.acp cal .. the thing he was telling me he sending his 460 revolver to tk custom to have the cylinder reworked to take the -4-caliber conversion set up ..

so what i do thing of the whole conversion of the cylinder to fire the the 4-calibers does it make sense or is it just a waste of money to have it done ..i was looking at the getting a new revolver as Xmas gift to myself and was wondering about the 460 revolver for short range handgun hunting weapon in the near future

Default .45 ACP in .460

I had heard the story of shooting .45 ACPs in the .460 in the past but it is obvious that there was not enough clearance for the old 1917 style clips. I just got out my feeler gages and it appears however that a "half" moon clips of around .018 to .020 inch thickness would work just fine and if of good steel it should hold the round against the clinder face firmly enought for the gun to fire reliabably. The exact configuration may be kinda of odd - I'm thinking about a 5 round clip with a solid outer diameter matching that of the clylinder and "U" slots cut into it from the inside to hold the grooves of the rounds. The center would be cut away of course to clear the ratchet in the center of the cylinder.

Of course if you can shoot .45 ACP you could also shoot the .460 Rowland, and the .45 Magnum so it would be kinda neat.

For a single action and double actions with recessed cylinders it wouldn't work of course but I wonder why it hasn't been done before with other .45 Colt revolvers - there have to be quite a few that don't have recessed cylinders.

Anybody got any more info or thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    my friend e-mail me today and told me to look at the T.K..custom website they have new -4-caliber full moon clip conversion in the following calibers..-x-460-454 casull -45.l.c.-45.acp cal .. the thing he was telling me he sending his 460 revolver to tk custom to have the cylinder reworked to take the -4-caliber conversion set up ..

so what i do thing of the whole conversion of the cylinder to fire the the 4-calibers does it make sense or is it just a waste of money to have it done ..i was looking at the getting a new revolver as Xmas gift to myself and was wondering about the 460 revolver for short range handgun hunting weapon in the near future
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Why even mess with it as each different caliber would require you to resight in the revolver.
    There is no good reason to shoot 45 acp's out of a 460. If you want an inexpensive plinking load for your 460 just use some cast bullets and reduced powder charges.

If you must shoot .45's buy a used 45.
    Tennessee

Ya I agree with Snowwolfe. I load a 200gr SWC (45 acp bullet) in 45 Colt brass with 8gr Unique and shooting them in either my 4" Redhawk or 7.5 inch SBH they are like shooting my 38. Nice easy plinkin round. In a big heavy 460v it'd be like shootin a 22.

Default Why

Like many thing there isn't a real practical reason but more of a "what if.." and "can it be done." I guess the best practical reason is just to have the ability for backup and perhaps shoot up some .45 ACP rounds you have loaded too hot.

For a heavy recoiling gun like the .460 the point of impact is going to change going from full loads with heavy bullets to light cast loads like you suggest so the point of impact is going to change in any event.

If the .45 ACP loads were accurate enough - which I doubt - they may also work for small game.

Another possibility that just came to mind would be to make rimless cases out of .308 etc. brass. That may be a better bet than .45 ACP or using expensive .460 cases and you could make them long enough to place a light bullet futher out in the chamber for better accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Why even mess with it as each different caliber would require you to resight in the revolver.
    There is no good reason to shoot 45 acp's out of a 460. If you want an inexpensive plinking load for your 460 just use some cast bullets and reduced powder charges.

If you must shoot .45's buy a used 45.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    ...If the .45 ACP loads were accurate enough - which I doubt - they may also work for small game.

Another possibility that just came to mind would be to make rimless cases out of .308 etc. brass. That may be a better bet than .45 ACP or using expensive .460 cases and you could make them long enough to place a light bullet futher out in the chamber for better accuracy.
    200gr 45 acp bullet loaded in 45 Colt brass shot out of this SBH a couple days ago. I've got a friend with a 460. Maybe I can get him and it to the range one of these days and see how they shoot.

Like many thing there isn't a real practical reason but more of a "what if.." and "can it be done." I guess the best practical reason is just to have the ability for backup and perhaps shoot up some .45 ACP rounds you have loaded too hot.

For a heavy recoiling gun like the .460 the point of impact is going to change going from full loads with heavy bullets to light cast loads like you suggest so the point of impact is going to change in any event.

If the .45 ACP loads were accurate enough - which I doubt - they may also work for small game.

I have used 45acp in my 460 with half moons and it works fine, no need to mod the gun at all. I have looked for a star clip that will work but there are none out there that I have found . . . if you ever make your idea come to life I will buy some from ya.

Yes point of impact is low but having grown up on fixed sight single action and ammo a-la-cart it's a close range small game killer in my hand. It is very handy for me to be able to drop a little 45acp in my cannon and have more left of a bunny than a pile of bloody fur without packing a second gun. With the cylinder gap in the 460V venting gas they also lose almost 100fps from the speeds they make in a 45acp auto that has no gap, that also works in my favor for small game. Yes I do also down load some of my rimed ammo for it also but a round of 45acp is about the same money as a 45lc brass. In my case, since I don't load 45acp, I give my brother a pound of Bulseye and receive a thanks and 4-500 loaded 45acp back . . . that’s cheap shooting.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

here my thinking on the subect since iam the one who bought it up ..

one the 460 cal for big game animals like moose and bear county back up if need be

two the 454 casull for deer sized animals like deer

three the 45.acp round for loaded for medium sized game like small deer and pratice also

four the 45.long colt for pratice as need along with the 45.acp cal round

plus i want to get into handgun hunting and this way it i have four diff cals on one revolver without haveing to go out and spend extras money on the diff revolvers units

and as long as i stay when 100 yards for the big game and under 50 yards for the other game animals i take so i should do ok on the hunting with a handgun

Default Who made 'em?

Where did you get the "half moon clip"? Actually half moon clips hold three rounds so I don't know how yours were configured since a .460 holds 5 rounds.

My other thought is to use some "U" shaped clips for single cartridges. I may try that first since it will be easier to fabricate.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I have used 45acp in my 460 with half moons and it works fine, no need to mod the gun at all. I have looked for a star clip that will work but there are none out there that I have found . . . if you ever make your idea come to life I will buy some from ya.

Where did you get the "half moon clip"? Actually half moon clips hold three rounds so I don't know how yours were configured since a .460 holds 5 rounds.

My other thought is to use some "U" shaped clips for single cartridges. I may try that first since it will be easier to fabricate.
    Don't know who made them and they may be called a "C" or "U" clip for all I know. They snap over one round and form a rim that holds it in place in the cylinder. Got them from Midway but canít find them now that they changed the web site, canít find any of the single round clips on there at all now. I don't remember who they were made by and this is telling me I better start keeping close track of the 20 or so I have now. Smith has full moon clips for most of their guns but none for the 460. A full moon would be great I think but one at a time like I do is not bad either.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default "U" Clips

Sounds kinda what I had in mind to make up for trial use. I'll see if I can find them anywhere and if so post the source. Google searches so far have not been sucessfull.

The S&W forum may also be a good place to look for information - I'll check it out also.

I'm thinking we could also make some full length shotshells out of '06 cases and use with the same clips. Should be able to get a fair amount of small shot in the case. Win. 307 / .356 cases may also work although the rim is about .010 too thin.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Don't know who made them and they may be called a "C" or "U" clip for all I know. They snap over one round and form a rim that holds it in place in the cylinder. Got them from Midway but canít find them now that they changed the web site, canít find any of the single round clips on there at all now. I don't remember who they were made by and this is telling me I better start keeping close track of the 20 or so I have now. Smith has full moon clips for most of their guns but none for the 460. A full moon would be great I think but one at a time like I do is not bad either.

Sounds kinda what I had in mind to make up for trial use. I'll see if I can find them anywhere and if so post the source. Google searches so far have not been sucessfull.

The S&W forum may also be a good place to look for information - I'll check it out also.

I'm thinking we could also make some full length shotshells out of '06 cases and use with the same clips. Should be able to get a fair amount of small shot in the case. Win. 307 / .356 cases may also work although the rim is about .010 too thin.
    Hay, I like that shot idea! I wonder if could take an extra compensator and tap the ID for a long bushing that I could put 410 chokes in . . . a sort of quick detach choke assembly.

I'm sure those clips are on the Midway site some place they just are not lumped in with the moon clips like they were and my search words net nothing close. I looked at Smith and found nothing for the 460 but the custom center may have some info.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

so is it a good idea or throw the idea away and go with something normal like a t.c.encore typle pistol..the reason i the idea of the revolver set up is the faster second shot follow up if need be

Did anyone mention the .45 Auto Rim?
    Used to be .45acp cases were made with a rim to enable shooting without half-moon clips.

Guess you could also just trim down some .45 Colt brass. Maybe use a dremel cut off tool and an RCBS trim die? Seems like there used to also be a Lyman mold for .452 wadcutter.

Lots of ways to vary your performance. Might even try round ball shot.

Default Too thick

The .45 auto rim cartridge was developed to duplicate the .45 ACP in a half moon clip - the rim is much thicker than a normal .45 Colt rim or about any other pistol cartridge.

Our purpose is to shoot the .45 ACP in the .460 with no other modifications to the gun or ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by lester View Post
    Did anyone mention the .45 Auto Rim?
    Used to be .45acp cases were made with a rim to enable shooting without half-moon clips.

Guess you could also just trim down some .45 Colt brass. Maybe use a dremel cut off tool and an RCBS trim die? Seems like there used to also be a Lyman mold for .452 wadcutter.

Lots of ways to vary your performance. Might even try round ball shot.