Thread: Any Squidders here?

Talking Any Squidders here?

I used to commercially fish squid in Monterey Bay (purse seine). I have heard people say there are squid in PWS but I have yet to actually find someone who has caught any.

Has any one ever caught squid in PWS, preferable on the west side? Structure? depth? general areas?

We used to catch them on a pole also but it was easy, flat open bay, right off the wharf, hang a coleman lantern 3 feet off the water and the would gather.

I called fishbugs about it and to tell you the truth, they couldn't tell me if there is a season or limit or catch methods (i.e. multiple hooks, net, pots) although we did agree, 1/4 sticks of dynamite are probably not allowed... seal bombs were not mentioned though..

Default Squid

I have spent many hours fishing in PWS for squid in the last couple of years. I haven't caught a one. The reason I started targeting them was I was jigging a hearing in 40 feet of water and something grabbed it. It tugged on it for a few seconds and let go. When I checked the bait I saw the area where I am sure a squid had grabbed it. Since then I have tried lights at night and squid jigs at many different depths but no luck.

Default The Skinny

After a call to Fish & Game (With an initial answer of Idunno) There is apparently no closed season for squid and octopus. Means of take is by rod and reel or by of all things shrimp pot (the pot is for personal use but still no permit). and or nets (they wern't sure what type of net but we kinda narrowed it down to basically a brailer or a dipnet type of net (probablt after you were able to draw them in with lights).. as long as you are not targetting and keeping shrimp, lights are allowed, no limit no closed areas, just a general liscense needed. Same goes for octopus except you can use pots.

Bad part is squid is done at night, and seeing how they can't miss a well known charted reef, I am not sure I want to be out there drifting in my 1993 2002 WA Bayliner Trophy.

BUT, I sure did love squid...
    Any comment Steve???

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    I used to commercially fish squid in Monterey Bay (purse seine). I have heard people say there are squid in PWS but I have yet to actually find someone who has caught any.

Has any one ever caught squid in PWS, preferable on the west side? Structure? depth? general areas?

We used to catch them on a pole also but it was easy, flat open bay, right off the wharf, hang a coleman lantern 3 feet off the water and the would gather.

I called fishbugs about it and to tell you the truth, they couldn't tell me if there is a season or limit or catch methods (i.e. multiple hooks, net, pots) although we did agree, 1/4 sticks of dynamite are probably not allowed... seal bombs were not mentioned though..

Watch this, I can eat my weight in fried squid. No trouble at all. Maybe I was thinking of my wife only. No,NO, no it was me.

You know if a guy drinks beer, dried squid with raw onions make a heck of a fine meal also.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Watch this, I can eat my weight in fried squid. No trouble at all. Maybe I was thinking of my wife only. No,NO, no it was me.

You know if a guy drinks beer, dried squid with raw onions make a heck of a fine meal also.

We used to get the hard core guys show up at the boat when we docked, $5.00 for a 5 gallon bucket (you did have to provide your own bucket though) of squid so fresh it was still squirtin ink. These were the tender 6 in Monterey Bay squid too, the ones you buy at New Sayagyas in the New Wave box frozen. (interestingly enough New Wave was one of our buyers.....)

Default I Tried It Out Of Sitka

After seining for squid out of Ventura in the late 90s I tried to bring some up with lights out in Sitka Sound without much success. I convinced myself that I saw a layer of squid on the bottom in multiple areas on the south side of the Sound, but after anchoring and burning a lot of diesel with the squid lights we didn't get much sign. Once or twice we got the layer to ball up and move up in the water column but when we tried jigging we either caught immature rockfish or pollock. I am convinced there are pockets of squid around because we catch salmon with squid in their guts - but whether there is enough to target for a predictable catch I couldn't say one way or the other.

On occaision we would see squid zipping back and forth through our sodium hauling light beam while long-lining out offshore of Kruzof Is for blackcod, but they weren't the loligos like down in CA - they were about twice as long as the "8-9-to-the-pound" CA units. (Not BIG like the Humboldts but bigger than the food squid we seined down south.) We were always too busy dealing with the circle hooks to try and catch any of those guys. Let us know if you have any success. ;-]

I know of people catching them out of Valdez at night (friends of a friend) - There was an article in Alaska fishing magazine as well. I bought the jigs and all just waiting for the opportunity to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    After a call to Fish & Game (With an initial answer of Idunno) There is apparently no closed season for squid and octopus. Means of take is by rod and reel or by of all things shrimp pot (the pot is for personal use but still no permit). and or nets (they wern't sure what type of net but we kinda narrowed it down to basically a brailer or a dipnet type of net (probablt after you were able to draw them in with lights).. as long as you are not targetting and keeping shrimp, lights are allowed, no limit no closed areas, just a general liscense needed. Same goes for octopus except you can use pots.

Bad part is squid is done at night, and seeing how they can't miss a well known charted reef, I am not sure I want to be out there drifting in my 1993 2002 WA Bayliner Trophy.

BUT, I sure did love squid...
    Any comment Steve???
    Are you looking for a comment from this Steve?? da potbuilder?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Well Yea

You are the only Steve I know personally, And you do still commercial fish so I thought maybe you would have the skinny on it.

I have never used a pot for squid, it might work if you were to suspend the pot off the bottom near where they are grouping (to cut down some on bycatch), Maybe have a good strong light in it.

Of course if I were to drop them in 1800 feet I will probably end up wishing I had bought a ED puller.... LOL

In Taku harbor (south of Juneau) we caught one at night on a herring. We had a line off the side of the boat in ~30' of water. Something grabbed it hard, and we tried to set the hook, but it was gone. We reeled up the piece of herring and there was a chunk missing from it about the size of a quarter. So, we let it back down, and in a few seconds WHAM! something hit it but didnt get hooked. Another piece was missing from the herring. We thought it was probably a dungeness, since there was no teeth marks, but crabs dont hit bait hard.

After awhile of doing this, I thought to attach a herring chunk to one hook, and hang a small treble hook about two inches away from the bait. After a couple attacks on this rig, one of them finally got hooked. We brought it up, and what do you know we have a very angry squid on the line. The small treble got hooked on the tentacle when it grabbed the bait. We put it in a bucket and it turned the water black with ink (it didnt ink on the deck, but waited until we put it in water). We put it in some clean water and it died a few minutes later. We froze it, and a month later a very unlucky halibut ate it, along with a size 16 circle hook.

They probably came in chasing a huge school of spawning herring we found traveling 3 feet under the boat in the morning. Some dollies got the same idea, and we watched 20+ inchers attack the school right beside the boat. The squid were gone by daybreak, and we didnt see any more for the rest of the day. I might have pictures, if I do I will post them.

Default Yea

They are attracted by light but head to the bottom when the sun comes up..
    Commercial squid started at midnight and ended at daybreak,

Default Unless You Had a Deep Seine In Shallow Water

Alaskanmutt - You are right about "midnight to daybreak", but we were able to set on 'humps' of squid out in the Channel Islands as soon as the sun went down on quite a few ocaissions. Our outfit was trucking them all the way from Ventura Harbor to Watsonville so we would have to get right on the cell phones to scramble trucks and drivers that thought they had 4 or 5 extra hours before they went to work. I really liked that fishery - it was a great way to spend the winter months in a place where the sun had some warmth in it!

I have heard of people catching them once in awhile herring jigs. As 'ak char' found out they make excellent halibut (and blackcod) bait.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i once worked on a charter yacht and was shown a squid jig...

it was a wieghted plug with lots of neddles straight out the bottom of it... they came in various bright colors and glowed in the dark...

i was never given the opportuinty to use any of them.. and never really figured out HOW they caught squid.. but evidently they worked... the boat captian was one of the best fish guides i had ever seen for dropping a line in fish and pulling up what he told you would come up just from viewing the sonar.. so i trust his word on the jigs...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Check Out this Link - Catching Humboldts!

I just found this "youtube" link on a BC fishing site. Apparently these guys set up some lights on their boat and are catching Humboldt squids on treble hooks on weighted jigs off the west coast of Vancouver Is.

http://www.youtube.com/user/murphysp.../0/KXf3PFZxL-Y

I asked about this in the Hook Line and Sinker in Valdez one time and the very tall guy that used to work there several years ago told me that they caught squid in the Valdez area but I don't remember any of the particulars.

Default Squid

I was fishing halibut jig (16 oz with a power grub) in about 400 ft in late august around the upper end of bainbridge and caught about a 2.5 ft squid. I wish I had kept it but didnt feel like dealing with it as I was on my way back to Whittier. It was late afternoon and the sun was shining. I plan to target the specied this summer.

Good luck!

I remember hearing something about 5 ears ago, there being a bunch of squid in Shleikof Straight one winter/ fall/ spring... not summer though I thought somebody said Humboldts, but they could have been wrong. I don't know if it was dragggers, shrimpers, or pot codders. Could have just been hear say.
    I have caught one halibut here in Yakutat with a squid in it, but I'm betting it was a bait from an unlucky fisherman. I'm basing that on how it looked exactly like bait squid used/sold by some people here.