Thread: Burbot in Anchorage

Default Burbot in Anchorage

Had a great time with the family this weekend here in Anchorage out at DeLong Lake.... lots of little hungry rainbows to be had.... We also caught a small burbot!!! I had no idea there were any in there... they haven't been stocked in the lake according to the ADF&G stocking logs....

Anyone have any similiar experiences??

Greg

Default Blackfish

How big was your unexpected catch? I've caught 4"-6" blackfish in Delong that look like a small burbot.

Default small

it was in that 4-6 inch range.... looked like a small burbot... a blackfish huh?? never even heard of them.... as soon as I get the pic uploaded I'll post here... got a camera phone pic of him...

G

Default That's it

Thanks Dirt... that's it... it was a blackfish!! terrific link. thanks again gentlemen.

Greg

I paddle boat and fish Delong lake frequently in the summer with my family and have never heard of Burbot or Blackfish being native, stocked, or taken from the lake. I have pulled some nice size stockers out of the lake though the last few years.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Default They're in Kenai area lakes now too

My wife found a frozen one on the ice of Island Lake which someone had discarded. I would be surprised if they caused much ecological problems.

Those blackfish are native to much of alaska. When people argue that they are burbot it cracks me up! You have to learn somehow though.

Default True...

Quote Originally Posted by BowHunter89 View Post
    Those blackfish are native to much of alaska. When people argue that they are burbot it cracks me up! You have to learn somehow though.
    ... they are native to MUCH of Alaska, but like pike, not to south central. I'm fairly sure they do not pose near the threat however.

To my knowledge, burbot are not native to Anchorage or Kenai Peninsula lakes (they were apparently planted in Res. Pass lakes, and have been noted in Hidden and the Kenai River, but so far haven't been recorded as a threat).

Default ice event at lower fire lake

hey . i used to live in the eagle river, chugiak area and there was an event that was held at lower fire lake of which i can not remember. and i was looking for information that could direct me to a link and or site or maybe you know, what im looking for.
    it was an ice event that a flagged tower was placed on the ice and in the thaw months the tower eventually fell in. there was a raffle for the person or persons that guessed the time and date that this occured. I have one more question. what was or is the name of the event and do they still do it.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lemere View Post
    hey . i used to live in the eagle river, chugiak area and there was an event that was held at lower fire lake of which i can not remember. and i was looking for information that could direct me to a link and or site or maybe you know, what im looking for.
    it was an ice event that a flagged tower was placed on the ice and in the thaw months the tower eventually fell in. there was a raffle for the person or persons that guessed the time and date that this occured. I have one more question. what was or is the name of the event and do they still do it.
    No. But....every year, there is a least one guy that leaves his plane on skiis too long and it winds up going in! Way more fun to watch a plane sink than a tower.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default nothing local

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lemere View Post
    nothing local that I have ever heard about... there is the Nenana Ice classic of course...

http://www.nenanaakiceclassic.com/

Greg