Thread: Seward in July 2010

Default Seward in July 2010

Guys i have a question for you. Being this is an even numbered year are the pinks going to be in thick at Pony Cove in mid July? we are thinking of making a run over there and are concerned the pinks may be so thick it will be hard to hit any silvers. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Guys i have a question for you. Being this is an even numbered year are the pinks going to be in thick at Pony Cove in mid July? we are thinking of making a run over there and are concerned the pinks may be so thick it will be hard to hit any silvers. Any thoughts?
    I fish out of Seward 20 times a year at least and I don't remember pinks being a huge problem in Pony Cove or anywhere else near Seward at any time. Sure you do catch a few, sometimes a good number of them, but I have never had them stand in the way of getting into good numbers of silvers. By the way, the even year concern with pinks on the Kenai is a Kenai concern. On other rivers, it is the odd years that large numbers of pinks flood in. Obviously the point is, the ocean is a pretty big pond and since there are both even and odd year pinks around every year, I wouldn't worry about the pink issue on even years that happens on the Kenai spilling over into the Seward.

Thanks T.R. Now i need to find a reasonable charter. Is a half day enough if you are just looking for Silvers? Any recommendations? My buddy has a boat in Homer so we will have all the halibut we want so just looking for silvers.

http://justintimecharters.com/

Justin was born and raised in Seward, he is a one man operation, and top notch.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

KGPCR,

If the bite is on a half day charter will get you easy limits right inside the bay. There have been numerous times that my CD 22 has limited 5 people by 9am at Pony Cove and around Cheval Island after fishing for about an hour. There are also days that you have to work pretty hard to get them bite. If they are not biting I often go out past the cape and fish for halibut, lings, and rockfish down and around the Chiswell Islands. It is always nice to have bottom fish bail out the trip when the salmon are not cooperating so I would opt for a multi-species full day trip if it were my money. Enjoy your trip!

Tim