Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any one trade hunts?

Default Any one trade hunts?

I did some trades on dif website in the last few years.Just asking if any one on here,trades hunts.
    I live in Kansas now.There is very good deer here.Not the wide open land like up there but many good huntable spots.I do my home work,lots of scouting.No game cams here.Just lot time.
    I am going to hunt AK in the next few years.Just not sure what I will do yet.I do not want a guid and will not use one unless bear hunting for browns.If I do hunt browns it will be with a bow in spot and stalk.Boo or moose are my 1st on the list.I will also hunt them the same way.Bow spot and stalk.I will be hunting with my wife.She is also a bow hunter.We have a good number of elk,deer and blacks under our belt.
    As I stated I am not looking for a guide.If you come down here we would know where to hunt ,help on place to stay,cook :}and become friends.

Just tossing this out there if any one wants a new hunt.
    Charles

Recommend you check the archives - this has been discussed extensively in the past - pro's and con's, legality aspects, etc.

1st sad but true.I am dumb as a rock on doing muchon this PC.Bad,I spend to much time outdoors to learn the way around this PC.Hehe I dont even have a Tv hooked up for the kids.

From what I know and understand.I can at any time help some one to hunt/take game,as a freind.Now the guides I have worked for hate it.I have had many guys come hunt with me.The best thing about it is if the guy and you do not get along you are not binded to do as he ask.If you think he has to help you you are roung.So far I have had 8 dif guys come hunt with me.5 out of the 8 sucked crap.[I hunt with the 3 every year now]They had it in there head I was a guide and would hold there hand.I am looking for some one to hunt with,not to hold my hand.Even my wife hunts on her own.
    I gess what I am looking for is some one that hunts ashard as we do.That will do there share more or less.Shoot me some insight as I will do them.
    Funny I hunt with some great guys every year.I also see some of the worst guys.I am looking for more of the great ones.

Charles

I've been toying with the idea. Currently looking at hunting with a buddy from AZ on a fall backpack hunt for black bears in exchange for a chance to tag along on an elk or coues deer hunt when there isn't any big game to hunt up here in AK due to seasons being closed.

Hey elkinmtcwb, I'm in Kansas also. I will be hunting Ak next fall. My son and I have booked a DIY drop hunt with Forty-Mile Air, for moose and caribou. The folks on this forum have been very helpful in my nearly 2 years of research. Read all the post you can about the style of hunt you want to do, ask questions, get books on AK hunting, and then make your dream happen. I'm located in Council Grove. If you have any questions, let me know. As for trading hunts, I don't know of the legal issues, but I do know Kansas has big deer. Knute
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a friend that owns an outfitting guide service in Jackson Hole , WY....He said he'll take me on an Elk hunt there if I take him Moose hunting here, I told him I wasn't a guide.....so how does that work????

* of course he would be hunting as a Non-resident here, and me a non-resident there. He has bugged me about this for a couple years now, and I keep blowing it off, hoping he'd just forget about it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

so when trading hunts is it critter for critter or lb for lb... how many deer i get for a moose?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Dalton hwy.

If you want to hunt the Dalton highway corridor (the largest bow only area in the world) give me a pm. I have hunted up there a few times and the caribou hunting can be great. I live in Fairbanks and do a lot of bird hunting. If you could treat me to a week of pheasant and quail hunting in Kansas, I'll treat you to my small place and a week or so of hunting in Alaska. All of this depending of course on us agreeing to some specifics, but lets talk and see if we could have some fun with this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    so when trading hunts is it critter for critter or lb for lb... how many deer i get for a moose?
    That's about a 4 or 5 to 1 exchange rate!

hap

I am sure it has been covered before, but the reference to checking the archives was ignored and posters kept at the issue... So I will pee in the Wheaties...

Troopers consider bartering hunts to be guiding and insist upon a guide license... And they check... If someone is on a traded hunt they stand a good chance of having bad legal things happen...

Ty for the post and all the PMs.

As stated befor I suck at the pc.When the wife gets home I will Ask her to look up ARCHIVES.I dout it will do me much good.

The problem lies with the thought of what is == in hunts.Trade is a bad word just not many ways to put it.I went on a yote hunt for 2 days in TX.The guy [good friend now] came up to MT and hunted for 10 days for elk ,deer and a bear.He killed his elk and deer but no bear.To me I loved it.To most peopel it would have sucked,it was not ==.I had a blast.Killed 3 yotes with a bow.I saw many many things I would have never seen in Ks or MT.He did skin one yote.ONLY becouse he wanted it.If any one knows about hides TX is not a place to get them.
    I do not want a guide or need one.I am looking to make a few good friends to hunt with.My wife also hunts most places I go.

And for the deer to moose.however many tags you buy you could kill.What ever you have a licens for and see you are welcome to shoot.[Guides have Guid lines] Just remember if you gut shoot some thing you will be the one washing it out.

Charles

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    I am sure it has been covered before, but the reference to checking the archives was ignored and posters kept at the issue... So I will pee in the Wheaties...

Troopers consider bartering hunts to be guiding and insist upon a guide license... And they check... If someone is on a traded hunt they stand a good chance of having bad legal things happen...
    your right and that is one big reason we can not trade hunts up here is the NON res is required to be at least second degree of kindred...for most, moose bear, sheep... If our going to allow a person to accompany you on a hunt with out a guide it must be a hunt they are not required to have one on....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    your right and that is one big reason we can not trade hunts up here is the NON res is required to be at least second degree of kindred...for most, moose bear, sheep... If our going to allow a person to accompany you on a hunt with out a guide it must be a hunt they are not required to have one on....
    Actually Vince moose isn't required to have a guide neither is black bear. The only things that require a guide in AK is dall sheep, mountain goat, and brown/grizzly bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Actually Vince moose isn't required to have a guide.

aw i know.... let me have my coffee....

meet on face book here

Oh I know you wouldn't have cut me any slack so its the least I can do.

hap

But the concept of guiding is NOT limited to animals requiring a guide. If you are in the field and having an effect on the other hunter's success AND you are doing it with expectations of getting something in return it is guiding. That is by their definition.

One of the first questions they will ask is how long you have known each other...

My only point is making sure people know exactly what they are getting into...
    art

I don't think that is true there hap. My buddy was driving back to our moose hunting camp when he noticed a bull moose on the side of the road. He stopped and noticed it was legal. Then he noticed two guys further down the road looking at it also. They were just getting ready to leave as they couldn't tell it was legal as they were pretty inexperienced moose hunters. My buddy informed them that if they didn't shoot it he would because the bull was indeed legal. So one of the guys ended up shooting it and my buddy unloaded his 6x6 (they didn't have a wheeler with them)helped them butcher it and then hauled it all to the road in his 6x6. Is this illegal?? Helping guys out as we already had one moose down in camp?? He did get a front shoulder out of it as they insisted he take half of all the meat but didn't want all that meat. So he didn't know these guys more than 5 minutes before he aided them in taking the moose by confirming to them it was a legal bull and he took a quarter of the meat for his troubles. So do you think a F&G officier would have been giving out some tickets if they admited to not only hunting together after knowing eachother for only 5 minutes but also the hunter giving away a quarter of the meat in exchange for helping them?? I doubt it, but I've been wrong before. I guess you better report this offense to the authorities.

There is nothing illegal about two guys going hunting together (so long as are both from the US and have the proper non-res taggage), sharing expenses, and chasing game together that doesn't require a guide such as caribou, black bear, and moose. Otherwise there would be a requirement of time to have known eachother before being able to hunt together written in the regs. I can see it now. You must documentation showing you have known your hunting partner for 6 months prior to the hunt.

Just make sure you fill out a transfer of possession form when they give you that front shoulder.
    my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    Just make sure you fill out a transfer of possession form when they give you that front shoulder.
    my 2 cents
    Yes sir, he had to ask for it as they weren't aware of that form, but he tore a copy off the back of the regs had them fill it out was good to go.

This certainly walks a fine line. There is nothing wrong with a couple buddies going hunting together regardless of where they are hunting ( AK or KS). The problem crops up in the solicitation for a quid pro quo type of hunt agreement. I would have no problem taking a member from the south to moose camp and then at some later date heading down to their neck of the woods to chase animals. It just gets hairy when you start using words like "trade", "barter" or "exchange".

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast