Thread: Dall Sheep on Kodiak Island!

Default Dall Sheep on Kodiak Island!

I recently picked up a copy of the new ADF&G publication "Game Transplants in Alaska" and noticed an interesting section describing the transplant of Dall sheep to Kodiak Island between 1964 and 1967. One ewe was transplanted in 1964, 13 mixed ewes, rams and lambs in 1965, and two additional sheep in 1967. All transplants were from the Kenai Peninsula. The release site was in Uganik Bay and sheep were seen as far away as Barling Bay (about 30 miles). Sheep sightings continued until the mid-1970s. More sheep would have been transplanted, but there was difficulty capturing sheep on the Kenai and a fair number of the captured sheep died. This is the only sheep transplant attempt described in the publication.

In case anyone was wondering, goats first came to Kodiak in 1952, Sitka blacktail deer in 1924.

Default Sheep

Your right, you will hit 1000 posts by the end of the year. Hoorah!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Your right, you will hit 1000 posts by the end of the year. Hoorah!!
    I'm working on it!!!

I recently downloaded that book from 24 hour campfire and thought it was a good read. Wonder why they chose to put sheep on Kodiak? Who thought racoon's were a good idea?
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default Sheep On Kodiak

My understanding (from a resident of Kodiak) is that Kodiak Island looked like good sheep habitat. Evidently the transplant didn't work.

I've hunted southern Kodiak on 2 occasions and it looks (to me) like both sheep and moose should be able to survive there. The reindeer certainly have survived as well as the blacktails.

Maybe sheep can't survive because of bear predation. I'm sure someone should know.

Default Too much moisture

Weather in Kodiak is/was too moist for sheep as opposed to the cold frigid temps they can handle else where. Goats can handle the wet cold far better, hence why the goats have exploded across the island.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Wonder why they chose to put sheep on Kodiak? Who thought racoon's were a good idea?
    Sheep and Kodiak does not seem like a good fit to me either, but I guess back in those days they were up for trying anything. I can not imagine why anyone would want racoons around unless they wanted something for their hounds to chase!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    My understanding (from a resident of Kodiak) is that Kodiak Island looked like good sheep habitat. Evidently the transplant didn't work.

I've hunted southern Kodiak on 2 occasions and it looks (to me) like both sheep and moose should be able to survive there. The reindeer certainly have survived as well as the blacktails.

Maybe sheep can't survive because of bear predation. I'm sure someone should know.
    Kodiak is not good sheep habitat Phil. If you look at the average annual precipitation in Alaska's major sheep country it is lower than on Kodiak Island. I suspect that the deep, wet snows that hit Kodiak and other parts of coastal Alaska were probably the biggest obstacle to the transplants.

Default Racoons

seems to me i heard a story that a guide Deadman's Bay area. was told he could not keep racoons as pets since they were wild animals and he let them loose and they expanded there range. also heard Racoons were released by individuals on one of the ABC islands in SE. I don't recall where i had heard either story.
    Last edited by AK NIMROD; 12-28-2009 at 10:35. Reason: added words
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Had that discussion with Roland/Sea Hawk air several years ago. Apparently it was too wet for sheep survival. He recalled seeing the occasional Dall from time to time for several years but none recently - maybe for the last 20 years or so.

Default sheep should work

I am no biologist, but you would think sheep would prosper on Kodiak. Snow sheep on the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia seem to have the same habitat as Kodiak. I have have about transplants in the lower 48, and sheep are very fragile. Maybe that is why no one has tried again.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I recently downloaded that book from 24 hour campfire and thought it was a good read. Wonder why they chose to put sheep on Kodiak? Who thought racoon's were a good idea?
    Glad to see my link got used...
    art

hap

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

Moose transplants failed also...

Exclamation No coons

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    seems to me i heard a story that a guide Deadman's Bay area. was told he could not keep racoons as pets since they were wild animals and he let them loose and they expanded there range. also heard Racoons were released by individuals on one of the ABC islands in SE. I don't recall where i had heard either story.
    Nobody never brought no coons to Deadman Bay But I heard a famous guide on Amook Is. in Uyak Bay had em as pets.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    Nobody never brought no coons to Deadman Bay But I heard a famous guide on Amook Is. in Uyak Bay had em as pets.
    That's what I remember. Think FWS had a trapper catching them for awhile.
    Joe (Ak)

Default Kodiak

Joe Want you have a PM