Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 200 gr NF Tech bullets for grizz

Default 30-06 200 gr NF Tech bullets for grizz

I plan to hunt moose with my bow and carry my '06 for defense against grizz, if legal, or in case I run out of arrows ...

Please look at the website before commenting on whether the North Fork Technologies, 200 grainers, moving at ~2550-2600 fps would be a reasonable choice. Note: I didn't say the best; I don't want to hear about larger calibers. I teach science, so I understand the math... I just want to know if this is a good balance of mass/speed/length:width to get good penetration/kill ability on a grizz within 30-40 yds.

http://www.northforkbullets.com/mage...8-200-ss.html/

http://www.northforkbullets.com/magento/

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I want experienced thoughts on this specific product.

Thanks! Ken "ORAK"

Northforks are a good quality bullet and should work well for what you want.

Then again any premium bullet in a 180-200gr bullet will do that job. If the Northforks don't shoot well try Noslers Partitions or Barnes TSX's.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

It would be hard for me to not pick a Nosler Partition.

Default 200gr '06

That should do the trick- 200gr. in the .30'06 is my favorite loading. i have killed a few bears w/ 200 gr. Sierras, and I think some Noslers. I quit packing the '06 a number of years ago when I knew I was going to be provoking bears on purpose- If I was in a bow hunting situation I would go up to 220 gr. bullets for better penetration on brush, bad angles, etc.

Default Confused...

"provoking bears on purpose" - are you referring to predator calling?
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

You will be fine. A 200 GR .30-06 bullet will destroy any brown bear in this state.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

- hunting fall bears along a salmon stream & crawling through the alders- anytime I am looking for a confrontation w/brown bears, I prefer to carry a bigger stick. I carry a .416 Rem most of the time now, a .375 on occasion. But that's just me.

North Fork Technologies 200 grainers would be a good choice for a 30-06.

Default Thanks!

Thank you all for your sincere input. I appreciate your advice.
    Happy New Year!... Ken

Hi, Ken. I hunt with a Bow, So i can say this is not my first dance. Your choice of 200 grn, 06 is fine, with a well placed shot, Not a matter of what you hit them with, but where.So any good bullet 30-40yd,s Will do.Now that being said, I would and do use a 12gauge,For the follow up. Say you stick one with a arrow, couple hr,s wait and go look,I would rather have the 12g. Cause the next meeting your going to have will be very close. Another thing if packing the rifle around. Have it unslung and ready before the shot with the arrow.Because you will never have time get it off, and up, aim and fire if things go bad. If you carry it because can,t quite get close enough for your bow,But still worried about filling your tag or going home emty handed. Or your mind tells you man i could have had that moose if i would would had my 06 along.Then your not quite ready to jump ship into the bowhunting world.It is a tuff jump going home, emty handed few times,Ok maybe more than a few, But each time you will become a better Hunter, i promoise.

I agree to the fullest extent with Susitna Ak. I hunt with a longbow and it made me into a real predator.

Default 30-06

If you want to be serious you really should get a bigger gun.Doesn't really matter what bullet you got like the man said before if you have your bow and bear decides he is going to get you probably won't get a shot off anyway. Hunt with a partner and have him carry a 375 or larger. I hunted with a 06 for over twenty years in Southeast and they are a good rifle but have seen several bears get hit hard and not recovered with 220 grain bullets . Shots where further than 50 yards though. If you do have the rare occurence of a bear coming for you I will garantee that you will be happy you had a bigger gun. Reminds me of a young teacher here in Sitka went to Yakatat to hunt moose with a friend . My son and I have been deer hunting with him five or six times and always said he felt very comfortable with his 06. Well they shot a moose came back the next day and a big boar was on the moose and charged . Ben shot two or three shots with his 06 and bear never even slowed 416 went off bear down. From forty yards you are basically shooting at a ball of fur and happens very quick.
    James Phillips

Default Follow-up 200 gr slower v. 180 gr faster

Thank you for answering my post on 30-06 North Fork Technologies bullets for grizzly defense!

Iíd like another of your opinions, but didnít know if I posted, whether youíd be notified.. Iím new to this forum thing.

I see that a number of you use 180 grain bullets for grizzly/browns. Now, I donít intend to hunt bears; I want to be able to use my pump Ď06, if necessary to stop a bear, when bowhunting moose. (yes, the gun will be in my hands and the bow on the back, until I plan to shoot my bow)

Iíve gotten your thumbs up on the 200 grainers. They also make a 180 grainer that would open up more at the higher velocity of 2750 fps, compared to the 200 gr @ 2600 fps. Since these bullets retain almost all of their mass, their ending weights are comparable to a conventional bullet of at least 20 grains heavier.

So, Iím wondering if you think that the 180 grain bullet at the higher velocity, has enough momentum for the front end of the bear?.. Do you think I would potentially have the same bone penetration as a 200 grain conventional bullet that sheds a lot of mass?

I know that the 200 grain version of this bullet would go deeper, but it looks as though it might not open enough at the lower velocity of 2500-2600 fps, especially if itís a soft tissue shot. Iíve attached pics of both the 200 gr. and the 180 gr. bullet mushrooms.

Is bear spray really a viable option to a bullet?

Thank you!!! Ken
    [IMG]file:///Users/ken/Desktop/308-200gr.jpg[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Big Bullits Kill Big Bad Charging Bears

Yo teach...forget the science...and biology...bears do not understand your math anyway...
    If you really feel you need to be concerned about a bad bear encounter where firepower and backup might be necessary, just...
    ...just listen to Bear Guide (post #21).

Keep it simple. Big bad mad bears die fastest if whacked with big bullits.
    Have a great bow hunt for moose. You will be safer while hunting than you will be while driving to work.

dennis

Glad to know that encountering a bear might be less of an issue than daily car crashes .... (Humans, encased in large masses, at even low velocities, can cause big problems.)

This next bit is not a nasty reply to you, at all !!... Others, please understand this.. It's a request to all reading this post, for experienced info, from which we develop hypotheses,, not just simple guesses, without data..

The point about pointing out that I teach science is not to pretend to be special,, but I understand the physics and really don't wish to read the second-hand ideas, that can sometimes appear on forums.. I want real, substantied info!,, preferably from someone who's been there. I have plenty of "theoretical" evidence,, but/and greatly appreciate the knowledge of those who have tested and gained info through experience.

Thanks!... Ken

Default No science...

The real substantial information from someone who has watched (ONLY) 19 brown bears die... is that they really do die hard.
    And when mad or wounded and in the alder brush they really, really do die very hard.

I do believe that all of us are safer hunting moose and bears than while driving. But you expressed that you are concerned and I understand that. Keep in mind that bad bear encounters are rare. A bad bear encounter, in my mind, is any bear encounter that results in contact. Any encounter that does not result in actual physical contact, in my mind, is a good bear encounter. There really is surpriseingly few contact encounters in Alaska each year. By the way, I like bears. Especially brown bears. I like seeing bears. I like watching bears. I like my client-hunters to shoot bears. I like to shoot a brown bear every few years myself.

You were concerned about a possible encounter or attack while bow hunting for moose. So...a central nervous system strike will immobilize 'em immediately, a good death. A heart shot willl kill em very fast, a good death. A double lung shot will kill em, probably reasonably fast, sometimes not so fast, a good death probably.

If shot anywhere else, they aint gonna die fast, but they will eventually die a bad death, and they are gonna be really pissed off until they do die. Keep in mind that a brown bear is not like a human. If you or I get shot in the guts we are gonna beg to go to the hospital. All the fight in us is gonna immediately be gone. Your wouded bear will react fiercely, probably. If you whack 'em in one lung, the bear will of course die, but can live a shockingly long time. Even with mortal wounds, but imperfect mortal wounds, if is just incredible how long they can live. And once the shooting starts and the imperfect hits begin, it is astonishing how many bullit strikes they can absorb. Pissed off or wounded bears die hard. Believe this...science does not and can not explain what might go through a mad bears mind or why they can absorb so much lead. Ya got to see it, to live it, to begin to understand it.

As a backup gun your 30/06 is probably fine with any 200 weight bullit, or bigger, because you probably will not need it. Plenty of brown bears get dead from hunters with 30/06s. But for a backup gun, for mad bears in the alder brush, I prefer bigger guns and bigger bullits. I have been to several brown bear camps that employed a total of, say, 30 guides. Our guns, which are for backup purposes only, are always bigger that 30/06s. Frankly, I have never saw or heard of a guide in modern-day Alaska that would consider a 30/06 as a brown bear backup gun. Again, I would not hesitate to harvest a brown bear with a 30/06 if I could wait for a reasonable close broadside double lung shot. But as a guide I want a backup gun, my guide gun, to be a big gun with a big hole in the end of the barrel and that shoots a big heavy bullit. Fortunately, I have only whacked out four wouded bears in the alder brush at between ten and fifteen yards. Fortunate for me. Not so fortunate for the brown bears.

One of our forum members has probably watched 200 brown bears tip over. Perhaps he will comment. Perhaps he will provide you with different advise for a mad bad brown bear backup gun.

Dennis

Fantastic!.. Thank you for all that great info, Dennis.

I've read others talk of alder thickets.. The area I'm thinking of in the Interior, is more birch and conifer. I wouldn't be able to weave an arrow through alders, or willows, anyway. Sounds like I have a lot more research to do!

Thanks again, Ken

Post why not hunt with the one u brung?

of all the arrow's i slung at game ,i can't even think of the time i "had a back up"..if i'm bow hunt'in thats what i have .....the pistol/rifle is in or on the wheeler/truck/boat just in case > a two legged critter gets out of line/ and or i see "mushroom cloulds" and a loud noise off in the distance toward a town....... ps( i know by lookin at my wall that 200gr, '06 hand loads kill kodiak brown bears ,well unless they got bigger and meaner since 87')
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I think a bullet flying at between 2600-2700 fps is just about perfect.

I think the spray could just be some added seasoning for the bear dinner. Haha!

I would still go with the 200 or higher for bear protection, thatís what weíre talking about not hunting. In a hunting situation I might agree with the 180ís, were a well placed shot in the vitals might benefit from a wider not longer wound channel. In a self defense situation youíre looking to hit the nervous system and break bones to stop a bear now! So the deeper the bullet can go the better within reason you still want a good mushroom / meatplant. A good shot to the lungs or heart might deter a bear but it might not, and a bear can do a lot of damage in the minute or so it takes to die.

bw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast