Thread: eating ptarrmagin

Default eating ptarrmagin

I have an oportunity to hunt some ptarmagin but am just curious having never hunted them before, how do they taste? I quit hunting spruce grouse because I dont really care for the way they taste. I have been told ptarmies are better eating and the meat is pink is this true? and can you compare the taste to any other game birds.
    Thanks

geof156,

Ptarmigan are very red meat. You see, they fly around a lot! You may not like them all that well. Soak the fillets overnight in salt water, milk, or beer. Fold sliced breasts over thin slices of jalopeno peppers, wrap with bacon and hold it all together with a toothpick, and slap some barbecue sauce on top. If this isn't to your liking...take two shots of whiskey prior to eating! But do eat what you shoot, please.

Jim

Default They're good!

We used to split them and hang them in the spring to dry them like jerky. Not bad. My wife likes them that way with seal oil. A school teacher I used to know out in the village would bone the breasts, grind them and use them for spaghetti and other recipes (she was Italian). We generally stewed them with potatoes or macaroni, canned tomatoes and onions. It is also possible to cook several of them together in the oven in a covered roaster. Frying is not bad either, but the absolute best way to eat ptarmigan is over an alder camp fire.

Default dark meat and aquired taste

They are a dark meat and not the best tasting in my opionion. However I do eat them. The dogs insist !

Like many other game meats (waterfowl included) do not I repeat do not over cook them. Believe it or not cooking them rare will provide a more tender, less gamey and tasty treat. You can marinade them multiple ways as well as cook them a variety of ways; grilled, pan fried, stir fry or shish-ka-bob. A good stew slow cooked in the crock pot is also pretty good.

Jim your recipe has my mouth watering, lol. That sounds fantastic.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

me? i fry the bacon and eat it... then brown the breast in the fat with a light coat of flour. and toss in the crock pot with a 1/2 lb of ready to cook beans and sauce.... an onion... a clove or two of garlic, cilantro.. a bit of brown sugar.. and some orange peel...couple other things two ... but they wont come to me till i cook it again...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wow, you guys sure go to great lengths to disguise the taste of ptarmigan! I find that they taste best if not overcooked. I season the breast halves and wrap them in a pinned on strip of bacon and grill or fry to medium rare. Cooked this way, they are about like steak. Alternatively I will dice up the breasts and use them in stroganoff or hash as I would beef or moose, making sure to cook the meat first and not over cook it. I add the meat back in just before serving.

As Jim mentioned, ptarmigan meat is very dense and red. As such it will take longer to cook to a given temperature than will moose or other game.

I have tried other methods such whole, stuffed, roasted birds, but we get the best flavor out of the recipes I mentioned above.

Usually I just fry them after a good water soak overnight. Salt and pepper then right on the plate with a little bit of rice. I love wild game meat though and it seems anymore I might be one of the few.

Breaded and fried is always good. Ptarmigan stir fry is always delicious. As everyone else said... do not overcook.

I soak mine in lemon juice over night and generally enjoy mine in tacos, fajitas, or burritos. I also have made a "chicken" alfredo with obviously the chicken being ptarmi. That with some sauteed veggies and garlic is awesome. As mentioned before, DO NOT OVERCOOK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    I have an oportunity to hunt some ptarmagin but am just curious having never hunted them before, how do they taste? I quit hunting spruce grouse because I dont really care for the way they taste. I have been told ptarmies are better eating and the meat is pink is this true? and can you compare the taste to any other game birds.
    Thanks

I oven bake all I take and just love them, no soaking and not trying to desire anything, they is good.

Chicken Alaska got it's name because the fellows that mined the area couldn't spell ptarmigan, to name the post office. I think that says it all.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Take em and boil them with bay leaves and a bunch of other spices you like for a long time. Then shred the meat and mix with el pato sauce and make em into taquitos it is the best.

One other method that is good -

Give each breast half a few good whacks with a meat tenderizing mallet, you want them to be about 1/4" thick.

Dredge with flour that has been seasoned with salt and pepper.

Dip in an egg/milk mixture.

Dredge is seasoned flour again.

Fry in about 1/2" of oil as you would chicken fried steak.

Make gravy with the drippings.

Pretty tasty!

Default Ptarmigan are like beaver...

if you can get past the smell, ya gotter licked...

I think they great! I breast them, Filet the meat off the breast and cut in strips. Soak in milk overnight, drain them, dip in egg and coat with Italian bread crumbs with a little extra garlic salt and pan fry quickly in olive oil or bacon grease. Goes great on a salad. The milk takes away the smell and gamey taste.