Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double score on Lynx Hares

Default Double score on Lynx Hares

I went north on Sat with the snowmobile hoping to chase a few bunnies, explore a new area, and maybe call in a fox or two.. I saw 2 fox, butt they were way off in the distance on a adjacent ridge..and with the snow conditions, ice fog and limited visability.. I wasnt able to close the distance and they were too far to hear the call.. But I managed to score a few bunnies.. I think I saw 150-200 hares, I only took 16 shotgun shells with me so I think I got 14 of them.. Also called in several Lynx and harvested 2. Fist 2 Lynx I have ever taken and I got them on the same day.. Also called in 2 for a friend and he got both of them as well.. Seen a 5th one, but the limit is 2, so we just watched it for several minutes.. I guess I know where to go next year and try and get some more Lynx..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slide2.jpg   Slide1.jpg  

Very cool!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

nice!! no trapping license? fur limist suck with out one....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

get your self a trapping liscense and get more

Five, nice hunt! Were any of the cats grouped up or all singles? Daylight hunt? Looks like the one on the right is a tom. I haven't seen a lynx yet this year after quite a bit of calling. Well done again.

I am pretty impressed with your days haul, looks like it will be a hard one to beat!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Heck yeah

I have seen a total of 3 Lynx my whole life up until now.. and all of them were on base.. and you cant hunt them their, plus it was spring time.. I went with the intent to call fox and coyotes, shoot a few bunnies and have a good day.. of the cats we saw, I shot a huge Tom and a smaller female.. MY partner took a adult Female and a small male.. We took the 2 bigger ones about 1 hour apart and they came alone.. we returned to the truck, unloaded bunnies and the cats and pushed further in, I saw one off the trail just sitting their.. I proceeded up the draw further and stopped, walked back a ways and called.. 20 minutes later 2 smaller ones appeared.. Probably brother and sister.. as they were about the same size and had juvenille teeth.. We shot those... Saw a fox later on and I tried to call to it but a adult cat came in to about 20-30 yards.. and sat their for 10 minutes or so.. I muted the call and it walked off.. no fox.. never seen a Coyote or wolf, only saw 1 set of coyote tracks.. On the way out I saw another Lynx again but think it was the same cat as before as it was the same area with in a 1/4 mile.. ..

On the first I will get a trapping license and go set some traps in the area and do some more calling.. I'll wait until the new year where I have to get a new license anyway..

Default Double score on lynx hares

If you buy your trapping license now it is good until Oct 2010, so don`t wait, go get um!!!!

Wow. That is the most phenomenal thing I have heard in some time! You called in "several" lynx? I hope to do that in my lifetime, let alone in one winter...let alone in one day! Absolutely amazing! Well done, and thanks for sharing.

Default I quit

I can't hardly call in a starving dog with a bone and you call in and take 4 lynx? HOLY GUACAMOLE! That is very neat. Sure wish you had video to share. I'm so jealous!

I thought about this hunt all evening guess the river rat isn't the only jealous one. I have trapped many cats but never have got one to come into my fancy electic call. You must have located a family unit and really did a fine job. Guess I need to get out and try a bit before cat seasons over.
    Μολών λαβέ

Hey Hoyt

I don't know if you know it or not, but what they were refering to is you can "Trap" with your rifle as long as you have a trapping license. You don't need to set traps to be trapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    On the first I will get a trapping license and go set some traps in the area and do some more calling.. I'll wait until the new year where I have to get a new license anyway..
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default cat's

comgragulations....i think you got the saliva running for most of us!! you usung an e-caller? again nice job!!

Default Video

I plan on taking a video camera next weekend, I could go my whole life with out ever seeing another one so I dont plan on shooting any more..I dont think I would shoot another one if I saw it..with the 2 I got, I am going to mount both of them chasing a snowshoe hare and leaping through the air.....

After all the PM's, I'll just post on here what I use..

I use a FX-3 foxpro, I mainly use the snowshoe hare in distress call and I call where their is LOTS of Hares and sign.. By lots of sign, I mean.. find a area that is literally covered in tracks..and bunnies.. I prefer Thick willow areas surrounded by spruce.. Instead of looking for a big open area to call in, I find thick dark areas that have small openings.. I hide, positions the call out at the far edge of the small opening and wait.. All cats were taken @ ranges less than 30 yards..

Default Huntress

I know wiht a trapping license their is no limit for them in area 13, but I am content with just the 2 I got.. I dont plan on shooting anymore.. Now fox and Yotes.. I wont slow down on them @ all.. I have been looking real hard for a Wolverine..

Default Way to Go

Congratulations, that's quite a day of calling. I called one in on Thursday, but only caught a glimpse of him sneaking in from behind me and then vanishing. He sat down behind a ton of snow covered willows for about 20 minutes looking at the speaker, and then just walked out of the area. I never saw him, but saw where he sat down. Were you playing your FoxPro sounds constantly, or pausing and playing? Also, were you using Full volume? The Lynx I've called all seem to show up in under 10 minutes with that one on Thursday showing up 3 minutes into the stand of constant calling from the e-caller at about half volume. Had 2 show up on one stand before, but the season was closed. Again, way to go, that's the Lynx hot-spot you have there, better get back out there and get em'.

By the way, I forgot to send my congratulations! It's always nice when things come together like that.
    Most folks don't know that you can trap with your rifle, I wasn't sure if you knew or not... Good for you on limiting yourself, I don't know that I could have! You'll enjoy trapping them in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I know wiht a trapping license their is no limit for them in area 13, but I am content with just the 2 I got.. I dont plan on shooting anymore.. Now fox and Yotes.. I wont slow down on them @ all.. I have been looking real hard for a Wolverine..
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Coyotes were the most challenging and I think are the most gratifing but I always happy to see a big tom esspecially in the locations my pop used to set 50 years ago
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Tough

I think Fox are the toughest to call.. I Usually call in a bunch, but closing the deal, positioning them, and making a clean shot is tough.. I have taken a few, but I think the fox are the wisest..

In Minnesnowta growing up, I took 9 yotes in 1 afternoon.. Seemd too easy..But up here, I have called in 3 coyotes I think.. and hammered them all in the face.. The fox just seem to give me the slip from close range.. probably a 50/50 call in and bag success rate..

The cats: I called in 3 singles, and 1 pair.. all from about 10am until 4pm.. the sets were short, and precise sets in thick willows/spruce.. I always start kinda soft as if their is something close, you dont want to blast it..

I Then increase the volume... I even raise and lower it on the wails of the bunny.. to make it more convinicing and not just a bunny screaming in 1 tone.. if I see movement.. I mute it.. lower the volume all way way down.. then un mute.. and increase it so i can barely hear it.. they can hear 100 times better then we can, it seems to really agravate them and bring em in.. The call is out 40-50 meters to my 10 or 2 o'clock.. depending on the wind.. the game usually crosses between me and the call and i nail them on the fringe of the open area 20-30 yards out..

usually I go out wiht my kids and family.. its hard hiding 5 people in the brush, all being still and quiet..I am sure we are more often spotted before we see stuff.. I get stuff, but not often..this way..this time, I went with another experienced adult.. so we hid, and stayed quiet and didnt move.. I think this significantly helped in or success.. Keep the questions comming.. I'll give any advice I can.. Just not my spots..

I hope this answers a few questions..

I'm better at getting Coyotes than Fox it seems. I just can't seem to close the deal on Fox for some reason. It was odd the other day that I decided to play the sound non-stop, I typically don't do it that way. When you put out your speaker at 40-50meters, are you aiming your speaker back towards you? Thanks for the information, it's always good to hear what worked for people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast