Thread: Halibut reel. How did i do?

Default Halibut reel. How did i do?

I picked up this bad boy for 50.00. Its never had line on it. How will this guy work for Halibut?

You did great...one of the most favored halibut/bottom fish reels...shoulda got 2, though, and given me one since you missed my birthday more than 50 times in a row...lol..congrats! Be sure to rinse well with fresh water after using in the salt as outer rings, reel seat etc. are prone to corrosion.

Default That's a fine reel....

but you'll want to get good laying the line with the sides of your thumb so it doesn't bunch up.

Sometimes reels like that which haven't been used have been sitting around with the drag star tightened, leaving the drag washers compressed. Check the drag out before you use the reel for halibut. Usually, if the drag washers need replaced, you have to tighten it nearly all the way down before you start getting much drag. Most of those Penn Senators use the same Penn T-100 drag washers, and most tackle stores stalk them. Make sure you arrange the metal and fiber washers in the same sequence when you replace them. Besides washing the reel in fresh water after salt use, make sure you loosen the drag all the way when not in use.

That reel holds quite a bit of line, and you can use mono if fishing in less than 100 feet of water, but mono has too much stretch to feel bottom bites very well especially in deeper water. The old dacron line is big diameter for its strength, but you've got enough capacity to use it. Most people use superbraid such as PowerPro these days, and 80 lb test is most common and it only has about 17lb mono diameter. So, that would take about a thousand yards to fill your reel, so put a bunch of heavy mono on first, then top it with about 300 yards of 80lb super braid and you'll be set. A lot of tackle stores that sell bulk line will know about how much mono to put on before the super braid.

Tight lines...catch a barndoor!!

Penn makes a very good reel. That model is even a good charter quality reel. I would have bought every one of them that they were selling for 50 bucks a pop. If you are using it in Cook Inlet put a super-braid on it as others have suggested as it will have significantly less ballooning during the tides making it way easier to keep your bait on the bottom.

I have a jumbo spool of 65lb braid i picked up last year at Trustworthy already waiting for me up in Homer. I am glad i picked up a good reel.Thanks Guys!

One of the best multi-use reels, although all the new stuff out there;lighter, smaller, more drag, etc. also more $$$ is catching my eye!

50 bucks is a steal! We've caught 300 lb. marlin on those w/50-60 lb. mono.

Jim