Thread: Please help at Kenai

Default Please help at Kenai

I have been a friend for a very long time, now it is time to speak up and ask for help. Dipnetting is under attack like never before at the Kenai City Council. Our old friend Jim Butler, the multimillionare commercial fisherman and lawyer has been attacking dipnetters for years. Now he has recruited another commercial fisherman who is on the Kenai City Council to support his efforts to harm dipnetting in any way possible. The current efforts are to convince the Council that the fishery is in no way beneficial to the community of Kenai, and that using a vehicle on the Kenai beaches should be by permit only. Now I am asking you to contact the Kenai Mayor and city council members and let them know of your support and appreciation for the work that has been done to make this fishery a plesant and productive experience. Give me contact numbers if you need more info.

Default Kenai City Council

Can you post more info on this? I can't see what you mean.

Jim Butler got almost 20 minutes of microphone time during the unscheduled public comments portion of the 12/2 meeting but did he mention the personal use fishery? If so I missed it.

Can you post any specifics of which Council meeting this happened at? And under which agenda item or part of the meeting?

Thanks in advance.

Default some calm ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai Friend View Post
    I have been a friend for a very long time, now it is time to speak up and ask for help. Dipnetting is under attack like never before at the Kenai City Council. Our old friend Jim Butler, the multimillionare commercial fisherman and lawyer has been attacking dipnetters for years. Now he has recruited another commercial fisherman who is on the Kenai City Council to support his efforts to harm dipnetting in any way possible. The current efforts are to convince the Council that the fishery is in no way beneficial to the community of Kenai, and that using a vehicle on the Kenai beaches should be by permit only. Now I am asking you to contact the Kenai Mayor and city council members and let them know of your support and appreciation for the work that has been done to make this fishery a plesant and productive experience. Give me contact numbers if you need more info.
    I am all for public input but I think we should not make this an attack on Jim Butler. I know Jim and first and foremost he is not a multimillionare - I doubt he is even a millionare at all. However, that is beside the point.

He is bringing up issues that impact his business and as a Kenai city resident he has a right to voice his concerns - most of which are not new and have been brought up by the police department and others. For example, the issue of beach travel. He must deliver fish at least twice a day when the commercial fishery is operating and the personal use fishery is on -going. He has limited time to do that with the UCI tides. There are peak days in the PU fishery that has made it difficult if not impossible for him to clear the beach with his trucks and fish loads. When the trucks are heavy he needs to maintain some speed. The crowds and vehicles make that hard to do. So I think you can see a valid user of the beach has been limited by the present PU situation.

The police have noted on several occassions that they have had trouble getting onto the beach with emergency vehicles. Therefore, I think we can say that there is a valid issue.

Jim's proposed solution is to limit parking on the beach and only issue permits to those who need to traverse the beach. PU fisherman do not need to do that in his opinion. I do not think that is an attack on the PU fishery - although I know he does not like it for other reasons. In any event I think if one is going to the Kenai city meetings and I encourage people to do so they should present possible solutions, not just argue for the status quo. I do not think the city has considered closing the PU fishery but controlling access is an issue for the city to deal with.

Maybe a list of solutions here would help the discussion.

I fully support the PU fishery, but am also against allowing anyone to drive or park on the beach within the designated fishing zone during the fishery. Permits sounds like a fine idea. The place is way over-crowded and allowing people to take vehicles on the beach makes it 100 times worse than it needs to be. Park and walk. Whining about having to walk a couple hundred yards is going to fall on deaf ears. We are in Alaska and folks are expected to be "tough" enough to handle a short walk.

That said, anyone taking part in politics that clearly has a personal twist to the axe he grinds (e.g. if a commercial fisherman is clearly trying to shut down what he views as competition for his "day job") then that needs to be aired and shut down as a conflict of interest. So, if there is any proof of this guy trying to work a personal vendetta through the political process, let's see it. But if Nerka is right in the fact that a bunch of inconsiderate morons are blocking a transportation route for a business activity, then something must be done to rectify that.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Question not a solution for south beach

Parking and walking is not a solution for south beach; its virtually a closure.

I'm still not hearing which City Council meeting the OP was referring to; I'd like to hear/see what is in the public record on this subject. I have looked, and have found zilch. Help, please?

Are these meetings open to the public? And where do we find when and where they are conducted.

Arrow Kenai City Council Meeting schedule and info

Quote Originally Posted by s_wright121 View Post
    Are these meetings open to the public? And where do we find when and where they are conducted.
    Right here: http://www.ci.kenai.ak.us/clerkspage/council_agenda.htm

Thanks Familyman for the info.