Thread: Tied Leader Storage?

Default Tied Leader Storage?

I posted the following message on the "Captain Downriggins" Saltwater Salmon forum last evening. With all of the charter skippers posting on here on the Alaska Outdoors Forums I thought I would see what ideas anyone has to keep their tied leaders from getting tangled or scattered all over the galley table.

"I am looking for a better method of storing my tied salmon leaders. I've tried keeping them in Zip-lock baggies, hooking and wrapping them on pipe insuilation (and foam swimming tubes) and haven't been very happy with anything I've tried so far. Just as many others do - I like to tie-up both herring leaders and hootchie leaders ahead of time.

Before I start putting together a system of spools on a modified paper towel dispenser for my Trophy, I thought I would ask and see if anyone had a go-to method that keeps their 6-foot herring leaders under control. Thanks in advance. "

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Default Me too

I've been researching storage options for the same tackle and think this might work. Anybody else?

Lure Box

We use Pipps storage containers for our steelhead and salmon leaders. It might work for you too. Google them.

JKD
    Here is what i did and it works great for me. I tie the leaders with JUST the hooks and leave the other end untied. I store the leaders in 4x4 4 mil zip lock bags i bought on Ebay for CHEAP. I tie them extra long and when i am on the water i add the squid. I dont add the "softwear" until i need them. I do tie up a few or the herring rotators and have them ready to go. You can tied up a ton of leaders with hooks and store them in a very small bag or box. I store my squids and such seperately. It only takes just a minute to rig one once the hooks are tied. I then trim the leader to the length i want and finish it with a double surgeons loop. It works great for me.

Default Found Pip's

At Mack's Lure...Pip's Leader Caddy

Default Vacuum Pack

When I finish making a complete set up I coil them and then Vacuum pack them with a food processor. You can make what ever size bag you need and this keeps them individually wrapped so you only have to open one at a time. Everything lays flat stays untangled and takes up very little room. Works very well for me. I like this well enough that I have individually packaged several with out separating the bags, punched holes in the bag and stored them in a three ring binder. I get six Halibut set-up per page.

Default Pips

PIPS, I have about 10 of them filled with different sized hooks, line diameters and even by length. Just grab one or two of the correct sizes and away I go for a day or weekend. Quick to grab one out and retie in seconds.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

I make these Rigging tables that have a place for pre tied leaders and also some spools of line you may need to tie up some rigging. The pre tied leaders are just wrapped around foam pipe insulation you can get at the hardware store and cut several of them wrap your leaders on then just slip them on the axle they come off very easy and the table gives you a place for everything you need.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are a couple pictures that show the leader holder a little closer.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice little tackle/bait station.

Thumbs up Nice Table Gundog!

Your table is a logical extension of what I have been considering - in my case I was looking over some of the ideas some of the local charter skippers have installed on their boats and some have a roller/dispenser almost exactly like yours in the pictures. I can zap together a very similar roller unit out of aluminum flat-stock and a piece of aluminum dowel stock. I happen to have a number of plastic line spools out in my storage compartment

One question, Gundog - do you wrap any leaders on the spools on the left side? All of my herring leaders have a bead swivel on the end - I could hook the trailer hook into the end eye of the bead swivel on the last leader wound onto the spool and just continue the process and wind them on one at a time. The "Line Keeper" is a idea I had completely forgotten about - I bet that helps keep everything all together.

Last spring I posted an answer to the question for gear storage with a description of my milk crate organizer for keeping salmon gear together in one space and my halibut jigs, circle hook gangions, and lead weights separated and organized in another crate. The salmon leaders have been the last hold-out for organization. Your picture gives me a good idea for a leader dispenser mounted right inside my cabin door.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I am not planning to start the project until March so if anyone else has an idea I would like to hear (or see) it.

Heres something that is tackle bag friendly:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

One question, Gundog - do you wrap any leaders on the spools on the left side? All of my herring leaders have a bead swivel on the end - I could hook the trailer hook into the end eye of the bead swivel on the last leader wound onto the spool and just continue the process and wind them on one at a time. The "Line Keeper" is a idea I had completely forgotten about - I bet that helps keep everything all together.
    I keep line for dropper weights & leader material on the spools.

I put my pre tied leaders on the pipe foam wrap. When I fish SE AK I tie up a bunch of mooching rigs and put them on several foam pipe wraps and just put them on the axle.

If you cut the line at the end of the leader at an angle you can push the line into the foam and wrap the line around itself when you get to the hooks just snug it up and let the tip of the hook stick in and it holds it until you are ready. If you have bead swivels in the end just wrap the line around on top of the swivel and stick the hooks it will hold them fine. When you need one just pull the hooks out and it unrolls real easy.

Mike

Wow, what a nice work station you have created. Impressive.