Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shops in Anchorage

Default Shops in Anchorage

I am going to be heading in to Anchorage next week and will hopefully have time to hit a few gun shops. I'm new up here and haven't shopped Anchorage yet, so I am looking for input as to which gun shops I should try to get to. I mainly want to peruse the selection of used rifles and get some reloading supplies. I was thinking Boondocks and Great Northern Guns, but what others am I missing?

Default Shops

Turpin Gun and Pawn located at the corner of Turpin and Debarr is going out of business I believe. They have been running a 10% off deal. They usually have a fair selection of used firearms.

Gun Traders on Muldoon has a few firearms too. He's got a descent selection but he seems a little pricey to me.

I don't know if either has a very good selection for reloading supplies. Ammo King (on Boniface, by the Glenn highway) has reloading supplies.

Tim

Both of those are great places to visit. But for reloading supplies you need to make a visit to Sportsman Warehouse.
    Tennessee

Boondocks, boondocks, boondocks. These guys are great to talk to, super friendly, very knowledgable, and fully reasonable when it comes to prices. I'm lucky enough to live within 2 miles of the shop, so I might be biased, but that's the only place I go.

-Brian

Boondocks is a great place. I also live within 3 miles of there and the help is always first rate. I usually buy 3-4 guns a year from those folks. But no one has the selection of components of reloading supplies that Sportsman Warehous has.
    Tennessee

Question

Any Savage dealers in town? The savage website shows one in Wasilla, but none in Anchorage.

I don't believe there are. Bonndocks ordered mine for me.
    Tennessee

When Iím in Anchorage, I hit Sportsmanís Warehouse, Great Northern Guns, and Boondocks in Eagle River. In my opinion they are the big 3 to go to. Northern Security for your CC items, is the best.
    An unarmed person is a victim waiting to happen.

I believe Sportsmen's Warehouse handles Savage.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Gun shops

Hello,
    If you are into paramilitary, go to the Ammo Can on Dimond near Arctic. I've seen some nice used rifles at Great Guns on Old Seward near 76th.
    Ammo King on Boniface has an interesting collection of rifles and pistols- some used.
    I've been to a couple of interesting gun/pawn shops out in the Valley- don't know if you are going that far North. e.

Walmart sells savage and can order whatever the make.

Actually, Wal-Mart cannot order any Savage. They can only order the blind mag models, but none with a hinged floorplate or detachable mag. At least that is what I was told at the two I stopped at in ANC.

Great northern guns is always one of my stopps when I have to go ingto the big city. Really nice staff that dose'nt mind just shootin the bull. Last time I was in I asked about express rifles, wich I obviously cant afford. They actually pulled out some of there private collection pices and some not for general public guns for me too look at! One of there customers had been to the range and stopped in to pick up a new drilling he had purchased next thing I know I'm looking at 3 Krieghuffs 2 Merkels and a couple of others this guy had in the truck with him! I for one because of how they treated me will go there first when I make my next gun purchase.

Just one not employed by or affiliated with Great northern guns, Alaskans opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    Walmart sells savage and can order whatever the make.
    I tried to order two different Savages and two different Ruger rifles from our local Wal Mart over the last 12 months. First, management about through a fit and then they would not honor the price listed on Wal Marts web site. Then when I agreed to there higher price the rifles never came in anyhow.
    Total waste of my time. I just went to Boondocks and had then within 3 weeks for the same or slightly less in price.
    Tennessee

Boondocks is my favorite, I have bought two pistols from them in the past two months, and 5 firearms in the past few years. No one in town could touch the price of the most recent handgun I bought. $150 cheaper than sportsmans.

That shop on Tudor, won't go there anymore. I could walk in with $1000 cash and no one will help me.

Sportsmans in great for reloading suppies. When I have priced out rifles and handguns there, they tend to be a little high. But that could just be the particular items I was looking at.

One place I will NEVER EVER go to again is that store on Boniface by DJ's. I walked in one day, couldnt get help eventhough I was going to buy a gun right then, then someone working there made some kind of noise iwth a pocket device that reminded me of a round being touched off from a 44 mag. I thought shots were fired and was about to take cover.

All you guys that are 2 miles from boonies must be my neighbors.

A good selection of used guns is usually found at Gun-runners on norther-lights across from sears. He'll come down almost always on the price on the tag to something more than reasonable. I just got a very nice super redhawk in 454 casull for 450 bucks there Last week. But I do probably buy a dozen or more guns from him a year so I mighta got special treatment on that one. But I have never felt ripped off from him, and will usually accept his lowest offer cause I trust its fair.

I Like sportsmans for the huge selection, prices seem average, customer service sometimes feels below average though.

I dont care for great northern guns, their prices are just about as high as Wild West. But the staff seems knowledgable and they have a good selection of new and used guns. But you must know what you are looking at to get a good deal.

Great guns was another favorite but they have closed their doors for good. Also turpin gun didnt have much left last I checked. They used to be pretty good too.

Just go to them all. HEHE

I'd take a look at Boondocks at the sportsmans show to see if they have any really good deals there. Last pistol I bought was a good deal at the show.

Great Northern Guns and Mountain View Sports are good gun shops to stop by. Mountain View Sports carry's some Savage guns, I've seen the 375 H&H model there anyway.

Back when I lived in the Valley I used to buy something from Boondocks every year or so.

Since I moved back down to Homer, I have been buying at least one gun a year form Great Northern Guns off Tudor.
    They have let me play with several guns and scopes at once to help make up my mind....
    During one period when I was up there doing national guard time, my little test went on for days.... Eventually I bought $1,500 worth of rifle and scope from them at the end of the week.
    I walked out with the scope mounted and bore sighted as well, for no extra charge....

I could have bought the same thing over at Sportsmans warehouse for a few dollars less, but they (S.W) did nothing to help me out and most of them don't know nearly enough to be working there...

Alex
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Great Guns on Old Seward near 76th..........
    Not anymore. Chuck retired and closed up shop at the end of last month. Still kicking myself for not taking a S&W 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt off his hands quick enough.
    Now what ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast