Thread: Good used sled for hunting/utility?

Default Good used sled for hunting/utility?

I will soon be in the market for a snowmachine, but know next to nothing about them. My primary use will be for hunting and hauling loads of materials for building a cabin. It needs to be as fuel efficient as possible and reliable as well as able to handle potentially rough trails and deep powder. I'd like to be able to find something used for around $2K.

So what do the experts recommend? Does such a machine exist in that price range? I don't need it to be fast.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default 2 options

Since speed is not a concern, 2 good options would be:
    an older Bearcat 340 or 440 - it has a long wide track, can haul a good load, and is good on gas.
    or
    A Yamaha Bravo...it is the only 2 stroke Yamaha still makes. It's good on gas at 250cc and is more reliable than anything on the market. It's nerdy looking and slow, but who cares...won't get you stuck - you can lift it with one arm. They are under 4k brand new, but hold their value...you should be able to find an older one for 2k.
    Both are hard to find in good condition for a good price, but they are out there if you search.

Thanks Kotz! I have read a bit about the Bravo, and I looked at some of the Ski-doo entry level machines. I know the Bravo is a tested and proven machine. My only concern with it is the engines size. Being only a 250, will it handle heavy loads okay? They aren't being sold new in the states anymore, not that that matters in my case since I'll be buying used.

I had an 80 Yamaha SS 440 that I bought a few years ago for about $500. It was reliable and had plenty of power. I am kind of partial to Yamahas, since I have Yamaha fourwheelers I've been very happy with.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I have no experience with the Bravo. They have a loyal following. The SkiDoo equivalent is the Tundra. I watched a guy with the old style Tundra load up 10" of sheetrock and 1/2 cord of wood on an akio style sled. I was betting that he would have to hit it or at least get some help getting it moving. He took off with no problem at all. I do not know how much it weighed, but it was impressive.

I haul with a 300F and a 550F Tundra. I go across a lake then over deep powder and up a 7 foot incline.

I just played on the same machines at Hatcher Pass today. They did great even thought the snow was not deep enough.

Default BearCat

I have a 1998 Bear Cat 340 that I'm going to sell soon PM if your interested.

Default 2k will buy you all the machine you'll ever need for hunting and fishing

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I will soon be in the market for a snowmachine, but know next to nothing about them. My primary use will be for hunting and hauling loads of materials for building a cabin. It needs to be as fuel efficient as possible and reliable as well as able to handle potentially rough trails and deep powder. I'd like to be able to find something used for around $2K.

So what do the experts recommend? Does such a machine exist in that price range? I don't need it to be fast.
    I've ridden and worked on machines since I was a boy. Over the years I've developed an opinion about work machines. You have the heavy haulers, and the "smaller haulers". The polaris Widetrak, Bearcats, VK's, Vikings, Skandic WT and SWT are the heavy haulers. As dirtofak had stated his observation of a small tundra hauling a heavy load....they are geared nice and low and have a clutch that engages and holds tight at a low RPM. As Sayak has stated in previous threads regarding his experiences with a Yamaha Bravo.....he's hauled loads of firewood and other various things....all while putting thousands of miles on this ONE machine. The smaller haulers include the Tundra, Tundra LT, Bravo, Tundra ll, and the bearcat 340. To a certain extent....the Polaris indylites, and polaris 340's are also a very nice little machine. I don't consider the new tundra a be a "small hauler" they have a very large motor and weigh much more than the older Tundras. No machine to this day can match the light weight of the older tundras and bravos. If you are an outdoorsman.......a Tundra ll is one of the finest machines EVER. I believe the motor is a 277cc and forum member Mr.Pid would be a good source of first-hand experience with this machine. I have an 88 tundra (250 cc), and a 2000 P. Widetrak. I love the Tundra and hope that my son will share it with me..... I've been weaving it through the woods where no trail exists...........

Default Thanks for the replies everyone!

Sounds like the Bravo and the Tundra are the machines to look for. The gov. computers over here block Craigslist, but I can still get on Alaskaslist. I'll keep an eye out there until I get home. I'm hoping to be able to work on the cabin this next year and plan to take some winter hunting trips, so I need to find one by next fall. I should be home right around breakup this spring.

Default just an opinion

I have always been a cat man LT jags, panthers, bearcats. But know a lot of people with tundras and bravos the only thing with single cylinder machine is you need to learn what they should haul because a lot of people i know over load over load and then they have a lot of maintenance but if you haul a little smaller load they are great machines

I have a whole team of older Yamahas. My favorite one is a mid-nineties (1995?) Phazer with a 136x1.25 track. I think I paid $800 for it a couple of years back when it had about 3,000 miles. It is very light and will float over any amount of powder, but it will still haul a decent load, especially if there is a good trail. It's been used to pull out a completely buried 600 Vmax and is always used to break new trails. I do wish the ski stance was a little wider to help it turn better, but it is still very easy to ride, especially since it is so light.