Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tipping guides — yes or no?

Question Tipping guides — yes or no?

It's customary to tip a waiter and a cab driver but unheard of to tip a physician or a lawyer. If guides are professionals and guiding is a profession, should guides be tipped? Is it demeaning to tip a guide?

We've had several summer visitors ask, and since I don't use guides am wondering what the protocols are for tipping a guide or not.

Default Tips for Guides

From all the guides I have used it is customary to tip around 15%. I think the biggest factor in determining a tip is the quality of service they provide you with. If you have had a good time with them you can tip them well. If things have not gone that well a smaller tip is in order. If I really didn't have a good time or catch any fish I wouldn't tip at all. That hasn't happened yet, hopefully it won't either.

I agree with that. I used a fishing guide out of the Matsu Valley and spent all day on the Deshka, 3 guys, 6 hours, 1 fish, boat broke - we fixed, guide yelled at one customer, bait was bad, and when asked questions he did not have any information about fish or river. He got nothing and I left not feeling bad about it.

Default Tipping

I think its expected. I have not used a guide but I worked for one as a packer. Going into the hunting season I only expected to get paid for my services as a packer, but both hunters tipped the guide and myself. The first hunter gave a cash tip and left his Swarovski spotting with the guide. He gave me $250 and a fancy leatherman. The second hunter didn't tip as well but took a nice caribou. (Dude wouldn't take a shot at a 60"+ bull because he "couldn't get comfortable" so he didn't get a moose and the moose just walked off.)

But yea, I think it is expected to tip the guide, especially if your pleased with the service and had a good time.

Tim

Marcus, are you tying to stir the pot again? Tipping is optional as in any service industry. It seems to be customary to tip a guide but I would not do so on that basis alone. You would be crazy to tip someone who was rude or diminished your experience. If you had a great time, a little extra goes a long way.

Tipper&Stiffer

Default tipping

As a guide, tips are not expected but very cool, however the best possible tip one can offer is a booking for next year.

I read Salmonmans comments - I tip if I had a good time and catching fish or not doesn't affect the tip......its all about the things the guide really can control and I ain't met one yet who can control the catch!

No. I'll start tipping for a "good time" or "quality service" (which is already paid for - if not - what the heck are you paying for, a bad time and poor quality?), when they start tipping me back when they do a lousy job (see "winkhink", above).

Default Yes, no, optional, expected?

Quote Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
    Marcus, are you tying to stir the pot again? Tipping is optional as in any service industry. It seems to be customary to tip a guide but I would not do so on that basis alone. You would be crazy to tip someone who was rude or diminished your experience. If you had a great time, a little extra goes a long way.
    Tipper&Stiffer
    Stir what pot? You've lost me. We get summer visitors who sometimes engage a guide for kings or a charter for halibut and ask us whether they should tip the guide or not. I don't fish with guides, so I don't know.

Offhand, it's my impression that guides are professionals, and as such shouldn't be tipped. I don't tip my doctor or lawyer, and if I had a contractor bid on and, say, redo my kitchen, I wouldn't tip him or his help. Tipping is reserved for segments of the service sector like waiters and waitresses, cab drivers, etc.

So what's the custom — do most folks who engage a guide tip them? What about charter boats for halibut — does one tip them or not? So far, the feedback seems 50/50, either way. I worked as an assistant guide for a summer back in the early '70s, taking Europeans out for kings and Americans for Dall sheep and caribou. I don't remember getting a tip.

Depends on the guide's effort, knowledge, and attitude (and quality gear, etc.). How successful you were catching fish wouldn't stop me from tipping unless any of the above were substandard and contributed to my not catching fish.

On a charter that has deckhands, I'll tip the deckhands but not the captain. The deckhands, I believe, work mostly for tips and the captain does not. Same reason why I won't tip the gal at the coffee stand if she's the owner and is serving me coffee, but I may tip the employee giving me coffee because I think they work mostly for tips, too.

Tipping in general (food, shuttle buses between airport and hotel, etc.) is one of my pet peeves. You shouldn't have to be responsible for some else's wages. And if tips were not expected these days, I would probably never tip.

Default Tipping

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Tipping is reserved for segments of the service sector like waiters and waitresses, cab drivers, etc.
    I know the guide I worked for tipped Trail Ridge Air (the air taxi that shuffled us, gear, and clients to/from the field), but they are a part of the service sector that reflect Marcus' quote.

I agree with a few others though; fellas that book a guide are paying for a quality, well-outfitted adventure, and good service. So, Marcus, darn good question; I don't know if your suppose to tip guides, etc... or not!

Tim

Default Good guide should be tipped.......unless you're a cheapskate

Period!

Trying to compare them to doctors, lawyers, dentists is pretty absurd so hopefully that was tongue in cheek.......(otherwise you're an idiot)

Like one of the earlier posters ...when I went on a halibut charter I tipped the deckhand not the boat driver (who also owned the boat)

A lot of the guides on the river are working for a daily rate for the people who actually own the boat...... they may be "professional" in their conduct but they are hourly workers

The guy I (have) fished kings with owns the boat also but I still tip him.......his equipment is excellent, bait is fresh, he's knowledgeable courteous and entertaining

I tip the same if I catch fish or don't..........YOU are the fisherman.......he's just the guide.......and it's called "fishing" no "catching".......

Only way I wouldn't tip a guide would be if he were somebody I wouldn't go with again or recommend to my freinds

Default Tipping Options

Marcus you are stirring the pot again LOL.

I guide, and I tip if guided based on the guide such as salt water fishing for halibut our charter has been with the same person for 12 straight years and we tip him well then again he works his *&*^ off for us.

When we start a trip i.e. one of our guides or my-self we explain that the trip was booked an paid for and that tipping is not required. We also explain that if their expectations were met and or exceeded and they wish to tip it will be accepted however no obligation either way. If one of our guides is not working his tail off trying to get people in to fish or making positive suggestion on casting directions or methods and I was on the trip I would not tip. So it works both ways!

My expectations when paying for a service is a professional, knowledgeable guide that assists me when needed.

Last year I had a friend book a trip on the lower Kenai hook lots of fish, but never landed one. He stated the guide kept knocking them off with the net when attempting to land the fish. NO TIP.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes

Default Then again........

I also "tip" contractors that do exceptional work........

might be why when I need somebody they drop what they're doing and get'R'done

Default Your choice

Marcus,
    If you truly wanted a yes or no question than I would refer back to AKFISHGUY as he seems to define it best.

I tip anyone for work that I appreciate. I tip my boat motor mechanic, car mechanic, recently a tow truck operator, sometimes it isn't as much as I would like but tips reward hard work and lets someone know their efforts were appreciated and their hard work is worth something to individuals.
    And yes, my wife calls me "cheap" on most things, and I am.

If I had fun, I tip the guide, what's another $40 - $50 after I spent $$$$$$ to get there.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

I work in the charter industry and tipping can make or break a captains/deckhands day also. What people don't understand is that on a charter with a deckhand the deckhand very rarely gets to keep all the tips, usually the captain will take a third or even half, especially if the captain does not own the boat but is a paid captain as well. Also, captains and deckhands are paid by thier employors as if they are "expecting a tip" otherwise on an hourly basis most deckhands would end up under minimum wage if it was broken down into hourly wages and captains would be around 8-10 dollars an hour. it is a service job 100%, and the rule of thumb for tips, usually relates to fishing, you never know what the tip is going to be, the catch doesn't always matter, I have received huge tips for small catches but I worked very hard to get them, also for instance last year a group of 3 landed a 238,150,130 and didn't tip me anything. I'm not gonna lie it does discourage the captain when you get stiffed and you remember who and you wonder why. Was it because I didn't do a good job or do they just not know anybetter, and sometimes there are those "people" who just don't have a good time from the start, I could never understand this point at all, and in that situation you just haft to find some way to deal with it as a captain or deckhand which ends up being like waiting on a table for 12 plus hours and not able to get away from the table.
    I hope this helps a little on the insight of someone in the industry.

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I tip anyone for work that I appreciate. I tip my boat motor mechanic, car mechanic, recently a tow truck operator, sometimes it isn't as much as I would like but tips reward hard work and lets someone know their efforts were appreciated and their hard work is worth something to individuals.
    And yes, my wife calls me "cheap" on most things, and I am.
    yukon: Thanks. . . personally, I detest tipping and consider it demeaning to the person tipped, that's just my take. In my work, I set my price and expect to be paid. Were someone to offer me a "tip," I'd be offended and consider them ill-mannered.

That said, there are segments of society that get by partially at least in terms of tips, and while I don't particularly like it, I try to be generous when tipping— at least 15% in the case of waiters and waitresses. On the other hand, I'd never consider offering my lawyer a tip. That just isn't done.

My name is Brad G. and I want to catch fish. If you (a guide) help me (Brad G.) catch a fish (see below) I will give you a generous tip

It's that simple

brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast