Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunting tripod for my scope

Default Sheep hunting tripod for my scope

I have searched this but didn’t come up with any real good answers. I am looking for a quality, light weight tripod for my Leica 62 scope for sheep hunting. I have shopped around town, but am interested in your suggestions and what is out there to be found on the net. Let me know your thoughts. I am sure AlaskaLanche and Snyd with both have some good inputs. You guys always have some good ideas, and I like your thoughts. Thanks!

AKShawn
    AKShawn

Well since you guilted me into replying. Input/opinions are like you know what so take this for what paid for it. I personally like the the velbon tripods considering the height and stability they provide given the cost, compactness, and how lightweight they are.

This is my current tripod for my spotting scope which is roughly the same size and weight being a Swaro 65mm.

The tripod is right at two pounds, extends to be high enough to glass standing up if you have an angled spotting scope as the tripod itself extends up to 54" which is nice if you are in the dwarf birch brush and want to setup to look at something. Having a tripod that goes to just 36" isn't going to cut it in that instance. Granted for sheep hunting that doesn't matter much as once on the mountain you don't have to deal with much brush....most of the time, but I use this tripod for moose hunting as well and thats when its especially nice to have the added height. Plus the thing folds down to just 13" tall when put it away in your pack which is much more compact than most tripods that only extend half as high.

I'll admit the twist lock legs do take some getting used to. But after using them for the last 3 years I wouldn't buy anything else. They are much faster than the flick locks for setup and take down IME. Just grab the end of each of the three legs and twist all the way counter-clockwise and set that legs to the desired height and then twist all the way clockwise and lock it in place. To lock/unlock all the legs you only have to rotate the bottom of each foot about 360. Really its kind of hard to explain fully without using one, but I'll never go back ot the fliplock. Most people hate them, but I guess I'm the exception. Trekking poles will the twist lock isn't the way to go, but thats a different ball game.

Good luck with your search. I'm sure others will provide other great suggestions for tripods too look into.

Default Hunting Tripod

I have found a company in Arizona called the Outdoorsman that sell/makes their own tripod (and other hunting gear). Come to think of it they are probably like the Arizona version of Barneys in Anchorage. Knowledgeable folks that put practical experiance into building equipment of quality design and materials. I personally own the medium sized tripod: http://shop.outdoorsmans.com/product...8&categoryId=3

and the pistol grip swivel head: http://shop.outdoorsmans.com/product...1&categoryId=2

This is quality equipment that I personally own and can endorse wholeheartedly.

I have difficulty using a spotting scope for extended periods of time due to that one-eyed fatigue setting in. Consequently I use my tripod system to support a pair of Steiner 25 by 80 astronomical binoculars. This system allows me to use both eyes and I can glass for extended periods of time without suffering the dreaded eye fatigue. The Outdoorsman Tripod easily supports the weight of those big eyes in a rock solid manner. It's good equipment....that I was able to find on E$ay at a fraction of the cost of new. I got lucky on that purchase...
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

ex1811 you hit a home run,i too spent some time looking for the perfect tri-pod for my 20x60 and found some real nice light tri-pods,the problem was even in a slight breeze you get movement so out the door with super light and in came the outdoorsman with the pistol grip,no more hurky jerky moves when looking for that spot on the mountain,the only down fall is there slightly heavier. some things you just can't live without and this one i can not.
    I ♥ Big Sheep

I'm partial to the SLIK Compact XL (http://www.amazon.com/Slik-Compact-X.../dp/B00009V316). Not the most heavy duty tripod and may be a little light for a scope of your size, but it is light and stable enough for my 30X Leupold. I've been considering upgrading to a larger Zeiss scope and may have to reevaluate my tripod selection when I do so.

I have a Manfrotto 728B and have used it with my Swaro ATS65 quite a bit. It is solid, even in moderate winds (20-25 mph). However, I probably wouldn't recommend it specifically as a sheep hunting scope as it weighs in just under 4 lbs. Seems there are other options out there that'll save you a pound or so.

Didn't I see in one of Buck Nelson's videos where you mounted his spotting scope to his pack frame, thus eliminating the need for a tripod? Anyone else ever try this? I can't imagine it would be as stable as a decent tripod, especially with wind, but maybe Buck is onto something!

Look at carbon fiber Gitzo...that'd be the one I'd get (if I could afford it).

check out the cullman tripods at mt. view or barneys

I use the Slik Sprint Mini. The ball head feature is a plus for me and the weight is reasonable for packing.

http://www.adorama.com/SLSPM.html?sid=126202658364991

I have had good success with the cullman from Barney's. Small compact, and easy to use. Very reliable with my leupold HD scope on it.

I use the Slik 613CF.....it's the 3 section. If you want one that you can stand fully upright and use, the 614CF is taller. Absolutely no regrets with it....the Gitzo's are nice but they wany higher $$'s for sure

A rock bag is your friend!!!

tm

I have been down the tripod road. I tried to find a balance between weight and stability.
    From left to right.

1. This one I had when I got here. Too heavy. 3lbs 15oz

2. This is an old one, left here by a friend. 2lbs 110z

3. This one is K&K outdoors, the tripod is great, very solid. The pistol grip is nice, but lacks the friction to hold the heavier scopes. I use this one on most motorized hunts. 2lb 15oz

4. Is the SLIK Compact XL, It is much tougher than it looks. Packs EZ and is pretty stable. I too use a bag with rocks when required. Best of all it weighs just 1lb 10oz.

I have all these and live in North Pole if you would like to check any of these out, drop me a PM.

Steve

Default Ballhead for rifle rest. . .

I have a nice tri pod I use for camera equipment but can not find a ball head that will support a rifle rest. Anyone have any info on that?
    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have been down the tripod road. I tried to find a balance between weight and stability.
    From left to right.

1. This one I had when I got here. Too heavy. 3lbs 15oz

2. This is an old one, left here by a friend. 2lbs 110z

3. This one is K&K outdoors, the tripod is great, very solid. The pistol grip is nice, but lacks the friction to hold the heavier scopes. I use this one on most motorized hunts. 2lb 15oz

4. Is the SLIK Compact XL, It is much tougher than it looks. Packs EZ and is pretty stable. I too use a bag with rocks when required. Best of all it weighs just 1lb 10oz.

I have all these and live in North Pole if you would like to check any of these out, drop me a PM.

Steve

I use a Manfrotto #486RC2 ball head, on a Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod, that I use for a large scope...rock solid set-up....

Resurrecting the dead.

I bought a vanguard Alta last weekend and am wondering whether I should take it back or not? It seems like it would work fine but I am thinking it is too heavy. Cabelas had a sale and I had a discount so I only paid 100$ for it. I am wondering whether I can get something lighter and functional for around the 200$ range? I got the 57 inch version. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...s#productChart

I plan to put a 20x60x85 spotter on it. I see barney's has the vortex summit SS on sale.........

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I plan to put a 20x60x85 spotter on it. I see barney's has the vortex summit SS on sale.........

http://www.sandsarchery.com/Slik-624...-p/sk624cf.htm

Abovr is a very nice carbon fiber tripod. I own it and like it a lot. I believe a lot of people spend a ton of money on optics and skimp out on the tripod. A nice tripod will make your spotting scope work much better. I had a ball head for to save weight but switched to a pan head and I don't regret that decision at all. Below is the 2 way pan head I use. I like it a lot!

http://www.sandsarchery.com/Vanguard...-p/vph111v.htm

I currently have a cheap ball head that I fight but it works. When looking at "upgrading" to a pan head I cant imagine throwing another 10+ oz on top of the spotter.
    NRA life Member JVJ

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    I currently have a cheap ball head that I fight but it works. When looking at "upgrading" to a pan head I cant imagine throwing another 10+ oz on top of the spotter.

Do it!!! You won't regret it. Once I switched I can't imagine going back. It makes glassing and really scanning an area much better!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I really like the vortex at barneys, I'm assuming its the same model your talking about as i can't recall the exact name.

I have the same vanguard alta as you and a cullman nanomax 220. i cut the foam and bottom legs off the 220 (they are so spindly they are useless) and for my sheep hunts i put the alta head on the cullman (all up weighs 1lb 14oz) then for my moose and caribou hunts i screw the head back on the alta and use that.

the cullman head is a cheap crappy plastic head that i threw away, which is why i decided to switch the vanguard head on and off depending on my hunt.

you can get the cullman 220 for $50 online.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast