Thread: New to Forum and Looking for Advice

Default New to Forum and Looking for Advice

Hello

I am new to your forum so would like to introduce myself. My name is Kevin and I live in Northern British Columbia. I am a recreational private pilot who owns and flies a C170-B.

I have a question regarding removing frost from wings. I currently tie down outside and do not have access to a hangar. I have noticed that when I remove my wing covers, I still have a fair bit of frost on my wings. I would like to ask the group here what each of you do to remove frost from your flying surfaces.

I currently preheat using a Red Dragon heater. I was thinking that an easy way to defrost the wings might be to open up some inspection plates and direct some the the hot air up into the wings? I am wondering if this would work and what some of the negative sides of doing this might be?

All opinions welcome

Thank You

Kevin

Get some wing covers.
    I use a Red Dragon as well, but those things really put out some heat and your fuel tanks are inside those wings.....!!!!

I have used extra long metallic hose section, a broom and a ladder to help loosen frost from metal wings. From the outside...

Please don't blow up your C170.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Frost under the wing covers? I don't worry about it unless there's a rough buildup. Yesterday I took off with crusty snow on the fuselage and light frost on the wings and tail where the covers had condensed and re-frozen some light vapor. No problems. In fact if you fly a while and land in temps just below freezing you'll notice a little frost will form on the wings as the plane sits. Again, no problem. If you're concerned with how much is too much? Grab an old-timer pilot you trust, show him your wings, and ask him for his opinion. That's the best way for new guys to learn.

Occasionally on days when the weather won't bite you it's a good idea to take the wing covers indoors to dry out. Your frosting will decline and the shock cords will fit better.

Default garden sprayer

If you have enough frost to concern you, get a small garden sprayer heat up some RV anti-freeze 120-130 deg F spray it on. for less a problem I use a med. stiff brush and brush it off . Now being retired if it needs to be sprayed I go back inside and wait for better conditions.

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Frost under the wing covers? I don't worry about it unless there's a rough buildup. Yesterday I took off with crusty snow on the fuselage and light frost on the wings and tail where the covers had condensed and re-frozen some light vapor. No problems. In fact if you fly a while and land in temps just below freezing you'll notice a little frost will form on the wings as the plane sits. Again, no problem. If you're concerned with how much is too much? Grab an old-timer pilot you trust, show him your wings, and ask him for his opinion. That's the best way for new guys to learn.

Occasionally on days when the weather won't bite you it's a good idea to take the wing covers indoors to dry out. Your frosting will decline and the shock cords will fit better.
    Mr Pid, you always have the right answer. It'a always good to see you responding to questions posed by the less experienced. Hope you stick with it for the next hundred years!

Regards,

Mort

Default Black Plastic

In another month or so when the sun starts getting a little warmer you can try covering the wings with some black plastic visqueen in the morning. It will absorb the heat from the sun, insulate the wing a little and melt the frost. Sweep off the frost and water with a broom after it softens up. It works most of the time but not if your in a hurry.

RMK

Default I have used a piece of rope

I have "mesh" wing covers, and sometimes the weather conditions cause some frost to build up after water gets through the mesh.

I have a 10 foot piece of rope I throw over the wing. Get a helper and kind of slide it back and forth. Frost will come right off. If it's "clear ice" that is another story.

Good Luck. I would stay away from using heat to melt the stuff. You're just going to cause water that will run in to the cracks and hinges of your control surfaces that can re-freeze.

Try using Rejex on the wings. It seems to shed the ice that gets under the covers, hence, the ice sticks to the cover and not the wing. I used it on just one as an experiment and now use it on both.

Also, RV anitfreeze freezes. It just does not freeze hard( kinda slushes) and it does not expand. Won't melt ice on frozen surfaces.

GR

Quote Originally Posted by portagecreek View Post
    Also, RV anitfreeze freezes. It just does not freeze hard( kinda slushes) and it does not expand. Won't melt ice on frozen surfaces.
    Just like the big airlines do, you have to spray it on hot. Ice releases very nicely if you use it correctly.

Hmmmmm, sometimes the obvious escapes me. I will try a teakettle of RV anitfreeze next time.

GR

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default Good Morning

GR how are things up the lake?