Thread: Canning river Regs

Default Canning river Regs

I'm thinking of doing a float hunt with my father and brother in-law. My father and I are pretty seasoned but my brother in-law could be considered a rookie up here. So I was thinking of float hunting for caribou with maybe a moose as a side. I was thinking about the Canning River. However, I was looking through the regs and if I understand them correctly it looks like there's no moose hunting in that area. I have Mike's book, a great resource by the way and thanks mike for the help. It talks about moose hunting so I just thought I would check and see if anyone knew anything about moose and the Canning. Can you moose hunt on the canning?

Also, what's the most economical way to get in there. Charters are pricey so I'm willing to drive to get to Happy Valley or Deadhorse. I've done it before so I know what I'm getting into.

If the Canning doesn't sound like the right spot, any other ideas. I'm trying to keep costs down. I would head up to the NW but I think this year costs might prohibit that...with a kid due here in the next month. Thanks in advance for the help.

Default couple of comments...

If you figure out a cheap way to do it patent the idea and sell it... It's expensive. (period) If you fly from the south side you'll spend premium dollars. If you drive north and then fly you will still spend a lot of money and run the risk of spending "unexpected" money if you find yourself grounded due to frequent low land weather issues...

I've talked with several guys who have been up there. I've never heard of moose being an option. Caribou... Ya they are up there but not in the numbers you might be imagining. I know guys that have said they had to work hard for their caribou.

As for the river. Water levels can be the devil. That river braids alot... How does dragging a cataraft for 30 of the 80 miles sounds??? Add 3-5 days to the trip just to make the pick up point...

My suggestions would include going as light as possible, use something like a pro-pioneer canoe for each two hunters (max)...

It's "doable" but not an easy trip. Plan by doing all the research you can. There are several agencies that govern the area. There are numerous "outfits" that recreate the area. There plenty of folks that have chewed the tundra first hand. Find them, talk with them, learn from them...

Last but not least...

Prepare by getting equipment that will work in any condition rather than stuff that will work only in the best of circumstances.

Good luck...

Thanks for the info. I'd heard that there could be some shallow conditions encountered but several of the reports I'd read didn't make it sound that bad. Maybe they went earlier in the year when it was wetter. You make it sound like this isn't a fruitful float. Any other suggestions to look into?

Default North Slope

the rivers on the north slope have been very low in recent years, and with the lack of snow again this year you better plan on lots of dragging. If you go make sure you have equipment designed for very shallow water, no Catarafts! No moose hunting up thats open to harvest tickets. Your not going to hunt Bou and moose without spending a good deal of money no matter where you go. Your better off just sticking to caribou.

Default fruitful?

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'd heard that there could be some shallow conditions encountered but several of the reports I'd read didn't make it sound that bad. Maybe they went earlier in the year when it was wetter. You make it sound like this isn't a fruitful float. Any other suggestions to look into?
    Beautiful, remote, isolated, bear, caribou, muskox, sheep, wolves and the best fishing anywhere! But there are plenty of warnings to heed before jumping in head first... AKhunter02 nailed it...

Default Canning

Hunt south of the Range for Moose.

I travel to the Canning a couple times each year and where I go is a take out point for floaters. I have talked to them, Half are tourist just floating and half are hunters. Plenty of bou.

The Colville River has moose but I am pretty sure it is a drawing permit. Check the regs!