Thread: ice fishing

Default ice fishing

went out to finger lake today with the family to go ice fishing and right when we where about to leave, i looked over to my right and i saw my chocolate lab take off after something like 100 yards away so i grabbed my jack russell terrier and told her to go get it. and when i got over there my lab had her head in a cubby and there where 2 entrences to the cubby and my terrier was waiting by the other opening then a muskrat can running out and my terrier grabbed it and killed it. then we came home and skinned it and now it is stretching... it was a pretty cool scene

Default Should read regs

Before bragging about that one!

Did you videotape it and post it on YouTube?

Wow and there are only what 2,000 LEO's who are members here!

Ignorance is no defence in a court of law.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Intent has a lot to do with ethics and the law. So you are out ice fishing and your dogs get after a critter, what can you do? It's not like he (a kid) was out chasing foxes with a pack of hounds. Big deal.

OK doing this as a learning experience

1) Intent to harvest fur barring game with a dog was established by "I grabbed my jack Russel terrier and told her to go get it." Jack russells were originally bred for hunting small game, he/she comanded the dog to "go get" what could only be preserved as a animal to any prudent individual.

2) The poster then further incriminates themselves by stating "then we came home and skinned it" demonstrating a clear intent to keep the hide.

Having your dogs under control at all times is also the law, using a crime as a excuse for committing a crime is hardly ethical!

Intent has nothing to do with the law! Ask any LEO it makes no diferance if my intent was to drive 55 mph but I was actually going 70mph whether my speedometer is broken or not. If I kill someone drunk driving I'll be going to jail even though my intent was to go home, not commit murder.

The fact the poster is a young person makes our pointing out the regs even more important. Learning that knowing and following the rules is very important for all hunters/trappers is one of the basic traditions and ethical edicts of hunting/trapping. No LEO would cut him/her any slack in the field and we should uphold the highest of ethical standards at all times. The"Big deal" is he/she committed a crime and without our guidance they might not have learned form there mistake. Personally I can think of very few things lower than a poacher....other than an individual who turns there back unethical, illegal, behavior. After all whats the big deal it's only the law.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rick,
    great job you did there on that soapbox! lighten up alittle....

Release Lake Trout

It's even funnier when you're at Finger lake and one of the kids that is with you screams HEY WHATS THAT! pointing at a little critter running across the lake about 50 yards....Hubby who is a very large and tall man, scoots across the lake like he was on ice skates, weighing 100lbs and obtains his rat (without the graphic description).... I wonder if they consider a shovel...trapping.

Rick, I didn't see where you were harsh in anyway and in a very educational way explained your thoughts to this younger person. Young people need as much help as they can get when it comes to learning the regs.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

i think some of u guys need to lighten up on this kid. He probably didnt relize he wasnt suppose to say anything on here until after he clicked post thread.... im sure he learned his lesson
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 12-30-2009 at 12:56. Reason: Corrected language

redsox,

It doesn't help your case any by posing as someone new and calling yourself "retarded". Good to know you learned your lesson but I know many parents who have received tickets for violations their kids have done.

Take care.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I'm not really sure what the big deal is here? But, c'mon, court and a (single) muskrat all under one thread? Some people need to settle down and get their heads examined.

Its probably not that big a deal but the troopers will make it a big deal to some extent. Probably go to his house talk to him and issue a ticket for harassment of wildlife or illegal method or means. I'm pretty sure he has a trapping license so that will save him some greif. Or if they are in a good mood they will lecture him on the rights and wrongs and be done with it. Only problem with that is its all over this board now and if they give him a warning someone will scream foul when they dont get a warning. Tough lesson but I bet hes learned now.

Default Muskrats on ice

I guess the real question for me is wether or not he had a trapping license in his possesion at the time.
    If he did I am fine with this as he did utilize the fur.
    If I remember right Muskrats are listed in the regs as a fur bearing animal witch requires a trapping license to harvest.
    Not that people should try to get game in an unfair and illegal manner but if he had the proper license and utilized the fur I cant see punishing him for one muskrat.
    The ones who I don't like are those who must "Kill It" then leave these little critters behind never to be utilized.
    It is not right to do this kind of thing and commanding his dog to get it might be considered intent to commit a crime I just can't see the point over one muskrat. Especially since he salvaged the fur. If on the other hand he would have left it on the ice to freeze and rot then I feel he should be punished with a small fine or something of that nature.
    You are right Rick it probably is a crime but in my book not worth serious punishment.
    And yes you should think before posting as if I remember right there have been people prosecuted for admitting to and posting pictures of fishing violations on this site. Think before you post!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    redsox,

It doesn't help your case any by posing as someone new and calling yourself "retarded". Good to know you learned your lesson but I know many parents who have received tickets for violations their kids have done.

Take care.
    Thats Funny!! I read his post and thought, "wow thats an odd comment for a new member to make on their first post". Makes sense now!

Default Oh no!

The golden retriever I am watching killed a vol that was running across my driveway this morning. I took me the better part of an hour to skin him with my Bowie knife but after fleshing him and stretching him I think he will make a nice rug. Do you have to seal vols in AK? Its a good thing the Golden got to him before I got my 45/70 out because I was in fear for my life! Should I call the troppers?

Redsox... time to suck it up and pay the piper. Get those regs out and read em again.

On a more serious note about 7 years ago my girlfriend and I were driving through Wyoming and I had by 2 year old German Shorthair with us. We decided he need to get out and have a walk. So we pulled over to the side of the road near a nice little river. I grabbed the poop sacks and leashed the dog and headed down the path to the water. We got to the the water and out of sight. I decided we were in the middle of nowhere and I really had to pee so I half azz tied my GSP to a willow and took two steps forward to do my buissness. Well low and behold mother mallard duck came blowing out right under my feet. I think I screamed like a little girl and nearly peed myself. She was flying and walking away from me acting injured meaning the duckling were near by. After I gather myself and looked around the dog was nowhere to be seen. Oh crap....

I whistled and here came the duck and the dog running/flying down the middle of the shallow river at Mach 9. I must of been one heck of a sight me whistling and yelling and running up and down the river and the GSP and the duck doing laps around me. Well all turned out fine, mother duck and baby ducks came out unscathed. Dog got a big no no talk (although he was just doing his job catching the wounded bird) and I got my exercise for the day. My girlfriend laughed for a week. I now double check my knots. Live an learn.